U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
 [Register]
Big Island The Island of Hawaii
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2010, 03:48 PM

23 posts, read 124,906 times

Advertisements

I have read a couple threads that said Matson has monopoly on shipping. However, it seems there are other shipping companies I found on internet that say they ship.
1. Does anyone know of other companies besides Matson who ship between Seattle area and Hilo?
2. Another concern is that we don't have enough stuff to fill a container.
How do you share a container?
3. If we end up paying for a full container is not full what are the chances of breakage? Anyone have experience with this? Sharing or full?
Thanks much.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2010, 03:57 PM

1,234 posts, read 4,441,611 times
Aloha,

Try Horizon I donʻt know if they ship out of Seattle they do go out of Oakland. How full will the 20ʻ container or are you not filling a 40ʻ?
If its not that much stuff try ABF u pack small pods if you need 2 pods its cheaper if you need 3 co with a 20ʻ container. I havenʻt shared one I tried and you have to both load it in the same spot and you have a limited time or they will charge you a ton to sit or come back with the truck and you will need a ramp to load and unload. I just got my container in Hilo a few weeks ago I can recommend a Co. to help move and unload it for you just DM me

Good luck

Old 04-23-2010, 05:25 PM

4,919 posts, read 22,017,234 times
Matson does not have a monopoly on shipping to Hawaii. The only protected shipping is Young Brothers and that's for interisland barge traffic.

Matson is however, the dominent carrier because they serve this Pacific Region along with just a few others. The majority of Pacific sea shipping occurs north of Hawaii. It is a misunderstanding that Hawii is on the Pacific sea lanes, It is anywhere from 200 nm to 750 nm south of those lanes. No cargo ship is going to divert 200 -750 miles each way just to drop off a few thing on hawaii. So companies like Matson and Horizon gets the bulk of the shipping for containerized cargo while Pasha gets the bulk for wheeled on OS cargo.

1. because Matson and Horizon have dedicated service to hawaii, they handle the bulk. There are freight forwarders and moving companies who usse their service but sell to you based on consolidated shipment. You stuff and other people stuff are put together in a container. You pay for the space you use.

2. You share a container by finding someone who also needs space in a container and work something out with them. You can also use a consolidator as mention above.

3. You can ship a container with a dozen glass globes and nothing breaks, and you can ship a container with marble blocks and they all break. How much in the container means nothing, that's a packing issue. You pack right, it won't break. Pack wrong and have a garbage pail ready. You can get real good container packing tips on CD's general moving forum.

Old 04-26-2010, 02:31 PM

23 posts, read 124,906 times
i am brand new here. This is first post. Don't know how to do DM. Please advise. I don't think I will fill a 20 ft. container. so may want pod. How do you do the pods? What is name of shipping pod place? and yes, I would like to know name of the company you used to move and unload it in Hilo. THANKS so much, Deborah

Old 04-26-2010, 03:18 PM

5,493 posts, read 11,797,966 times
Deborah, direct messaging is easy. Just click on the person's name in blue on their posting.

ReloCube is another way to ship a smaller load. I think it is similar to a pod. They are about 7' x 7' x 7'.

Last edited by Dreaming of Hawaii; 04-26-2010 at 03:18 PM.. Reason: typo

Old 05-01-2010, 11:25 AM

12 posts, read 144,621 times
We built several walls in our container to keep things from shifting into each other and the unused space. We only had a few feet, but we did a good job and nothing broke. Matson is an awesome company to work with. Why not use them? We used them and my mother in-law used them several times to ship back and forth between Hawaii and Seattle.

Old 06-10-2010, 07:08 PM

2 posts, read 6,412 times
Default Moving to BI Aug 2010

We are planning a move to the BI from the Seattle area (8/10) and would love to share a container with someone. Or we would be open to doing a few crates or pods or whatever they call them. Anyone heading out at that time?
Any more ideas on the easiest way to ship a smaller load?
When I moved to the mainland from Maui, I used Matson and they were fine but it was really pricey. Times have changed and just don't have the $$ these days.

Old 07-17-2012, 12:27 PM

1 posts, read 3,463 times
are you still looking to share space in a container? We have one big box, 6'x6'x12'.

Old 07-17-2012, 01:30 PM

12,969 posts, read 26,987,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by charleye View Post
are you still looking to share space in a container? We have one big box, 6'x6'x12'.
Sorry, if check the date on the post that was 2 years ago.

Old 03-24-2013, 07:26 PM

2 posts, read 4,211 times
we are looking to share a container from seattle to maui..may or june 2013 reply to mod cut: personal information. Please contact OP via direct message

thks Hugh

Last edited by Mikala43; 03-24-2013 at 08:03 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Hawaii > Big Island
View detailed profiles of: