Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2022, 01:11 PM

65 posts, read 69,219 times

Advertisements

Tax records indicate the lot was purchased for $10,750. It wasn't listed, I know because I have alerts for every lot that comes up for sale in that development, and never saw one. Probably purchased from those flyers I get, ya know, the ones that say "I'll buy your land for half of what it's worth."

How much you think it cost to build that shanty? $20k is my WAG.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2022, 10:41 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dobanion View Post
Tax records indicate the lot was purchased for $10,750. It wasn't listed, I know because I have alerts for every lot that comes up for sale in that development, and never saw one. Probably purchased from those flyers I get, ya know, the ones that say "I'll buy your land for half of what it's worth."

How much you think it cost to build that shanty? $20k is my WAG.
Lot prep, water system, sewer? Dunno, probably looking to double their money for sure.

Regarding the shanty comment, the place has a helluva lot more appeal to me than a convential kit home package.

Old 03-08-2022, 02:39 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,582,090 times
About a 1,000 years ago, as a child I lived in a house with a leaky roof and no indoor plumbing. I have zero interest in resuming that "life style".

Old 03-31-2022, 10:00 AM

65 posts, read 69,219 times
Ad is down, I think the place sold. The tax records will show a sale, but not for a couple months after it's done.

I'll add that in the same neighborhood, another unpermitted shanty went up for sale at $150k.

Old 04-01-2022, 11:45 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
If they're unpermitted and you don't like them, complain to the Building Department and the owners will pay fines until they either bring it up to code (if that's even possible) or tear it down. A bank won't loan on an unpermitted structure, so these folks will be out whatever cash they used to buy the place.

Old 04-02-2022, 09:30 AM

10,559 posts, read 7,758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
If they're unpermitted and you don't like them...

It looks as if there's no one to "not like" so far. The place has apparently sold, that's all he/she has reported.

Not clear to me if dobanion is living next door or just owns a vacant lot there.

Old 04-06-2022, 05:59 PM

65 posts, read 35,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
You haven't been to Puna in awhile. Lots of people with high paying jobs here now. Remote workers. A house recently sold on my street for almost half a million dollars. A few years ago it would have been about half that. Most of the subdivisions have fiber gigabit internet now that didn't exist a few years ago to attract remote workers.

Same thing has happened to Maui and Kauai. Available housing is almost nonexistent. Affordable housing is nonexistent. A friend of mine on Kauai's house has gone from 400k to a million in value. People from California and elsewhere buying houses sight unseen.
"Affordable" is in the eye of the buyer.

Old 04-20-2022, 05:14 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,164,105 times
Looks like that shanty sold for 1k over listing.

Old 04-23-2022, 12:38 PM

26 posts, read 35,833 times
It seems like there are a lot of unpermitted homes on the BI. Everyone who buys unpermitted is really okay with potentially having to tear their house down, and losing all of that money? Amazing.

Old 04-23-2022, 02:34 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,904,348 times
We only know a few people living in unpermitted situations, and all of them see it as temporary. The value is in the land (or land's potential) and not the structure because they are building permanent permitted homes on the property.

On AG land (most of Puna) it's legal to have up to 600 square foot building without a permit. It's not legal to live in it, but sometimes people do, and when they eventually move into their real home, they still have a legal farm building. They don't have to tear it down or lose any money.

And for the people who do live in unpermitted situations without any intention of changing that status, it's better than squatting on somebody else's land or being completely homeless.

We had neighbors who sailed here and had their sailboat moved to their property, and they lived in it while they built their house. They did almost all the work themselves and built a nice custom permitted home. When it was ready to move into they sold the sailboat. After living in the house for a few years they sold the house at a $300k profit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island