Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-29-2011, 01:42 PM

3,088 posts, read 5,352,895 times

Advertisements

I am also a bird lover, but express that passion somewhat differently. In the past I have had several exotic parrots (rescue birds that were eventually found breeding homes), but I now volunteer at a non-profit organization called Liberty Wildlife. We rescue and treat all injured birds (both native and non-native) birds that are brought to us at our site in Scottsdale, AZ, and are leading authorities in the care and rehabilitation of large raptors. We have an "Education" division, where animals that have imprinted or whose injuries will never allow them to be released, are handled daily and used in local education and wildlife support activities. I also have a outdoor aviary of colorful, non-native finches, which I enjoy immensly, but my association with Liberty is one of the most rewarding experiences of my life! Bird lovers in the Phoenix area are encouraged to "get to know" us, and to consider volunteering.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-29-2011, 01:57 PM

11,523 posts, read 14,647,878 times
I've never had a bird, but love the wild ones I see. I saw a special last night on Crows--how intelligent they are. They're at the level of primates, dogs, etc. esp. w/ their ability to recognize faces and use tools. Interesting.
I get Birds & Blooms magazine--some pretty birds in there and doing some funny things too!

Old 11-29-2011, 04:44 PM

5,296 posts, read 7,234,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missik999 View Post

She also loves to watch animated movies, and if I try to watch something I want to watch she will knock her beak loudly against her cage until I give in and put on one of her movies.
Had 3 Parakeets in the past they all loved cartoons!
I think they tuned into the sound effects, music, and such.

Old 11-29-2011, 06:14 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
Quote:
She also loves to watch animated movies, and if I try to watch something I want to watch she will knock her beak loudly against her cage until I give in and put on one of her movies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerz View Post
I used to have an Alexandrine parakeet hen who now lives with my ex. (She always preferred him.)

She used to love to watch skiing, hockey, and figure skating--anything with people on a white background. She was so cute sitting there with her head cocked as birds do when they are concentrating, one eye focused on the television set, following the little people on the screen.

Old 11-30-2011, 04:25 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times
Quote:
My B & G Macaw is very particular, she only likes certain animated movies. Her current favorites are The Bee Movie, Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, and Horton Hears a Who. She loves certain character voices, especially Jim Carrey and Steve Carell in Horton Hears a Who.

I have heard all three of those moves so many times I think I have them memorized.

She hates football and baseball, and when I try to watch she bangs her beak annoyingly on the side of her cage until I give in. I have to put on one of her movies and then go downstairs and watch sports on my other tv. Bullied by my bird!

Old 11-30-2011, 12:15 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,936 times
Quote:
Quote:
My Goffin Cockatoo loves the Disney Channel. Years ago, I had a Moluccan Cockatoo that loved Disney movies so much, we set up his own VCR so he could watch videos. One of his favorites was Wizard of Oz. He'd get all excited when the monkeys flew in.

Old 11-30-2011, 09:41 PM

9,408 posts, read 13,735,418 times
We have an African Grey, a Sun Conure and a GCC.

Our CAG has a large vocabulary along with plenty of colourful words as well. She's very smart. The conures are brats but they're sweet and cuddly.

Old 12-01-2011, 02:34 PM

865 posts, read 1,488,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Djuna View Post
We have an African Grey, a Sun Conure and a GCC.

Our CAG has a large vocabulary along with plenty of colourful words as well. She's very smart. The conures are brats but they're sweet and cuddly.
Sun conures are beautiful! There is one I keep seeing at our regular pet store, but having 7 birds already this is a no go! I've been working on getting him to step up and go on my shoulder, but he doesn't like to me touched.

I'm so happy to see other bird lovers on here - birds are such an awesome pet. I have to say I am blessed by each one of them!

Old 12-05-2011, 08:05 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,488,768 times
I used to work as an assistant to a bird breeder in the 1990's. He raised macaws; blue and golds, scarlets and hyacinths. He also raised galahs, eclectus and assorted amazons. He had a total of 65 parrots. While I was working for him he retrieved a lot blue crowned conure that no one called his ad for. He gave me the parrot. I had a cockatiel at the time and 65 parakeets, aka budgerigars. I still have the blue crowned conure and the cockatiel. I got the cockatiel as a one year old in 1994 and the conure in 96. I moved 85 miles north of there to McKinleyville and two years ago I was talking with one of the assistants at the feed store. It turned out that the same year I got the conure, he gave a baby conure to a friend in the town over the hill from where I lived. His friend lost the parrot and never found it. There were no other blue crowned conure breeders other that Justin from the feed store. It took from 1997 to 2010 to find the original breeder. I also have 18 budgerigars I keep in a six food wide aviary on my front porch. They get heat from the house. Here is a picture of most of the birds on their feeding tray.
Attached Thumbnails
Any bird lovers on here?-keets.jpg  

Old 12-09-2011, 02:24 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,768,892 times
The best birds I've ever had have been starlings. I've kept a few that I orphaned - very social, very personable birds that will eventually speak to you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds