Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 09:35 AM

8 posts, read 8,430 times

Advertisements

I currently have Hawaiian tel and it is very reliable, meaning speeds are pretty consistent. The highest speed that they can give me is 7 Mbps download (I live in Hilo mohouli street). It's fast enough to stream one person at a time but it's buggy when two people stream at a time. Anybody have experience with oceanic keeping their promise on speeds and not having down time's? I've had oceanic before and hadTimes where the Internet slow down usually during peak hours...all thoughts welcome
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-21-2014, 12:09 PM

2,624 posts, read 7,261,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboy2 View Post
I currently have Hawaiian tel and it is very reliable, meaning speeds are pretty consistent. The highest speed that they can give me is 7 Mbps download (I live in Hilo mohouli street). It's fast enough to stream one person at a time but it's buggy when two people stream at a time. Anybody have experience with oceanic keeping their promise on speeds and not having down time's? I've had oceanic before and hadTimes where the Internet slow down usually during peak hours...all thoughts welcome
The speed and reliability of Oceanic's internet service probably hasn't improved that much since you've last had it. In my part of lower Puna, the speed and reliability of Oceanic's internet service is spotty during peak hours. Unfortunately, I don't have much choice, since Hawaiian Telcom doesn't offer high-speed internet service in my immediate area. Unless, Oceanic offers you a really great deal, it might be best to stick with Hawaiian Telcom.

Old 11-21-2014, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonah K View Post
The speed and reliability of Oceanic's internet service probably hasn't improved that much since you've last had it. In my part of lower Puna, the speed and reliability of Oceanic's internet service is spotty during peak hours. Unfortunately, I don't have much choice, since Hawaiian Telcom doesn't offer high-speed internet service in my immediate area. Unless, Oceanic offers you a really great deal, it might be best to stick with Hawaiian Telcom.

If I stay with hawaiian tel it would be about $34 for 7 Mbps..if I go oceanic it would be $45 for 30 Mbps.. I wanted the extra speed but I had experience before with speeds dropping during peak hours and even not being able to watch simple YouTube videos for like an hour every day during peak hours..but when it works seems like the peak speed for oceanic would be a massive gain over what hawaiian telcom can provide my address right now. Do you think it's worth the switch? Reliability for peak speeds?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:06 PM

Can can anyone attempt to answer my question or give feedback?

Old 11-21-2014, 07:30 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Do you already have Oceanic Cable?

Perhaps if you called them and told them you are a Hawaiian Tel customer, they might let you do a try before you buy or some other inducement to check it out before making a longer commitment or waive some fees - wouldn't hurt to ask. You miss all the shots you do not take.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:30 PM

268 posts, read 383,433 times
I can't tell you how reliable it is but I can tell you my Comcast is fast and reliable. How does that help you? Maybe it doesn't, at least not immediately, however Comcast is in the process of buying Time Warner (and Oceanic T.W.). So if the acquisition goes through Comcast may bring stability to the system. Or not.

Old 11-21-2014, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whtviper1 View Post
Do you already have Oceanic Cable?

Perhaps if you called them and told them you are a Hawaiian Tel customer, they might let you do a try before you buy or some other inducement to check it out before making a longer commitment or waive some fees - wouldn't hurt to ask. You miss all the shots you do not take.
I have a 30 day moneyback guarantee with oceanic Time Warner high-speed Internet. I actually will be keeping Hawaiian tel for one month while I trial oceanic Time Warner with 30 day guarantee for refund. You think that sounds good? oceanic will be coming this month on the 25thS

Old 11-21-2014, 07:46 PM

12,120 posts, read 17,914,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigislandboy2 View Post
I have a 30 day moneyback guarantee with oceanic Time Warner high-speed Internet. I actually will be keeping Hawaiian tel for one month while I trial oceanic Time Warner with 30 day guarantee for refund. You think that sounds good? oceanic will be coming this month on the 25thS
That sounds like an excellent deal - you get to try it with no strings attached. If it works out, great - if you have issues, return it for your money back.

Old 11-21-2014, 08:12 PM

Quote:
That sounds like an excellent deal - you get to try it with no strings attached. If it works out, great - if you have issues, return it for your money back.
pMay I ask what Internet service provider you have

Old 11-21-2014, 08:14 PM

Quote:
May I ask what Internet service provider you have? And how is your experience?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island