U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-29-2012, 12:10 PM

5,341 posts, read 8,922,960 times

Advertisements

My blue & gold macaw LOVES to watch movies. She especially likes colorful, animated movies that have interesting voices.

When I leave the house for work I always put on one of her favorite movies. Her current favorites include Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs, Despicable Me, Horton Hears a Who (Jim Carrey version) and all of the Chipmunk movies. I had to hide Rio because after listening to it several times it got very annoying to me.

She has watched these so often that she actually has them memorized, and will imitate the voices. At the "exciting" parts she will flap her wings and dance, and never take her eyes off of the tv. When she knows one of her favorite parts is coming up she gets excited and waits for it.

Interestingly, she has no interest in some movies. She doesn't like The Simpsons, for example, or any of the modern cartoons. She HATES sports, and if I try to watch football or basketball in my room she starts knocking her beak against the cage in a loud and annoying manner until I give in and put on one of her movies, and then I have to go downstairs to watch sports. She does like NASCAR, however.

I actually bought an HD tv to put in my room for her. This is one spoiled bird.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2012, 12:23 PM

8,680 posts, read 14,299,336 times
I don't have a macaw, but my Nanday likes to look at the TV when I put a music channel on for him. He usually listens to the blues channel. The images change on the screen, but there's no movement or sudden sounds to startle him. Otherwise, when I'm watching TV, he goes beneath his quilt on the couch next to me and works on chewing up his toys. (I learned the hard way to put a towel down over the cushion, not so much for the poop--he'll climb out for that and start fussing to be taken off the couch--but for the "needlepoint" with his beak.)

I had an Alexandrine who used to love to watch skiing, ice-skating, and hockey. Anything with little people on a white background. She'd engage in typical "birdie concentration," where she'd angle her head and look at it with one eye, really focused.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:19 PM

166 posts, read 300,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yzette View Post
I don't have a macaw, but my Nanday likes to look at the TV when I put a music channel on for him.
Well, Conures are almost like Mini-Macaws. For example, here is a hybred macaw-conure. Notice the macaw eye patches.

Old 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM

166 posts, read 300,509 times
Oh...and here is a Nanday-Hahn's Macaw Hybrid:

Old 02-29-2012, 03:25 PM

1,908 posts, read 2,778,914 times
I had a military macaw for 26 years and he LOVED election night. He and my husband would sit together, curse and make comments and when everyone on TV cheered and rang their bells, the macaw (who had his own large cow bell hanging from his perch) would grab his bell and ring it and scream bloody murder! sadly both he and husband are dead but this memory still makes me laugh

Old 02-29-2012, 03:51 PM

8,680 posts, read 14,299,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperManGuy View Post
Oh...and here is a Nanday-Hahn's Macaw Hybrid:

Ooh, I just want to preen the wax off those pin feathers on his/her neck! So cute.

Old 02-29-2012, 07:46 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,343,913 times
Jack Jack likes horror movies...he talks to them and is realy into the creepy music...
we were watching secret window and right around the part that hes reliazing whats going on she walks into the house and goes "hello" (in typical horror movie style) jack jack answers, this goes on for a while then she starts climbing the stairs and suddenly the music changes to the creepy shes gonna get kiled music and jack jack goes OOOOO UH-OH...
i couldnt help but laugh. he seems to like musicals/anything with lots of fun music too.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:40 AM

2,540 posts, read 5,812,349 times
Your Blue & Gold sounds like one happy bird. My friend just finished hand feeding one. She is such a beauty. I had a Moluccan Cockatoo that loved Disney movies. He had his own VCR/DVD player and a cabinet of movies. His favorite was The Wizard of Oz. Now I have a Goffin that loves the Disney channel left on.

Just wanted to add, I never thought any of the Hybrids did justice to the bird. People need to quit mixing up an already beautiful species.

Old 03-01-2012, 10:42 AM

249 posts, read 761,475 times
I never had such a bird, but my ferret loved to look at colorful Christmas ornaments, and I have a cat that enjoys watching basketball on television.

You have a happy, well adjusted bird. Hope you enjoy his company for a long time.

Old 03-01-2012, 11:39 AM

5,341 posts, read 8,922,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahncss View Post

Just wanted to add, I never thought any of the Hybrids did justice to the bird. People need to quit mixing up an already beautiful species.

I agree, I have never seen a hybrid that was nearly as beautiful as either of the species they were mixed with. I don't understand why people do it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds