Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2008, 08:04 AM

67 posts, read 269,727 times

Advertisements

I was wondering what was the cost of high speed internet on the big island? How expensive is water and electricity on average and what type of cell phone coverage is best for the hilo area. Any information on neighbor hoods in and around hilo would be greatly appreciated. Also is there any sports bar or grills in hilo or cafe's that has free wi-fi.

thanks richie
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2008, 04:57 PM

62 posts, read 223,518 times
High speed internet is the same as on the mainland. I have Time Warner Cable TV, HSD, and Telephone for $99 per month. I have a catchment system so the H20 is plentiful and free. I am about 25 - 30 minutes from Hilo. As for electric it is very high however, I find that I use very little. I do not have air conditioning as ceiling fans provide adequate climate control for me. Personal experience is that AT & T has the absolute best coverage overall on the Big Island. Just my 2 cents worth.

Old 10-16-2008, 05:42 PM

1,375 posts, read 6,304,014 times
I have Verizon for my cell provider and am very happy with it.

I think Kope Kope (at Hilo Shopping Center) has free wi-fi, but I'm not positive...

(Can't give you any accurate info on electricity--we have on-demand hot water and my SO does recording sessions from home, so much extra use when he is working. Much will depend on your life-style.)

Old 10-16-2008, 06:00 PM

45 posts, read 177,639 times
Electric rates...sit down before reading!
Electricity Rate Comparison by State

Old 10-16-2008, 08:27 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,031,211 times
Well, that's a misleading graph! We just wish the power was twenty eight cents a kilowatt hour. On the Big Island it comes out to forty five cents a kilowatt hour when folks look at their bills.

Figure electricity at forty five cents a kilowatt hour, water at about thirty dollars a month. That is, if you can get County water, not many places have water service.

Old 10-16-2008, 09:00 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,260,262 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilobound View Post
I was wondering what was the cost of high speed internet on the big island? How expensive is water and electricity on average and what type of cell phone coverage is best for the hilo area. Any information on neighbor hoods in and around hilo would be greatly appreciated. Also is there any sports bar or grills in hilo or cafe's that has free wi-fi.

thanks richie
The cost of high-speed internet varies on the Big Island, depending on whether one has DSL, cable, or satellite or a "package deal." My "package deal" (High-definition cable, DVR, high-speed internet, and phone service) with Oceanic Time Warner is about $140/month (after taxes). Here are links to a couple of the largest high-speed internet service providers on the Hilo side....
Oceanic.com
Hawaiian Telcom: local, long distance, internet and wireless services for your home

Keep in mind that high-speed internet isn't available in all parts of the Big Island, and in some cases, you might not have much choice in terms of providers.

I have a catchment water system, and water purification, filtering, and testing supplies average around $15/month, so it's not exactly "free." As for electricity costs on the Big Island, it's currently around $0.50/kilowatt-hour. For comparison, in Southern California, electricity is currently $015/kilowatt-hour. As for cell phone coverage, I have AT&T and the coverage is excellent in Hilo and quite good in most of Puna.

As for neighborhoods in and around Hilo, what's your budget? There are plenty of good neighborhoods and a few not-so-good neighborhoods.

As for free wi-fi, here's a link....
free wi-fi Hawaii

Old 10-17-2008, 02:38 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,183,060 times
Wow so candles are good in area is what your saying! What do you think is better - not that I have been there yet.. but cooking well hell never a good BBQ right? I was gonna ask propane or power but answered my own question. LOL

Old 10-17-2008, 06:45 AM

So if the water is somewhat free then how much is sewer....do most people have septic tanks and how often do they get emptied....i think we are going to rent and i have been looking at this place for around $2000 a month all utilities and 2300 sq ft in hawaiian paradise park is that resonable for the slowed economy....but any suggestions would be great on where to live and what to expect.....do most houses have air condition or do they use fans to lower electric bills and does it get hot at night......do people watch football mainly NFL in Hawaii?.....what are some of your electric bills because it sounds really high? thanks for any input.

Old 10-17-2008, 07:15 AM

I read on another thread that people who have trucks should bring them to hawaii because they go for premium price and are fewer and farther between.....can you get jobs based on having a truck or do people have need for trucks at a job stand point....I have a 2500 HD silverado its a big truck....does anyone know how much it costs to ship a large vehicle and how long does it take to get there? thanks for any help you can give me

Old 10-17-2008, 07:44 AM

45 posts, read 177,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotzcatz View Post
Well, that's a misleading graph! We just wish the power was twenty eight cents a kilowatt hour. On the Big Island it comes out to forty five cents a kilowatt hour when folks look at their bills.

Figure electricity at forty five cents a kilowatt hour, water at about thirty dollars a month. That is, if you can get County water, not many places have water service.

WOW.....all I can say is this just goes to show how first-hand info is often more reliable than what you might find on the internet!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island