Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2009, 11:52 PM

1 posts, read 2,380 times

Advertisements

I have lived in a small town in Alaska my entire life, only leaving once when I was 10 for a Disneyland Vacation. I would love to move to Kona, and was wondering if it is the place for me. I am single, no kids and can do anything I set my mind to. I also am a college student who would like to go to school there. Does anyone have any suggestions? Even a better place in Hawaii to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2009, 12:22 AM

96 posts, read 619,819 times
first off no one could tell you if you should move or if moving to a certain location is the "best" choice for you. you yourself have to visit and experience it first hand to know if it fits. dont move somewhere on a whim, it may only cause headaches and money. many people learn the hard way after moving to hawaii without ever visiting or thinking that it will be the same as their vacation. living and visiting a place (anywhere around the world) is very different.
i suggest researching areas of interest on the various islands then saving up for a trip out to see which suits you best.
right now the economy sucks here like on the mainland, though it is worse here as tourism is down, companies aren't really hiring but rather laying off workers. many people are struggling just to afford to pay for the necessities.
as far as kona goes the nearest university is in hilo. too far of a commute so if you are seriously thinking of continuing your education id first check out the various universities or community colleges and see what majors they offer that you might want to pursue, then go from their to decide which areas you might want to live.
kona is also going to be the most expensive area on the big island. you should figure out also what kind of budget you have then you can decide if you want a house or condo etc. more info would be a lot better

Old 03-16-2009, 02:26 AM

11,049 posts, read 24,014,485 times
KoaHawaii is right that the nearest college you'd probably be attending is in Hilo. There is also a big university on Oahu if you want more city life. The University in Hilo has been growing lately, there's more college kids around town now, but it's still a small town.

Kona is actually a district on the Island of Hawaii, not a town at all. The town you'd be looking at would be Kailua, but since there is also a popular town called Kailua on Oahu, the one on this island is generally called Kailua-Kona so we know which one is which.

How about taking a vacation and checking the place out first? It is hard to decide to move somewhere without going there first, isn't it?

Old 03-16-2009, 01:44 PM

4 posts, read 14,358 times
I have lived in Barrow, Bethel, Kodiak and Sitka Alaska. And I am moving to The Big Island of Hawaii in 7 days. I reviewed blogs, postings, forums, utube videos on the big Island before I made my decision. So I suggest doing alot of this before you decide.

Old 03-16-2009, 11:52 PM

65 posts, read 289,101 times
Kaseygirl82, Koahawaii offers good advice. This decision is not to be made lightly. Thank you Kodiaktokau for your post. Kaseygirl, maybe communicate with Kodiaktokau and follow his/her adventures. What you learn by these observations, in addition to your own thorough investigation, will help with your decision. Be careful. Do not be in a hurry to decide. Malama pono.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island