U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 08:26 AM

1,280 posts, read 4,598,862 times

Advertisements

if so where do you live? Is it rural?
I'm on Long Island in a suburban area.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-29-2007, 05:29 PM

1,738 posts, read 7,883,542 times
my parents have farm chickens, but my mom named them all and loves them dearly. ....they live in brooksville florida

Old 08-30-2007, 07:44 AM

5,656 posts, read 18,232,931 times
My neighbors have installed a coop. They have a rooster that crows at dawn and all day long. It is very loud and adjacent to my son's bedroom window so he can't sleep with the windows open anymore. I HATE it.

Unfortunately we have archaic zoning laws and there is nothing I can do about it. He has killed my property values and he knows it. He placed it there to harass us.

Also, make sure you keep that thing clean, cause the coop REEKS of ammonia when they don't clean it. And that nice smell wafts over to my children's swingset that is only 20 feet away.

My suggestion, chickens but NO rooster unless you are WAY far away enough not to tick off your neighbors. You don't need a rooster for eggs anyway.

Old 09-02-2007, 07:30 PM

I live in a suburban area & I have hens only, no rooster. They are pets, they have names, do tricks & are loved. We love the fresh eggs & the manure is great for composting. My coop is cleaned weekly, my run raked just about daily. No smell.
Just wondering if anyone else is enjoying chickens in suburbia

Old 09-03-2007, 12:30 AM

491 posts, read 715,017 times
I have 3 (Chickens) and a tame Goat, Im in Mattituck.
...... they came with the house, I keep everthing clean and have no problem.

There is also a crazy squirrel around here that steals light bulbs and drops them through a hole in the garage loft (ceiling) at night when im working sometimes.
Scares the hell out of me but far better then dealing with Great Neck Persians

-Joe

Last edited by Joe L; 09-03-2007 at 12:39 AM..

Old 09-03-2007, 07:59 PM

3,567 posts, read 5,940,287 times
In the Fall of 2004 a chicken adopted our family. We lived down the street from the last vestiges of a farm which maintained basic barnyard animals mostly for viewing and petting purposes. They had an ever growing abundance of fowl which could often be found wandering the neighborhood.

One day a pair of chickens worked their way all the way down our street. One of them walked up my driveway and hopped my fence into my backyard. My kids and their friends had the best time "observing" the chicken as it explored our backyard. My wife came home and thought it was really neat to have such a special visitor. Well, the next day he was still there. My wife called me up at work to excitedly report that he seemed to want to stay. I cautioned her not to feed him which would theoretically force him to return to the farm when hungry. Another day and the chicken was still there. Although I thought it was sort of neat at first I couldn't help but notice the large droppings around my yard. Another day and still the chicken remained. It took a few more days before I could get my wife to confess that she'd been feeding him.

After more then a week I sat my wife down and explained that while this was fun for a short while we weren't setup to keep a chicken. She reluctantly agreed and we enlisted the help of our neighbor who volunteered at the farm and had him relocate the chicken back to his friends. A few hours later I received a phone call from my wife who was excited and laughing all at once. The chicken had returned and in grand style. He strutted down the middle of the street, walked up to our front door and literally "knocked" (aka pecked) at the door until my wife came outside. Once she opened the door he walked around the side of the house, jumped over the fence and returned to his normal perch. My wife said it was as if though he was announcing his return.

Anyway, our chicken continued living in our backyard well into the winter. When it snowed we would clear out an area for the food and place some form of shelter for it to use. Sadly he went missing while we were out of town due to a death in the family. However my wife still loves telling stories about how he'd come sit outside our back door at around 4:00 PM every day waiting to be fed and would then walk over to his favorite perch, jump up and go to sleep.

Old 09-04-2007, 12:19 AM

12,644 posts, read 19,266,533 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post

There is also a crazy squirrel around here that steals light bulbs and drops them through a hole in the garage loft (ceiling) at night when im working sometimes.

-Joe
I have to ask where does it get the light bulbs from???

Old 09-05-2007, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe L View Post

-Joe
So glad you're enjoying life on the north fork Joe, I don't see you around much on the NY/LI board anymore. What kind of goat is it?

Old 09-05-2007, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2RDU View Post
In the Fall of 2004 a chicken adopted our family. We lived down the street from the last vestiges of a farm which maintained basic barnyard animals mostly for viewing and petting purposes. They had an ever growing abundance of fowl which could often be found wandering the neighborhood.

One day a pair of chickens worked their way all the way down our street. One of them walked up my driveway and hopped my fence into my backyard. My kids and their friends had the best time "observing" the chicken as it explored our backyard. My wife came home and thought it was really neat to have such a special visitor. Well, the next day he was still there. My wife called me up at work to excitedly report that he seemed to want to stay. I cautioned her not to feed him which would theoretically force him to return to the farm when hungry. Another day and the chicken was still there. Although I thought it was sort of neat at first I couldn't help but notice the large droppings around my yard. Another day and still the chicken remained. It took a few more days before I could get my wife to confess that she'd been feeding him.

After more then a week I sat my wife down and explained that while this was fun for a short while we weren't setup to keep a chicken. She reluctantly agreed and we enlisted the help of our neighbor who volunteered at the farm and had him relocate the chicken back to his friends. A few hours later I received a phone call from my wife who was excited and laughing all at once. The chicken had returned and in grand style. He strutted down the middle of the street, walked up to our front door and literally "knocked" (aka pecked) at the door until my wife came outside. Once she opened the door he walked around the side of the house, jumped over the fence and returned to his normal perch. My wife said it was as if though he was announcing his return.

Anyway, our chicken continued living in our backyard well into the winter. When it snowed we would clear out an area for the food and place some form of shelter for it to use. Sadly he went missing while we were out of town due to a death in the family. However my wife still loves telling stories about how he'd come sit outside our back door at around 4:00 PM every day waiting to be fed and would then walk over to his favorite perch, jump up and go to sleep.
great story! I love my chickens & they make great pets!

Old 09-05-2007, 12:36 PM

1,055 posts, read 4,679,344 times
Here are two that I raised in my bathroom, I would never do agian!.......I was living in Newport NC at the time. One of them use to come into the house if the door was left open.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds