Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-10-2009, 02:44 AM

16 posts, read 101,721 times

Advertisements

So we're thinking about buying a house in Puna and there are two areas we're curious about right now: the South Kulani Road area and HPP. Having lived in Hilo for a few years we're reasonably familiar with Puna, so we know about stuff like how Mountain View is wetter, and the commute from HPP to Hilo can be a pain. But are there more subtle issues that we should know about? If either of these areas were infested with centipedes, or was experiencing a sudden spate of burglaries, for instance, we probably wouldn't have noticed.

One more thing - we sometimes travel separately for a few weeks at a time, so we'll both be on our own every now and again. That doesn't bother me at all in Hilo but I probably wouldn't last 5 minutes by myself in, say, a creepy cabin in Eden Roc. Would you feel OK on your own in the areas we're considering? I know things can vary a lot over short distances round here and I'm not being very specific, but your opinions are welcome!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2009, 03:08 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,020,110 times
Well, drive over there and ask some folks! They would know.

Old 08-22-2009, 04:05 PM

3 posts, read 8,403 times
Default Mountain View Theatre

I miss the Mountain View Theatre. I ran the projectors there when I was young and I miss the community we had here.
I was saddened when the old Theatre collapsed the other day, it seems symbolic that the old fades away.
I hope the young will rebuild Mounain View into an even more beautiful place to live than when I was young.
Aloha

Old 08-22-2009, 04:21 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,012,572 times
there is ir was a forum for puna try punatalk or google. they had lots of great info last time I looked

Old 08-22-2009, 04:24 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hothulamaui View Post
there is ir was a forum for puna try punatalk or google. they had lots of great info last time I looked
There is I tried to join couldnt emailed them got nothing in return....

Old 08-22-2009, 04:49 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,012,572 times
koa I think one member posts here very now and again. leilani guy might be his id maybe he will post again soon

Old 08-22-2009, 09:12 PM

1,490 posts, read 4,181,869 times
Yes Leilani guy the person - It is Punaweb/Punatalk ... I signed up last year but haven't been on it for months. They should respond at some point in time.

I stayed in Puna alone didn't feel any issues of saftey. HPP should be fine, know a single gal that lives their, have friends in Mt View that haven't complained. just check out the chickens etc next door. For the most part in looking at houses I didn't get much of a bad vibe. One house I looked at twice with months apart. It was vacant - decent shape - no lock on door - no vagrants or vandles for being open. I also liked Leilani area. Good luck

Old 09-10-2009, 03:37 PM

3 posts, read 8,403 times
Default Eden Roc is fine

Hi,
I grew up in Puna so perhaps I am a bit biased. I now reside in a nice (permitted) home in Eden Roc. Creepy cabins are few and far between these days. There are 6 brand new homes on my road, two older homes and yes, one creepy cabin. All the neighbors are watchful of each other and there has been no crime in the nieghborhood for years.
My wife runs several miles each morning in our area and has only reported kindness and friendly people.
good luck on your search.
Aloha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sliceoftoast View Post
So we're thinking about buying a house in Puna and there are two areas we're curious about right now: the South Kulani Road area and HPP. Having lived in Hilo for a few years we're reasonably familiar with Puna, so we know about stuff like how Mountain View is wetter, and the commute from HPP to Hilo can be a pain. But are there more subtle issues that we should know about? If either of these areas were infested with centipedes, or was experiencing a sudden spate of burglaries, for instance, we probably wouldn't have noticed.

One more thing - we sometimes travel separately for a few weeks at a time, so we'll both be on our own every now and again. That doesn't bother me at all in Hilo but I probably wouldn't last 5 minutes by myself in, say, a creepy cabin in Eden Roc. Would you feel OK on your own in the areas we're considering? I know things can vary a lot over short distances round here and I'm not being very specific, but your opinions are welcome!

Old 09-10-2009, 04:19 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,595,659 times
Somehow I missed this thread entirely. This is first I'd heard about the demise of Mountainview Theater, too bad. I hope the old village doesn't disappear like Kea'au did. The website referred to is; Punaweb Home You should be able to join & post there by clicking on the punaweb forum, then on "register" Icon at the top of the page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: