Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 04:43 PM

88 posts, read 96,167 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Regarding fiber internet, you should be able to see it flying in from the street to homes in the area if it's available.
Amusing enough, I looked at photos of houses on realtor.com and Google Maps. I see either 1 or 2 or 3 wires going from the street pole to houses. I assume thickest wire is electricity and two other are internet and phone? When one wire goes in I only see the breaker box on that house, when two or three wires go in I see one or two additional smaller boxes next to the breaker box. See attachment. Anyhow, useful info. You can see a lot via realtor.com and Google Maps combined about power/internet.

---

Is it possible to have solar power with fiber internet without connecting power from the grid?
Attached Thumbnails
Kaʻū district - Oceanview and Ranchos (doing our research)-screenshot-2022-02-14-15-38  
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-14-2022, 08:07 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
The smaller gray box sort of looks like my internet connection.

Yes, I am off grid with internet. You can either have a dedicated, small inverter for internet only when going old school 12 volt, or just plug into a wall outlet as in a normal house if a large inverter is converting your DC solar voltage to household 110V AC.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:33 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveler105 View Post
Amusing enough, I looked at photos of houses on realtor.com and Google Maps. I see either 1 or 2 or 3 wires going from the street pole to houses. I assume thickest wire is electricity and two other are internet and phone? When one wire goes in I only see the breaker box on that house, when two or three wires go in I see one or two additional smaller boxes next to the breaker box. See attachment. Anyhow, useful info. You can see a lot via realtor.com and Google Maps combined about power/internet.

---

Is it possible to have solar power with fiber internet without connecting power from the grid?
Hawaiiantel doesn't care who provides your power. What they do care about is distance from the nearest utility line to your house. If one has grid power, they are set, because they will follow the connection, if not, one might have to add pole(s) for them to string the fiber on. If you call for service, know how many feet it is from the easement to where the fiber is going to terminate. They will tell you if you need poles or not. The pole requirements are pretty severe for a fiber line. I believe it's 4 inch diameter minimum, sunk crazy deep (but they have no way of measuring how far the poles are sunk so the metric is irrelevant) for a fiber optic line that could be held up with a broom handle.

Old 02-14-2022, 08:55 PM

Quote:
The smaller gray box sort of looks like my internet connection.

Yes, I am off grid with internet. You can either have a dedicated, small inverter for internet only when going old school 12 volt, or just plug into a wall outlet as in a normal house if a large inverter is converting your DC solar voltage to household 110V AC.
Good to know!

Old 02-14-2022, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
Hawaiiantel doesn't care who provides your power. What they do care about is distance from the nearest utility line to your house. If one has grid power, they are set, because they will follow the connection, if not, one might have to add pole(s) for them to string the fiber on. If you call for service, know how many feet it is from the easement to where the fiber is going to terminate. They will tell you if you need poles or not. The pole requirements are pretty severe for a fiber line. I believe it's 4 inch diameter minimum, sunk crazy deep (but they have no way of measuring how far the poles are sunk so the metric is irrelevant) for a fiber optic line that could be held up with a broom handle.
Alright! Thanks for info. So if driveway is too long we may need an extra pole on our property?

Old 02-14-2022, 09:44 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Quote:
Alright! Thanks for info. So if driveway is too long we may need an extra pole on our property?
Due to most OV lots being narrow and long, unless you want to situate your house close to the road, you'll need a few poles installed (I've got four additional poles to carry utilities to the back of my 2 acre parcel).

Old 02-14-2022, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grassyknoll View Post
Due to most OV lots being narrow and long, unless you want to situate your house close to the road, you'll need a few poles installed (I've got four additional poles to carry utilities to the back of my 2 acre parcel).
Wow, good data point. I read that easement with electric company may take 3-4 months but could could not find cost to install extra pole. Does anyone know the cost to install extra pole?

Old 02-14-2022, 10:59 PM

10,547 posts, read 7,739,679 times
Quote:
Wow, good data point. I read that easement with electric company may take 3-4 months but could could not find cost to install extra pole. Does anyone know the cost to install extra pole?
It ain't cheap. I believe you have to hire someone besides the utility company. A neighbor had one put in, plus a bit of carpentry work done at their place by a contractor, and the price paid was $3800. After getting that bid she asked me if this was reasonable. I really had no idea.

Another important factor is whether the line running along the street is on your side of the road or the opposing side. I was lucky to have it on my side, so my pole is a ground contact 4x4 8 feet tall, placed in a concrete saddle by myself. From there the cable is run inside plastic conduit through the jungle to my house. You can either bury the conduit or not. Must run a string through the conduit as you put it together so the cable can be pulled through with it later.

This scheme may not be an option in HOVE, ask the provider in the area. The Hawaiian Tel workers who came to scope my install were the ones who suggested this method to me. About $200 worth of materials plus my labor was far more agreeable aesthetically and financially than hiring someone to install an industrial grade pole. No way the average Joe can do that.

Edit: To be clear, if you're on opposing side of the street the entry pole has to be much higher, naturally, for the cable to clear the road at a safe height. Hence the need for a bronto, steel pole set deep into concrete.

Last edited by Arktikos; 02-14-2022 at 11:10 PM..

Old 02-15-2022, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Another important factor is whether the line running along the street is on your side of the road or the opposing side.
Something to keep in mind when investigating lots!

Old 02-15-2022, 11:16 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,380 times
Quote:
I can't speak to cost or what the current SOP is for installing a pole. Mine are pressure treated logs, about 45' that were simply placed in excavated holes and back-filled with boulders. My property is on a (relatively) recent lava flow and no soil means no worries about rot on the end placed in the hole. A property with soil would likely require a diffrent aproach.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island