Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2016, 11:42 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,596,327 times

Advertisements

But none of the permitted structures mentioned in the county code are legal as living space. (Although it is widely done).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2016, 03:19 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,022,266 times
Yup, until someone complains and then there's a problem with living in the storage shed.

Old 04-01-2016, 09:47 PM

4,412 posts, read 4,898,602 times
To be clear, the exemptions on building permits are for accessory structures. An accessory structure is something in addition to the legal permitted structure. If you have a permitted home, yes, you can build an AG shed, doghouse, playhouse, etc on the property if the accessory (or detached) structure meets the definitions of what is allowed.

The code exemption on accessory structures (or detached structures) do not apply to structures on otherwise vacant land. In this example "vacant land" is inclusive of any property where there isn't a permitted home.

Last edited by terracore; 04-01-2016 at 09:59 PM..

Old 04-02-2016, 03:09 AM

Is this kinda like you can't build a guest house until you have a dwelling to have a guest house to go with?

Old 04-02-2016, 06:04 AM

14 posts, read 26,333 times
It all depends on your zoning. If you have Ag zoning with min. 5 acre you can build non-dwelling structure upto 1000 sq ft without permit. As I pointed out earlier, it all depends on your zoning. They actually have funny rules and allowances depending on your programming/use of your property and zoning placed on said property.
Funny thing about the building department, you can get variance and exception for just about anything it is just a matter of who you talk to and how it's said. I have seen exemption of life safety issues like sprinkler issued in a 100+ unit SRO with a green handshake with the alderman. Construction business has always been one of the dirtiest business in metro areas where construction companies often run by mafia and building department run with bribes. That's why I no longer work as an architect.

Old 02-06-2018, 09:26 AM

2 posts, read 3,709 times
Any comment on County oversight of unpermitted structures more recent than 2009? What issues are trending lately? Are neighbor complaints increasing with the passing years? Are County regulators utilizing Google Maps to keep track of out-structures? How would I find this out?

Old 02-06-2018, 10:39 AM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by almost_hawaiian View Post
how about a new house that doesn't have a final? is that a headache to buy? i'm looking at one that i guess had all the building permits but didn't pass the final inspections because of a few problems (one window too small, a missing fire door, drywall put in before electrical inspection). so the house is still on temporary pole. it's foreclosed and the bank wants cash.
When we bought our house, the garage permit had been pulled but not finaled. 8 years later (in 2017), we got it finaled by having an inspector come out. No charge, simple process. The garage had been built according to the permit and codes. so there were no problems. Your mileage may vary.

We did look at a property that had several tiny, unconnected buildings, I assume to avoid building codes. The bathroom was 15 feet from the bedroom, along a muddy path with no roof, and the kitchen was over there... What a mess.

Old 02-06-2018, 12:41 PM

From what I've heard, they're now using some sort of satellite imagery (not Google from what I heard, but don't know the program they did use) to locate un-permitted structures along the Hamakua Coast. At least, that's the only area I know of at the moment but what I know is quite limited. Several folks from that area have contacted me about doing 'as built' permits for them, but I don't do those anymore. With the new building codes, the chances of their structures fitting within the new codes is about nil and the remedial work necessary to make them legal is more than I want to deal with. And I'm only drawing the blueprints, not actually doing the renovations.

They may also be looking for un-permitted structures in the Puna area and those folks would be looking for draftspeople/architects/engineers in that area to fix their problem.

The previous structures were (more or less) built to the Uniform Building Code (as revised by Hawaii County). Now the code is the 2006 International Building Code (as revised by Hawaii County). So there's a lot of changes in the new IBC code that structures built to the old UBC code won't cover. Hard to change stuff such as larger foundations and braced walls.

Last edited by hotzcatz; 02-06-2018 at 12:49 PM..

Old 02-06-2018, 07:50 PM

10,889 posts, read 7,379,877 times
I understand that even "as built" permits will require septic upgrade, a huge expense.

Old 02-07-2018, 01:33 AM

Yup, and the cesspool to septic change is just the beginning.

The term 'as built' is rather misleading. It doesn't mean you get to get your house approved the way it was built, it just means you are getting your permit after it was built. This also brings a different level of scrutiny to the plans and methods of construction than if you're doing a standard permit. Since it frequently means someone made a complaint, they're careful to make sure everything is to the current code.

Because of the drastic changes between the old Uniform Building Code and the new International Residential Code, it's almost guaranteed that the house requiring an 'as built' permit isn't built to the current IRC code. So it will require lots of expensive remedial work to bring it up to the current codes as part of the 'as built' permit. No more cesspools, much bigger foundations, new requirements for braced walls, bigger lumber sizes, etc. The 'as built' permit will also need to have the electrician and plumber who installed the job to sign off. And, if they aren't licensed, then a licensed electrician and plumber will have to be found who will check the job over and sign off on it.

So, to start with, an 'as built' homeowner would need to find someone up to speed on the current codes. Then that someone would have to look at all the construction details of the house and try to find a way to bring it up to current codes. Then get the "as built' plans drawn up, get the permit. Then find someone able to do the work.

IMHO, just stay away from the whole mess if you can. Don't buy a house without a permit, don't build one without a permit.

There are some structures that can be built without a permit, but none that will be legal to live in.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island