Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-17-2010, 11:10 PM

1 posts, read 1,739 times

Advertisements

I am a highschool student at the moment and was going to go straight to college. With money in mind, i really do not want to go into so much debt at such a young age. So i thought i would move to hawaii for a little and experience a little before i start my career for the rest of my life. But as reality of this dream sinks in, i start to get scared.

Would it be possible to move to hilo with nothing and be able to survive. I do have enough money to support myself for at the least, a month. But would i beable to find a job and survive in even a little shack just off of lets say a minimum wage job such as working at a store or something? Could i survive there? is it worth it? Is my dream possible? I am very nervous to do this, but i feel it is what i want really bad, and possible my last chance to live a nice life before i get tangled up in all these money issues and problems that go along with college and starting a career. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2010, 11:36 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmics View Post
I am a highschool student at the moment and was going to go straight to college. With money in mind, i really do not want to go into so much debt at such a young age. So i thought i would move to hawaii for a little and experience a little before i start my career for the rest of my life. But as reality of this dream sinks in, i start to get scared.

Would it be possible to move to hilo with nothing and be able to survive. I do have enough money to support myself for at the least, a month. But would i beable to find a job and survive in even a little shack just off of lets say a minimum wage job such as working at a store or something? Could i survive there? is it worth it? Is my dream possible? I am very nervous to do this, but i feel it is what i want really bad, and possible my last chance to live a nice life before i get tangled up in all these money issues and problems that go along with college and starting a career. Thanks!
No. Even shacks cost $400 a month on up. No one is hiring. Hilo is the biggest town on the island with about 40k people and the local paper has something like 10-15 jobs listed on any one day. Some of the "jobs" have been listed for weeks. That should tell you something.

Even minimum wage jobs go to locals, first. Go to college on the mainland, then after the economy gets better, look into moving here as an adventure.

Old 01-18-2010, 12:27 AM

11,050 posts, read 24,028,301 times
Try WWOOFing. That's Willing Workers On Organic Farms and if you google WWOOF Hawaii you should find a link. You get a place to stay and one meal a day in exchange for doing several hours of farmwork each day. The accommodations/hours/meals are all different depending on which farm you are on but if you don't like the farm you are on, you will be able to move to another one. Bring enough money to get a plane ticket home if it doesn't work out and take a year off to look around before going into debt to go to college. You will also need some money for additional food and stuff, but by not having to pay for rent, you will save a bundle right there. Each farm is different, too, so look around at them carefully. Some folks have had a great experience doing WWOOFing and others have had a horrible experience so check them carefully.

Old 01-18-2010, 02:04 AM

1,490 posts, read 4,182,780 times
Second the WWOOfing.. I know people over here that have college eductions, had/have business and they are hurting. Follow your dream but have a reality in it also. College these days is pretty much a given if you want to go to corportate america. But a creative mind will take you further if applied. If your not ready then don't go. If you don't go the chances of you returning to the system and college will dimish. Your young go for you gut if logic is also played into it.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:32 PM

15 posts, read 41,821 times
People tend to hire who they know and who shows up. Not too many jobs in the paper, so it is asking around.

Old 01-22-2010, 03:41 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lapaki View Post
People tend to hire who they know and who shows up. Not too many jobs in the paper, so it is asking around.
Moving to Hilo is as easy as 1 2 3

1) reach to your back pocket

2) pull out your check book

3) write checks to the people that will move you.

Just that simple.

Old 01-22-2010, 06:09 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoaKine View Post
Moving to Hilo is as easy as 1 2 3

1) reach to your back pocket

2) pull out your check book

3) write checks to the people that will move you.

Just that simple.
You got it friend!

Moving here is the easy part. Living here is the tough part.

Still, I love it here....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island