U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 11:03 AM

2 posts, read 33,565 times

Advertisements

Hi there, thanks for taking the time to read my Q. My husband, infant daughter and grandmother have the opportunity to move to the big island for a job. His job involves traveling all over the island, so we have some freedom in choosing where we live. The only thing holding us up is the Vog issue. I've gotten a lot of info from the Hawaii DOH website, but I still don't understand how severe of an issue it is. I realize that right now it's worse because of the volcanic activity. Is there an area of the island that consistantly has bad air quality? Is there an area that is rarely affected by Vog? From your perspective, is it enough of a health issue for children that you would turn the job down? Does it compare to any mainland cities' smog problems? Obviously, I'm so excited at the prospect of my daughter experiencing her first years of life in such a beautiful spiritual place. I want her to have first hand appreciation of how amazing our natural world is, but if this move is going to harm her then we will stay put. To put it plainly "How bad is it?"
Sorry, I'm a new mom and insist everyone "Gotta see the baby!" (Seinfeld ref)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2008, 12:23 PM

216 posts, read 1,146,319 times
Hi!

My husband and I have had the incredible opportunity to raise our two daughters here. We moved here as newlyweds, and now have a doubles team to play tennis with.

I won't lie though, the vog has been an issue for us. We have lived most of our seventeen years here in Waikoloa, on the leeward side of the island. Both of my daughters have had asthmatic attacks, especially when they were little. Now, when the vog is heavy, there is a lot of coughing. I won't say that the vog is the only cause of the asthma,(mold, pollen, animal dander, dust, etc. are big triggers) but it definitely contributes to labored breathing and tends to complicate the situation.

Lately, the sulpher dioxide that has been pouring into our air is causing some different problems. Headaches, skin rash, and nasal congestion are a few of the symptoms. As long as there are the tradewinds, the vog is kept in check. When it's still around here though....well, it's not good. We don't play tennis!

Who knows how long this will continue? Maybe it will stop today, maybe never. We don't know. I do wonder about what the long term effects will be...unfortunately, we won't know that until the long term!

Our family is moving back to the mainland at the end of this month. Our decision came long before Pele started her heavy breathing. While we will always call Hawaii "home," it will be nice not to worry about the vog. All in all, not once have I regretted moving here. It truly has been a wonderful place to raise our family.

Well wishes to you in making your decision to move here or not.

Old 05-03-2008, 12:25 PM

216 posts, read 1,146,319 times
I wanted to say too...ADORABLE baby! You are from St. Augustine? I love that place...it's somewhere I have thought of living.

Old 05-30-2008, 11:06 AM

3 posts, read 43,546 times
There are cities on the Big Isle?

Old 05-31-2008, 04:02 PM

60 posts, read 385,042 times
i am not sure u can excape vog. 2 weeks ago it was so thick i coudnt see the ocean from my house =( to me that was the worst part.. and i live on OAHU. but like 007 said i herd of people gettin headace.. and asma flareing up.. lol. its crazy tho. by the time it traved from big island.. it was so fine and odorless. i felt like i was in a steven king novel (the mist)

anywayz. its not year round. at least on oahu. i hope its not like that wen i go to big island. good luck. =)

cute kid BTW

Old 06-25-2009, 11:13 PM

68 posts, read 236,455 times
Aloha! Well I guess if youre going to be on the Big Island, the most vog-less place would probably be in the Kohala or Hamakua coast areas. You would be on the other side of Mauna Kea from the volcanic activity. And the trade winds coming onshore from the NE should blow the vog away from you. Hopefully. Malama pono!

Old 06-26-2009, 12:01 AM

3,199 posts, read 12,823,989 times
North Kohala does have less vog. Hawi and Kapa'au are charming villages although areas can be pretty windy. Honoka'a is also a nice place, not much vog and not too much rain either as in Hilo.

I live in Kailua Kona and the vog varies sometimes day to day. It is irritating to many peope, some don't notice any effect but all are affected by the esthetic effects; we miss our clear days!

But I still would not live anywhere else!

Old 07-02-2009, 12:33 AM

65 posts, read 280,406 times
I live on the wet side of Waimea just 15 minutes mauka of Honoka'a. Living in the misty, rainy windward areas, specifically Honoka'a, Hawi and Kapa'au are your best bet. And the many clear days are fabulous!

Old 07-03-2009, 12:14 AM

432 posts, read 1,144,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happydazemama View Post
...To put it plainly "How bad is it?"
It can be pretty bad.

It's also pretty unpredictable as to how it will affect any particular individual -- and very hard to know whether there will come a point where a previously unaffected individual will start to be affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynthia007 View Post
...it definitely contributes to labored breathing and tends to complicate the situation.
Absolutely

Quote:
Lately, the sulpher dioxide that has been pouring into our air is causing some different problems. Headaches, skin rash, and nasal congestion are a few of the symptoms. As long as there are the tradewinds, the vog is kept in check.
Your experience of the "collateral" effects is very similar to what I have observed.

And yes, as long as the trades are strong and steady, the least area is affected (but that means that those in Ocean View, Pahala, Na`alehu, and particularly Wood Valley are badly affected.

There have even been days when I've been in Honolulu during kona winds and you couldn't see Waikiki or downtown from the airport.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawika52 View Post
Aloha! Well I guess if youre going to be on the Big Island, the most vog-less place would probably be in the Kohala or Hamakua coast areas. You would be on the other side of Mauna Kea from the volcanic activity. And the trade winds coming onshore from the NE should blow the vog away from you. Hopefully. Malama pono!
Actually, in my experience even lower Hamakua can be very, very bad when the trades abate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kohala Coast tennis View Post
I live on the wet side of Waimea just 15 minutes mauka of Honoka'a. Living in the misty, rainy windward areas, specifically Honoka'a, Hawi and Kapa'au are your best bet. And the many clear days are fabulous!
Agree. Interestingly, though, one other place you wouldn't expect to be good is actually the very lower end of Puna, particularly the Opihika`o and the Kapoho areas. But much mauka of that -- Pahoa and Kurtistown and Ola`a, for example, can be bad.

Last edited by 7th generation; 07-05-2009 at 05:24 AM.. Reason: please, no links to other forums

Old 07-07-2009, 03:52 PM

12 posts, read 50,261 times
what abt kihei vog there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island