Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-07-2007, 09:10 PM

6,023 posts, read 14,066,267 times

Advertisements

My little green cheeked conure looks at me from across the room and says "Ricky", and I answer "Peekaboo", and she replies "I love you" ! She puts up a big fuss if I don't take her with me on my motorcycle. I don't go to fast for her and she holds on to the back of my collar and fools with the hair on the back of my neck while we explore the old logging roads behind our town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-08-2007, 05:08 AM

30,345 posts, read 51,937,226 times
I once owned an African Grey (had to re-home her due to serious allergies), and she was FREAKY smart! At less than a year old, she could say around 20 different words & short phrases, and imitated tons of sounds. She could also associate words, as opposed to just mimicking... for instance, she'd say "Hello" when the phone rang, "Quiet!" when she was being loud, and even "Go poopie" when she did her business. She had such a personality too, it really was a shame I had to let her go... but it was either that or weekly allergy shots, and considering parrots can live 80+ years, I had no choice! At least she went to a wonderful home (with my veterinarian, no less), so I feel good about the decision.

Old 07-08-2007, 06:18 AM

20 posts, read 76,662 times
Default Birds really are smart.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...tissmarter.jpg

Video of Lilo playing peek a boo - Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Other than Lilo the quaker I have 6 other birds. 3 male tiels, a lovie and a pair of keets. Also handfeeding 17 babys (quakers and tiels) for my daughter since I turned the aviary over to her 2 years ago.

Old 07-08-2007, 10:02 PM

I have a blue ringneck that we rescued out of a pet shop. He had been returned way to many times and he's only 1 year old. He's freeking scared of everything. we just let him be him and try to be as nice as we can. Ringnecks don't always make the best pet birds. I just love my little greencheek though. She thinks she has to protect me from my dog !

Old 07-09-2007, 09:27 AM

4,610 posts, read 11,101,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rickers View Post
I have a blue ringneck that we rescued out of a pet shop. He had been returned way to many times and he's only 1 year old. He's freeking scared of everything. we just let him be him and try to be as nice as we can. Ringnecks don't always make the best pet birds. I just love my little greencheek though. She thinks she has to protect me from my dog !
She's your protector. That's cute.

We have 2 crazy and I mean crazy Caiques (white bellied). We love them to pieces but boy do they love to scream. They are not known for their talking ability but they love to whistle and did I mention SCREAM!!!! They are very very "loud" birds. They are known as the clown bird. They love to play and chew on everything. They loooooove water and takes bathes all the time and they love to dunk their food or toys in the water.

They are our little crazy babies.

Old 07-09-2007, 01:31 PM

4 posts, read 18,728 times
To all of these wonderful birds (have a African Grey, love bird) please don't feed us sunflower seeds! I love my birds my grey is about 20 years old and he's a riot and my joy I wouldn't give him up for the world. I'm not his first owner but his third I've had him for 7 years. IF your bird Seems to be aggressive and bites you just out of the blue see if there's sunflower seeds in there diet. Sunflower seeds are high in fat, can damage there liver and also there are addictive to your birds.

Old 07-10-2007, 07:47 AM

Most seeds are very high in fat and that's why a diet of seeds only will shorten the life of the bird. Fruits and veggies should make up a large part of the diet for most birds. Of coarse each type of parrot has their own dietary requirements. As for sunflower seeds being a cause for biting, I have my doubts unless the bite is the birds way of asking for a fatty treat.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds