Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2010, 07:39 PM

17 posts, read 112,509 times

Advertisements

Hey everybody, I'm 18 and a senior in high school here in Washington state and I will be going to UHH and will be in Hilo starting mid August. I have done a lot of reading into Hawai'i and the school and it seems to me that I will enjoy my time there. I was wondering if anyone here has gone to UH Hilo, or will be going to UH Hilo. I would also like to know some of the places in Hilo I should check out when I get there. If you yourself moved from the mainland to go to college anywhere in Hawai'i I would love to hear of some of your experiences as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2010, 08:55 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,589,858 times
Aloha,
Welcome to UHH!
I donʻt know how big of a city you are coming from Hilo is a small quaint town with no real night life the sidewalks roll up at sunset if not sooner. There is enough to keep yourself busy in and around the town. Are you bringing or buying a car out here?

If you use the search box at the top of the page you can find out a lot about Hilo by just typing in Hilo. This will make your search easy. after that you will have a better idea of what to ask.

Old 03-29-2010, 09:08 PM

Thanks, and I come from a real small town. It's got 1/5th of the population that Hilo has, so it's going to be an upgrade for me haha. I will also be buying a car once I get there and probably selling the one I have now because it would cost more to ship the car than to buy another one when I get there

Old 03-29-2010, 11:41 PM

3,752 posts, read 11,511,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHH24 View Post
Hey everybody, I'm 18 and a senior in high school here in Washington state and I will be going to UHH and will be in Hilo starting mid August. I have done a lot of reading into Hawai'i and the school and it seems to me that I will enjoy my time there. I was wondering if anyone here has gone to UH Hilo, or will be going to UH Hilo. I would also like to know some of the places in Hilo I should check out when I get there. If you yourself moved from the mainland to go to college anywhere in Hawai'i I would love to hear of some of your experiences as well.
Have you ever visited, at all?

Old 03-30-2010, 12:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdand3boys View Post
Have you ever visited, at all?
Nope, but I did do an inordinate amount of research.

Old 04-01-2010, 11:50 AM

128 posts, read 540,959 times
Ive been to hilo once before and from what other locals tell me as well its always rainy and gloomy there. The Kona side is much more sunnier and I liked it there much better.

Old 04-01-2010, 12:07 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,458,904 times
My friend's daughter goes there and is kind of ambivalent about it. Being from Kauai, she knew a lot of people who also go there and it seems that a majority of the students are the islands. A friend of mine just went back to school there this semester and he hates it. He is also from Hilo, so it is just like an extension of high school for him. Both complain that it is kind of boring there.

Old 04-01-2010, 01:15 PM

2 posts, read 7,710 times
I guess it really depends on what you want out of your higher education experience. If you're looking for parties, socializing, daily events, and night life, you're going to have a much different view of UH Hilo than if you're looking for small class sizes, rigorous education (depending on the professor), unique learning settings (marine science, geology, agriculture), and a friendly atmosphere.

I've grown up on the Big Island and moved to Hilo to complete my career in higher education. My focus was more on education than extra-curricular activities so I have a more favorable view of UHH than some. It may have also helped that I was familiar with Hilo before hand.

Welcome to UH Hilo and I hope you enjoy it!

Old 04-01-2010, 01:21 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,259,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UHH24 View Post
I hope that UH Hilo gave you a scholarship. It's a just a slight step up from Hawai'i Community College (which was a part of UH Hilo until 1990), and it's probably not worth paying the "non-resident" tuition fees to attend (unless you intend to major in "Hawaiian language").

In addition, Rose Tseng, the current chancellor that was responsible for much of the growth at UH Hilo is stepping down. Considering the current economic climate and the Hawai'i State Legislature's propensity to cut education funding, things are going to be somewhat interesting.

On the plus side, UH Hilo is small (about 3,800 students), the faculty and staff are pretty good, and it's fairly diverse.

Old 04-01-2010, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamakalolii View Post
I guess it really depends on what you want out of your higher education experience. If you're looking for parties, socializing, daily events, and night life, you're going to have a much different view of UH Hilo than if you're looking for small class sizes, rigorous education (depending on the professor), unique learning settings (marine science, geology, agriculture), and a friendly atmosphere.

I've grown up on the Big Island and moved to Hilo to complete my career in higher education. My focus was more on education than extra-curricular activities so I have a more favorable view of UHH than some. It may have also helped that I was familiar with Hilo before hand.

Welcome to UH Hilo and I hope you enjoy it!
I am going there for the school, as to me it seems to be pretty good (as well as what I have heard from others I have talked to). Obviously I am going there for Hawaii, and I come from a town much smaller than Hilo, so as far as the size of the town goes, it's a step up in things to do for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island