Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-02-2009, 08:56 PM

96 posts, read 620,009 times

Advertisements

This is for anyone whose trying to get tickets to this years festival
I was just wondering if anyone has received their tickets yet. I sent my request in the day after Christmas and know that they should be sending them back soon. (according to website it was end of Jan or beginning of Feb)

Please let me know if you have received them, I'm really hoping to go this year, thought I'd try to get some tickets the old fashioned way, if I don't get 'em I might have to use some connections.

Has anyone ever been? How did you like it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 03:31 PM

11,053 posts, read 24,035,149 times
Take a seat cushion, the seats are VERY hard. Being at the Merrie Monarch is a lot different than watching it on TV. Generally, your seat isn't as good as the TV view and you don't get the commentary they have on the TV. However, you do get to see the audience and watch the dancers as they prepare to go onto the stage, smell the flowers, see a whole lot more details that don't show up on TV. Being there in person can't really be compared to watching it on TV since it is so different.

There is a lot of consideration done for the TV, though. They don't want the audience to do anything to mar the TV experience, sometimes there are pauses in the dancing to make time for station breaks, etc.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:22 PM

1 posts, read 4,358 times
I sent my request in on Dec. 28, and the Merrie Monarch folks sent back my check stating that over 1400 requests were received on Dec. 26 alone (!) and that they were all sold out.

Old 02-26-2009, 08:42 PM

67 posts, read 269,752 times
where does the event actually take place? and why is there a limited amount of seating? Is it inside?

Old 02-27-2009, 12:17 AM

it is at the tennis stadium in Hilo so they are physically limited on seating based on the space, plus many tickets are also set aside for the halaus who are competing to then give out to family etc. i wish it could be at a bigger location so that more people could enjoy the experience of being there, though watching it on tv is also nice

Old 02-27-2009, 10:47 AM

And there are a LOT of tickets sold to some sort of tour agency which resells them to Japanese tourists. Over 50% of the audience was Japanese tourists and they came in on tour buses. How they manage that when tickets are supposed to be sold in groups of no more than four except to Halaus, I dunno, but it's not my kuleana anyway.

Sometimes you can find someone selling extra tickets by the door or online. The tickets are good for all the days of the festival and sometimes folks don't want to go to all the days or not everyone in their group can go for all the days so they will have an extra seat. The tickets are seat specific, though, so it is hard to find extra seats side by side.

There are free hula presentations before the Merrie Monarch as well as craft booths and a parade and all sorts of other hula events in Hilo that week.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:24 PM

hotzcatz,
i just secured some tickets through my auntie as she has plenty connections and we are sitting near/with a bunch of japanese tourists =) so yes many will be there. i suppose i should practice some japanese before i go. i was thinking of just going early on those days to get any extra tickets that someone might have as i know some people who have had luck doing that in the past. though i'm relieved that know i have reserved seats and dont have to worry about finding tickets for the three nights.
mahalo plenty to all
now i just gotta worry about my okole. ah sitting for that long

Old 03-03-2009, 09:23 PM

If you are up in the bleachers, then you will be sitting on concrete, so TAKE A CUSHION! Don't ask me how I know this.

If you'd like a preview of the stadium, there is a big plant sale this Friday and Saturday so you can get a look at the stadium and locate your seats. The plant sale opens on Friday at 5:00 so there will be a huge rush then, but it will mellow out pretty quickly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island