Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-15-2022, 03:08 PM

16 posts, read 17,553 times

Advertisements

Aloha all,

I plan to establish water service and billing soon. I am asking for a recommendation for running water from my water meter on the roadside to my property 150' below and about 1000' away. Plumber?

Is this something I need a permit to complete?

Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2022, 09:44 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Where is your property located? Won't do any good for me to recommend a plumber on the opposite side of the island from you.

Old 05-16-2022, 12:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaming of Hawaii View Post
Where is your property located? Won't do any good for me to recommend a plumber on the opposite side of the island from you.
Kona side - near Holualoa. Thx.

Old 05-16-2022, 04:04 PM

13 posts, read 15,173 times
I'd be interested in any referrals for the same thing but on the Hamakua side. I will have a long run, probably around 1-200' to get water from the road to the main house. Trying to figure out cost.

Old 05-16-2022, 06:47 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,663,767 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuildBliss View Post
Kona side - near Holualoa. Thx.
Maybe post on Konaweb. We don't have a lot of Kona residents on this forum.

Old 05-16-2022, 07:10 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,897,043 times
A friend of mine in Kona hooked a spigot up at his meter. He paid a handyman $75 to do most of it.

The cheapest way to move the water 1000 feet is with irrigation tubing. Two rolls of this will do it. They sell fixtures to attach it to a regular spigot. https://www.amazon.com/Raindrip-0520...f_=as_li_ss_tl

Old 05-17-2022, 11:49 AM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terracore View Post
A friend of mine in Kona hooked a spigot up at his meter. He paid a handyman $75 to do most of it.

The cheapest way to move the water 1000 feet is with irrigation tubing. Two rolls of this will do it. They sell fixtures to attach it to a regular spigot. https://www.amazon.com/Raindrip-0520...f_=as_li_ss_tl
When using poly-tubing for your water lines, take into account that if the line will transit across where a vehicle may run over the exposed line, you'll need to either shield it or purchase a thicker walled tubing designed for that level of abuse.

Old 05-20-2022, 02:53 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Technically, a licensed plumber is required when doing plumbing. Especially to a dwelling. If this is for a permitted dwelling, then you'll need a licensed installer.

For that length of line, you'd probably want some professional advice in order to get the right size of pipe. There's also a pressure reducing valve which will probably need to be installed.

Kona side, many of them seem to just run PVC over rocks. I really don't see how that's a good thing, but you'll see a whole pile of PVC pipes running along the top of the ground over on that side. I'd think one car going off the road could cause a major amount of mess, but that's what they do.

Old 05-20-2022, 01:07 PM

Location: Southernmost tip of the southernmost island in the southernmost state
982 posts, read 1,162,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Technically, a licensed plumber is required when doing plumbing. Especially to a dwelling. If this is for a permitted dwelling, then you'll need a licensed installer.

For that length of line, you'd probably want some professional advice in order to get the right size of pipe. There's also a pressure reducing valve which will probably need to be installed.

Kona side, many of them seem to just run PVC over rocks. I really don't see how that's a good thing, but you'll see a whole pile of PVC pipes running along the top of the ground over on that side. I'd think one car going off the road could cause a major amount of mess, but that's what they do.
Exposed pvc makes it pretty easy to track down leaks and who wants the expense of trenching through lava

Old 06-14-2022, 08:19 PM

Smile Progress

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post

Thank you all.

There are good on-line calculators for sizing water tubing, it seems. For 1200' a 3/4 inch ID pipe loses 15 PSI, while a 1" pipe loses only about 5 psi. A 150' downhill increases pressure by about 65 psi. I found some black 1" polyethylene irrigation tubing at Lowes' website in 100' coils for about $65/roll. It's rated at 100psi.

I've seen pressure regulators that perform down to about 5 psi, so with either 3/4" or 1" tubing, I have enough pressure at the outlet just from the hill drop. I'd feel better if the tubing were rated at 160PSI, though, but that's harder to find and more expensive. I'll also need a backflow preventer, by code even though the source is way up hill.

No way I'm going to trench the rocky ground. I'll put it with the other 8 pipes already running along the rock wall.

I still need a plumber to check my parts choices, and, hook it up, though I'd like to cut cost by running the 1200' myself.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: