U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2007, 09:14 AM

1,508 posts, read 5,623,263 times

Advertisements

I have a few questions. I am considering an expansion to our family and I wanted a multi-purpose pet.
Do chicken clean your yard of pests?
Do chickens eat ticks? Mosquitos? Etc?

Do chicken attract more unwanted pests?
Please tell me about the Pros & Cons for adopting a chicken or chicks.

thanks
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2007, 08:00 PM

1,280 posts, read 4,512,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewHomeHappy View Post
I have a few questions. I am considering an expansion to our family and I wanted a multi-purpose pet.
Do chicken clean your yard of pests?
Do chickens eat ticks? Mosquitos? Etc?

Do chicken attract more unwanted pests?
Please tell me about the Pros & Cons for adopting a chicken or chicks.

thanks

sorry it took me so long to reply, I didn't see your response.

My chickens eat most bugs, they love ticks & ants & mosquitos. Chicken manure can attract flies, I keep my run & coop very clean so it hasn't been an issue. They can be smart, funny & lovable & watching the "pecking order" is amazing. My chickens come to me when I call them, a few jump in air for treats, they like to sit on my lap & be petted. And they lay delicious eggs!
Caring for chicks when they are young is hard work, they need a certain tempature, water & food. Once they grow up, they are much less work.
Check out backyardchickens.com
Good luck!

Old 11-19-2007, 04:16 PM

1 posts, read 4,332 times
Default Small world

WOW! I can relate to you 100%
I can't open my windows either.
I have a neighbor w/ a coop in front of my home, & she got a rooster just to harass me. I have emails to prove that she knows it's harassing me.
Currently, I am trying to get our Town officials to update our zoning regulations to stop this harassment.
I was wondering, have you complained about the smell, or noise to your local police department?
They will help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gardener34 View Post
My neighbors have installed a coop. They have a rooster that crows at dawn and all day long. It is very loud and adjacent to my son's bedroom window so he can't sleep with the windows open anymore. I HATE it.

Unfortunately we have archaic zoning laws and there is nothing I can do about it. He has killed my property values and he knows it. He placed it there to harass us.

Also, make sure you keep that thing clean, cause the coop REEKS of ammonia when they don't clean it. And that nice smell wafts over to my children's swingset that is only 20 feet away.

My suggestion, chickens but NO rooster unless you are WAY far away enough not to tick off your neighbors. You don't need a rooster for eggs anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds