Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2007, 08:36 AM

2 posts, read 23,967 times

Advertisements

We are moving to the Hilo area. I will teach and my husband is a handy man. Any information on schools for my children, 11, 15 and 17? Or tips for them? I have heard that new students have a difficult time. Any information onthat could help us would be great!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2007, 11:03 PM

13 posts, read 159,866 times
New students have the same issues here they have at any new school. How bad those issue are is more a matter of the individual than the school. And we all know that teenagers can be trouble sometimes. There is only one private school that i am aware of in Hilo. It is a catholic school called Saint Josephs. I have friends with kids that go there and they love it. Again school issue usually seem to increase based upon school and city size (this is true anywhere). I suggest your kids get involved right away with some clubs or sports teams, that always makes it easier in a new school. Having moved 6 times growing up I know what being the new kid at school can be like.

And finally, welcome to Hilo, it truly is paradise here!

Old 01-30-2009, 10:19 AM

3 posts, read 7,711 times
We are also looking into moving to HAwaii for 1 year - our children will be going into 10th, 7th and 4th - What are cute towns with character we should be looking for??

Old 01-30-2009, 10:36 PM

3,199 posts, read 13,395,399 times
Where will you be working, that will make a difference in where you live.

All of our towns are cute, by the way. Hawi, Kapa'au and Honoka'a being my favorites.

Old 01-31-2009, 08:58 PM

11,050 posts, read 24,024,330 times
Hilo is a cute town with character. Hawi and Kapa'au are more along the line of cute villages and Honoka'a is a very small but cute town. We have no cities on this island.

Do you have a job already lined up, Marief? In yesterday's newspaper there were fourteen help wanteds and sixteen foreclosures so things aren't real good around here.

Old 02-01-2009, 04:50 PM

5,529 posts, read 12,666,240 times
mcayer, why are you moving to Hawaii for only one year with kids in those grades? Is it a one-year job assignment? Because if you are just looking for fun, which it sounds like when you are asking about "cute towns", then you should be asking about the schools above all else. Most of the schools on the Big Island are struggling academically, and you could be hurting your kids, especially the one in high school, by sending them to sub-par schools.

Old 02-01-2009, 11:16 PM

96 posts, read 619,913 times
waimea has a nice charm to it too but is bigger than the others listed. i have family in honoka'a, actually im related to half the town haha. it is what remains of the old sugar plantation and mac nut workers. mostly if not entirely japanese. cute mom and pop shops, there is one 'main' st that has these stores and there is a k-high school. cooler climate and naturally rain which is true for most of the BI. with the exception of Gold Coast of course
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: