Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2009, 04:24 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,581,897 times

Advertisements

Aloha,
What are the Pros and Cons of shipping a car with your household goods inside?

I know the costs either way. Dose anyone have experience with doing this?

Mahalo
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2009, 04:43 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,483,729 times
Good question.
Ever watch containers get moved around on the docks? I would imagine having a good way in which to tie down the vehicle would be kinda important?

This website is a terrible design, but scroll through some pages...

cargolaw.com

Old 11-21-2009, 07:20 PM

292 posts, read 947,191 times
O Lord, cargo disasters... just what I want to see!!!!!

Old 11-21-2009, 07:26 PM

1,707 posts, read 7,024,415 times
I've got friends that shipped a cherry 1953 MG sports car in a container with their household good from WI to HI and back 3 years later without any problem. Actually most people who have valuable or antique cars ship them in containers to and from HI. They of course must have some way securing them to the container floor.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:10 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,483,729 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoise31 View Post
O Lord, cargo disasters... just what I want to see!!!!!
I have a brother-in-law who is a maritime attorney...
Buy insurance.

Old 11-21-2009, 09:46 PM

4,918 posts, read 22,643,111 times
The advantages and disadvantages depend on if you are doing the loading or if the shipping company is loading the container.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:01 AM

820 posts, read 3,029,486 times
Do you mean loading your car trunk with boxes then shipping your car?

When we moved you could NOT load any household goods in your car. Our car had to be entirely empty, not even the manual, bungee cords, anything. Plus the gas tank empty, just enough to drive it around onto and off the ship.

You say you have costs both methods, so I must assume you have found someone who will do this. I'm not sure it would be very secure. If someone is moving your car, they have access to whatever is inside.

Plus it depends on how much stuff you have.

Old 11-22-2009, 07:40 AM

156 posts, read 804,522 times
As far as I know not all shipping companies allow to load vehicles together with house goods (it's different categories of cargo) in single container. If you decide to load car in container use professional car shippers they have special tools and knowledge how to secure car in container.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:23 AM

Location: By body is in JaxBeach, FL but my mind is in Hawaii
37 posts, read 207,732 times
We plan on shipping with Matson and including the vehicles (you can ship more than one) in the container with our household goods. Since we have yet to make the journey, I cannot speak of personal experience - other than planning. But, when speaking with Matson they informed us that it was our responsibility to load it and to strap it down so as to not move during shipment.

We were planing on getting some expert advice from some of the guys who do this for a living - fortunately we are located near a port that is one of the largest ports for vehicle shipments - and my fathers knows many who could assist. If you have that luxary, I would see if you could get some advice on the best way to secure the vehicle(s).

Good luck on your move.

Old 11-22-2009, 03:52 PM

11,048 posts, read 23,945,389 times
What kind of car is it that it is worthwhile to ship it all that distance? Considering the expense, it might be a lot cheaper and a lot less hassle to just buy something else when you get here. Most folks don't really care what kind of car you drive and the salt and rocks in the road are gonna eat it eventually anyway.

Most folks bring WAY to much stuff here when they move. Which does make for good garage sales when they leave, but between times they have to put it all somewhere. We spend a lot of time outside so since we don't have the enforced hibernation the mainland folks have during the winter, we have much smaller houses and more outdoor furniture. If you are going Hilo side, anything made of pressboard will turn into oatmeal after a few months. Things made of leather like to catch mildew.

Shipping things inter-island isn't too expensive, but once you start using the big container ships, it gets a lot more expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: