U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-07-2010, 02:28 PM

9,353 posts, read 18,212,452 times

Advertisements

actually ... he gets natural sunlight all day long .... we are in a walkout basement and he is right next to a window that is approximately 3' high by 5' long .... i also open the shades on the french doors so he can see out that direction too......

i let him out of his cage when i get here in the mornings... generally around 9 or 10 .... he has a nice, pretty good sized one and he likes to spend most of his days perched atop it..... he will come down and sit on his tree next to me every now and then, but i imagine that just watching the back of my head for hours on end gets pretty boring.....

i usually am the one that puts him back in his cage when i leave in the evenings .... generally around 7 or 8....

maybe i'll get him some new toys the next time i get paid.....

oh, and its not the wife who refuses to rehome him .... it is my bp ..... she actually agrees with me that he needs a home better suited to his needs......
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-07-2010, 04:43 PM

68 posts, read 188,235 times
Avienne,

Thanks for your advice. Though I sometimes feel bad that my 'Tiel doesn't have any avian flockmates to hang with, I wouldn't consider getting another bird just to keep him company. My little guy is terribly possessive and jealous as it is...my dog knows to keep an eye on him when I pet her in "his" room, so she can make a quick getaway when he invariably comes to bite her in the butt! And to be honest, I don't want another bird. I love the one I have and birds have always fascinated me, but this is going to be a one-time thing.

Birds chew sheets? Man, did I get lucky! My little guy has never been one to rip fabric, even when he's mad at me. He prefers to go after smaller objects that he can utterly destroy in short order. As much as I let him roam, the only damage he's ever really done to anything of mine is punching holes in the edges of a few paperback book covers and chewing the plastic ends off sneaker laces. He'll poop on anything he can, though.

You're not the first person to tell me there's no such thing as bird-proofing. I guess I'm pretty naive. I thought if all outlets were securely covered (and I mean SECURELY), there was no way for him to get under or behind any furniture, there was no way for him to get tangled in anything, and the door was blocked with something he's proven that he can't climb, I was good to go. I suppose it's true he might be more creative when he's genuinely alone than whe he's playing by himself with me nearby. *Sigh* I dunno. Maybe a bigger cage is in order, with even more stuff to do. If moving his current cage around (like you suggested) or following the advice offered by Creek Hollow doesn't do the trick, maybe that will be the next step....though I fear I may have already maxed out my options with the correct spacing between the wires/bars.

Anyway, Thanks again!

P.S. Your bird calls when you're tapping on the keyboard, too? Mine starts calling out, then runs up my body so he can step all over the keys. At first I thought it was a coincidence, but he has actually made the connection between stepping on keys and making things appear/move on the screen. After watching me type for a couple of years, he has recently learned to line up his foot with the nearest key, then step on it with his eyes trained on the monitor to see what happens. Once he sees action, he steps on another key.

Old 08-11-2017, 09:59 PM

1 posts, read 406 times
He won't just "get over it". If you had to spend 95% of your time in a locked cage alone you would be angry too! And you wouldn't get over it! This is how I realized Birds and really any animals aren't meant to be pets. I got a pet bird from a neighbor who couldn't take care of him anymore... and I leave his cage open all the time and yes many of my things have been ruined...but that's better than him living an entirely caged life. Even with the cage open and access to some of the toys I set up for him around and leaving the sound effects and soft music on, it's still a lonely life for my poor baby when I have to go to work 12 hours a day. Owning pets is really wrong. They don't want to be your slave. They may really not enjoy being your pet even though we all love to think they do. Would you enjoy being someones pet? Listening to what THEY think you should do and told when and where to go just for their amusement?
The whole meaning of being an animal is being FREE...so living in a cage is in NO way natural )':
If I lived somewhere where cockatiels lived naturally I would have already set mine free...

Old 08-24-2017, 05:06 PM

29,099 posts, read 69,385,082 times
Birds are not humans. They do not think like we do or value the same things. Safety/security is the most important thing to them. In the wild, they live in a near constant state of terror. They want to feel safe. They wants routines and some of them want attention. Some like to have other birds for companions and others will do whatever they can to kill any other birds to protect their exclusive relationship with their humans. Our birds often have/had free range of the house, but prefer to stay in their cage unless they knew where I was, then they would come out and climb me and seek attention - either petting or just being looked at. One of them enjoyed going outside sometimes, the other was terrified and just screamed incessantly until we let he back in the house.

Some birds like to fly. However most pet birds are not soaring birds. They simply use their wings as a means for a quick escape and sometimes to move to a different location where they can search for food. They prefer to hop an d climb and fly only when necessary. While you would be happier being able to fly around, many birds do not like it so much. They want to be somewhere familiar to them where they can feel safe and they are aware of anything being different. To them anything different is a threat. thus staying in one place where they can quickly identify anything that is different, makes them more comfortable. If they have a steady and permanent source of food, they will choose to stay in one place and be very happy. Ravens and magpies are different, but most pet birds are not really into flying long distances. IN fact many are not built for long distance flying. Even when they migrate, it is short hops ever practical.

Old 08-25-2017, 04:13 AM

16,108 posts, read 21,862,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sautille42 View Post
Hi, All.

Until a few weeks ago, I had been at home on a full time basis since my 3 year-old cockatiel was a baby. He is a non-flier (I keep his wings trimmed) and spends all day hanging out with me or roaming and climbing around. He sleeps in a roomy cage, where I've previously locked him up on the occasional days when I go out for more than two or three hours at a time.

I have now gone back to school and am out of the house for about 8 hours straight, four days per week. My bird has been absolutely miserable being stuck in his cage all day. He is furious when I come home, screeching and refusing to let me pet him right up to his bed time. He also appears to be eating less and his droppings are softer/runnier than usual. At first I thought he'd adapt, but now I'm not so sure. I've tried new toys, fun foods...everything...to no avail.

The bedroom where his cage is located is more or less bird-proofed: he can't get caught under or behind anything and can't reach any electrical cords. I am considering leaving him loose in there all day when I'm not home, with a climb-proof barrier in the doorway (I'd rather not shut the door). The logic is that he's never got into trouble when I've been home, and he could injure himself by accident in his cage as easily as out of it, particularly if he startles for some reason.

What do you think? Am I crazy? Should I let him stay loose?
Let him stay loose in your bedroom...and leave a TV on, something like animal planet might comfort him....or home shopping network where people are talking all day.

ETA I see most folks are against letting your bird stay loose. My cockatiel would sleep in his open cage at night, then call out looking for me in the am's.....and walk to me like a little drunken sailor when I'd answer her....She was so entertaining and smart and I still miss her. I never had any trouble with her having an open cage...she loved having the run of the house.

Last edited by JanND; 08-25-2017 at 04:22 AM..

Old 08-28-2017, 07:05 AM

13,795 posts, read 6,894,345 times
So many people buy birds with no clue how to take care of them and keep them healthy mentally & psychologically. (Not referring to this particular OP). I just feel bad for a creature that was meant to fly and be free that is trapped in a cage or house

Old 08-28-2017, 07:32 AM

7,404 posts, read 3,532,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellokitty1234 View Post
He won't just "get over it". If you had to spend 95% of your time in a locked cage alone you would be angry too! And you wouldn't get over it! This is how I realized Birds and really any animals aren't meant to be pets. I got a pet bird from a neighbor who couldn't take care of him anymore... and I leave his cage open all the time and yes many of my things have been ruined...but that's better than him living an entirely caged life. Even with the cage open and access to some of the toys I set up for him around and leaving the sound effects and soft music on, it's still a lonely life for my poor baby when I have to go to work 12 hours a day. Owning pets is really wrong. They don't want to be your slave. They may really not enjoy being your pet even though we all love to think they do. Would you enjoy being someones pet? Listening to what THEY think you should do and told when and where to go just for their amusement?
The whole meaning of being an animal is being FREE...so living in a cage is in NO way natural )':
If I lived somewhere where cockatiels lived naturally I would have already set mine free...
You joined to blast a thread from 2010? And the OP hasn't been back since 2011.

Old 10-18-2017, 12:49 AM

11,908 posts, read 4,435,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LLCNYC View Post
You joined to blast a thread from 2010? And the OP hasn't been back since 2011.
At least it was a hit-and-run, and that person hasn't stuck around, complaining about the horrible injustice of pet ownership.

Just in case anyone reads this thread for information, there is some good advice here about how to care for birds, and particularly about why they should not be left unattended out of cage.

Old 10-26-2017, 11:42 PM

11,757 posts, read 5,782,414 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sautille42 View Post
Should I let him stay loose?
Yes you should let him be free as well as stop trimming his flight feathers. Birds are designed to fly...let the creature experience it's highly conserved flying trait!!!! I can't imagine taking that away from a bird. If someone took away my strongest ability to protect myself and to get around I would be miserable as well.

As long as you safe proof the environment the bird will be fine and very happy.

I suggest you play soothing classical instrumental music for it while your gone.

Never forget that the more you cage an any creature the worse off the creature lives and the more intellectually disengaged it becomes...it's soul destroying in fact.

Last edited by Matadora; 10-27-2017 at 12:06 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds