Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-21-2021, 10:25 AM

1 posts, read 729 times

Advertisements

Hi, my family is moving to the Big Island near the end of summer. We want to sell or donate most of our things before we leave but there are a few things it would be nice to get shipped over there. Like my kid's new bed, my husband's fancy computer and boxes of books. Not nearly enough to justify a whole container, but more than we want to ship individually. We have family that can pick up the items once they arrive in Hawaii so it doesn't matter when you plan to ship as long as it is before approximately September. We live near Seattle, WA.

Thanks for considering!

PS- Also, we are open to comments on shipping household things (like books or beloved stuffed animals, etc) if this doesn't pan out! Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-21-2021, 10:55 AM

6,384 posts, read 4,835,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Einewman44 View Post
Hi, my family is moving to the Big Island near the end of summer. We want to sell or donate most of our things before we leave but there are a few things it would be nice to get shipped over there. Like my kid's new bed, my husband's fancy computer and boxes of books. Not nearly enough to justify a whole container, but more than we want to ship individually. We have family that can pick up the items once they arrive in Hawaii so it doesn't matter when you plan to ship as long as it is before approximately September. We live near Seattle, WA.

Thanks for considering!

PS- Also, we are open to comments on shipping household things (like books or beloved stuffed animals, etc) if this doesn't pan out! Thanks!
You may already know this but USPS has a low-cost "media" rate that you can utilize for shipping books. You can get away with adding a few non-media items to a box of books (like stuffed animals). The service is slow because it will travel by ship and may have to go to Honolulu first.

USPS also offers "If it fits, it ships" boxes which I used to ship small, heavy, items (ex. knives, flatware) to Maui.

Aside from those two options, shipping to the Islands is expensive. There are some freight consolidators who will combine your items with other shipments and earn you a price break, but I understand the process is very slow.

After I moved over, I hand-carried dishes and other fragile items as carry-ons each time I visited the mainland. It is really disappointing that you can't put anything inside vehicles being shipped.

Best of luck!

Old 05-21-2021, 12:20 PM

5,528 posts, read 12,676,166 times
I haven't looked at them for a while, but will PODs do?

Old 05-21-2021, 12:54 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,920,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Futuremauian View Post
Aside from those two options, shipping to the Islands is expensive.
What do you consider expensive? Isn't a 20' container under $2,000?

Old 05-21-2021, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I believe it was more than that when I checked 8 years ago. $2,000 isn't expensive if that is correct.

I was thinking of the times I've started to order an item online that was maybe $12.00 "with free shipping" and then discovered that shipping to Hawaii was $50-60.00 extra.

I do seem to recall that a POD was as much as a shipping container.

I moved to Maui with two suitcases and various carry-ons. Most of what I brought has since been discarded. I still have a few Tommy Bahama silk shirts but I rarely wear them. Now I wear mostly TB T-shirts and board shorts, even to work.

Last edited by Futuremauian; 05-21-2021 at 01:29 PM..

Old 05-21-2021, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
I think we paid $7,000 to ship a 20' container from Denver to Hilo in 2010. Maybe that includes what we paid a company to pack it for us.

Old 05-21-2021, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
I think we paid $7,000 to ship a 20' container from Denver to Hilo in 2010. Maybe that includes what we paid a company to pack it for us.
From Denver, did you think that was expensive? That actually doesn’t sound that bad.

Old 05-22-2021, 04:31 PM

Just putting it out there for information.

In 2021 dollars, it's probably around $8,000.

Old 05-22-2021, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Just putting it out there for information.

In 2021 dollars, it's probably around $8,000.
At least to me that seems cheap. Your goods had to get presumably to LA - and that’s a decent chunk of change. It likely went to Honolulu - then on to the Big Island. You essentially paid a bit over $2/mile which really seems cheap.

Old 05-22-2021, 06:10 PM

For many of us, our mainland furniture is too large for Hawaii homes plus it provides a reason to get new stuff. Most of my new living room furniture came from local furniture stores and Costco. A few pieces I ordered online and paid a lot for shipping.

My bedroom furniture I bought second-hand from a couple who recently purchased a furnished condo here as their second home. They are wealthy and she wanted all new stuff.

It is modern Tommy Bahama style, and in pristine condition, complete with glass tops on each piece. I added a new mattress.
$250 for the set. It replaced the expensive Thomasville furniture I gave away to my girlfriend's son when I moved here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: