Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 03:04 PM

14,785 posts, read 24,071,257 times

Advertisements

I have been approved to adopt two older birds from a rescue and now the home visit is over and approved . Well now it seems the lady always has something going on that she cant bring the birds week after week . Last wk was a birthday party and now this week she does not even have the niceity to call me and tell me but has someone else do it. She will not be able to get out here this wk either . It seems as though her daughter is on spring break this wk . I have been waiting on these birds almost two wks now and frankly Im tired of waiting and I think I have been more than patient with them . Im to the point where I want to tell them to stuff the birds where the sun does not shine .also wanted to let someone know that the birds are only an hr away . I would go get them but I dont have a truck and dont know anyone who has one and why should I go get them as well when she promised to bring them herself . Im just wondering what everyone else would do ? My husband says to tell them to stuff the birds up their rear . LOL !! Anyways what would you all do ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 06:06 PM

6,497 posts, read 11,810,585 times
Have you paid an adoption fee?

Personally, I'd just write her a polite e-mail saying that it appears she may have changed her mind about the adoption as the birds have not been given to you, so you expect your fee to be refunded within 7 days (or whatever time you wish).

Old 03-29-2011, 06:14 PM

No not an adoption fee no money exchanged at all . just alot of hassle such as time and a home visit all done at their convience not mine . I really get the attitude that they dont like to be ? ed either and that bothered my husband too .

Old 03-29-2011, 06:15 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,422,203 times
My first thought was if you'd paid the fees yet too. Hoping you didn't get scammed. I think I'd be putting apps in for other birds just in case. If you've not been scammed it seems like the 'rescue' is at the least quite flaky and I'd wonder about the true health of the birds. People like that also seem to be the kind that neglect the animals health. I managed 7 teens and twenty somethings in my house with 30 - 50 dogs, a job that I averaged 60 hours a week at AND 20 hours a week commuting and still got fosters to their adopters. I may have been running an hour late or so if they were long distance, but I never put off a transport that was only an hour away.

ETA: Just read your reply. If they've got an attitude I'd worry. I was always grateful for my adopters. They saved two lives for each one adopted. I can't imagine giving them any attitude!

Old 03-29-2011, 06:44 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I have been approved to adopt two older birds from a rescue and now the home visit is over and approved . Well now it seems the lady always has something going on that she cant bring the birds week after week . Last wk was a birthday party and now this week she does not even have the niceity to call me and tell me but has someone else do it. She will not be able to get out here this wk either . It seems as though her daughter is on spring break this wk . I have been waiting on these birds almost two wks now and frankly Im tired of waiting and I think I have been more than patient with them . Im to the point where I want to tell them to stuff the birds where the sun does not shine .also wanted to let someone know that the birds are only an hr away . I would go get them but I dont have a truck and dont know anyone who has one and why should I go get them as well when she promised to bring them herself . Im just wondering what everyone else would do ? My husband says to tell them to stuff the birds up their rear . LOL !! Anyways what would you all do ?
I guess it depends on what type of birds you're waiting for and if it's worth saying forget it about them or something you really want and know you can give a good home to. Was the lady who did the home visit the one who now can't make it back? If you were approved and really want the birds, I'd probably call and just ask why the hold up. I wish I lived by you so I could go pick up your birds for you. One hour one way is a two hour round trip for her, something that's probably not that convenient, so she keeps putting it off. Maybe you could work out something to meet her halfway, maybe w/ a rental truck?

Old 03-29-2011, 06:52 PM

Nope no more working it out I sent her a nice and polite email and told her I could no longer deal with waiting . you see she should not have obligated herself to a 2 hr trip then and she would not even accomidate me coming to get them and no they are really old birds with maybe 10 yrs left . this is just not something you do while in rescue work . You see I used to work with a rescue and never ever did we not go on a transport that is just not done if you dont want to do it then dont do rescue work .

Old 03-29-2011, 06:57 PM

1,268 posts, read 2,998,436 times
I don't work in bird rescue, only dog rescue. But I can tell you that if an adopter was getting pushy about ME delivering one of our rescues to THEM, I would get mad and not want you to adopt one of our dogs.

These rescue workers are VOLUNTEERS, and devote their FREE TIME to rescuing, caring for, taking to vets, feeding, doing home visits (do you think it's convenient for THEM???) just so they can protect the ANIMAL and find them a suitable home.

They don't get paid. They don't get reimbursed for their gas money or time doing home visits or delivering birds to an adopter!

They are not there to make YOUR life more convenient. IF you really want to do the right thing and adopt these birds, rent a Uhaul and go get them yourself.

I have NEVER heard of a "delivery service" for rescued animals. The "transport" part of rescue work, that you mention in your last post is to transport a rescue from a reliquisher to a foster home. Not a delivery service to the new adopter. Geesh.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by coastal chic View Post
I don't work in bird rescue, only dog rescue. But I can tell you that if an adopter was getting pushy about ME delivering one of our rescues to THEM, I would get mad and not want you to adopt one of our dogs.

These rescue workers are VOLUNTEERS, and devote their FREE TIME to rescuing, caring for, taking to vets, feeding, doing home visits (do you think it's convenient for THEM???) just so they can protect the ANIMAL and find them a suitable home.

They don't get paid. They don't get reimbursed for their gas money or time doing home visits or delivering birds to an adopter!

They are not there to make YOUR life more convenient. IF you really want to do the right thing and adopt these birds, rent a Uhaul and go get them yourself.

I have NEVER heard of a "delivery service" for rescued animals. The "transport" part of rescue work, that you mention in your last post is to transport a rescue from a reliquisher to a foster home. Not a delivery service to the new adopter. Geesh.
you know you sound as though you have a sense of entitlement I know one thing I would be rolling out the red carpet for someone wanting to adopt an older animal also obviously you did not read my post correctly and jumped to assumptions . I said she was not recpetive to me coming to get them either ... read something before you jump to conclusions . i have also worked in rescue and we have rolled out and accomdated an adopter who was wanting an older animal . these birds were coming from the foster to me . . see folks this is unfortunately the attitude of some rescues and why alot of people wont deal with them ..

Old 03-29-2011, 07:14 PM

Quote:
I would go get them but I dont have a truck and dont know anyone who has one and why should I go get them as well when she promised to bring them herself .
Why don't you re-read your own post. I didn't jump to any conclusions, nor do I have any entitlement issues.

I stand behind what I said.

Old 03-29-2011, 07:17 PM

Quote:
I know one thing I would be rolling out the red carpet for someone wanting to adopt an older animal.
Yes, you made it clear by your post that you expect the red carpet rolled out for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds