U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-07-2012, 03:49 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,176,047 times

Advertisements

I don't think a cage is necessarily cruel. I do, however, think it is cruel to keep any creature without a full understanding of their behavioral and social needs. Which unfortunately is the fate of most captive parrots. Few people truly have the time and patience to deal with a bird that is so intensely social and long-lived. Especially once the parrot becomes sexually mature and selects a 'mate', which often changes its behavior around other members of the household.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-07-2012, 08:40 PM

4,533 posts, read 7,285,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ParallelJJCat View Post
I don't think a cage is necessarily cruel. I do, however, think it is cruel to keep any creature without a full understanding of their behavioral and social needs. Which unfortunately is the fate of most captive parrots. Few people truly have the time and patience to deal with a bird that is so intensely social and long-lived. Especially once the parrot becomes sexually mature and selects a 'mate', which often changes its behavior around other members of the household.
Now that is a very insightful and intelligent observation (no sarcasm intended). I have to agree fully with your statement.

Old 07-08-2012, 03:15 AM

16,482 posts, read 22,369,219 times
I think if a bird is tame it is nice to give it some daily time out of its cage, but I think it is cruel to not keep them in a cage because there are so many bad things that can happen to the bird. A bird is not smart enough to not be underfoot, to not eat a houseplant that could be poisonous to it, to fly into a window etc.

Old 07-08-2012, 02:20 PM

24,380 posts, read 21,229,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
I think if a bird is tame it is nice to give it some daily time out of its cage, but I think it is cruel to not keep them in a cage because there are so many bad things that can happen to the bird. A bird is not smart enough to not be underfoot, to not eat a houseplant that could be poisonous to it, to fly into a window etc.
I totally disagree with that! Birds, especially parotts ARE SMART. They are doing just what comes naturally. Birds do not spend 100% of the time up in trees. It's WE who need to take care and watch where we step if we have a pet bird. If you let your bird out of it's cage, I'd say it was we humans who are not smart enough to watch out!

A bird has no idea what a window is. All they see is outdoors and naturally fly towards it.

Household plants, the only thing I can say about that is it's the human's fault to have plants that are poisonous to birds if you have a bird and let it out of it's cage.

It's not the birds being dumb, it's the human owners.

Old 07-09-2012, 12:10 AM

16,482 posts, read 22,369,219 times
Obviously it is the owner that needs to try to make the home as safe as possible. I was simply saying that there are a lot of things in the average home that can hurt or kill a bird that is loose all the time.

Old 07-09-2012, 08:58 AM

24,380 posts, read 21,229,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Obviously it is the owner that needs to try to make the home as safe as possible. I was simply saying that there are a lot of things in the average home that can hurt or kill a bird that is loose all the time.
THAT, I agree with.

Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 AM

8 posts, read 10,074 times
i think when it comes to birds, yeah you can say to some extent, it is!!! but most of the people i have seen, they keep birds as their pets, and birds seems so happy... it would be cruel, if you keep them all alone in the cage all day. you can give them some fun time, by flying them around in the house. place some indoor plants in the house for them to feel naturally free. but some alone time in the cage will make them understand that the cage is their home, a "safe home" where no intruder will come. So no, not true at all, it all depends on the way YOU keep your birds, inside and outside the cage!!!!

Old 07-10-2012, 08:30 AM

4,533 posts, read 7,285,658 times
Maybe you like to allow birds to chew up furniture and leave little surprises around the house. I don't like having to buy new furniture every few years or having to clean up those little surprises. My birds live in their cage and are quite protective about it. I interact with my birds, while they are in their cage, on a daily basis. Just my $.02 worth.

Old 07-10-2012, 10:07 AM

28,923 posts, read 68,900,807 times
One of my birds has a deformed wing. He could never fly. He is nto in his cage a lot, but he likes it, it is a safe place for him.

The other can fly, but she has not interest in flying. She wants her head and under her wing scratched 24/7 is it an obsession for her. She flies only to escape precieved danger and to get to her favorite humans. When she has a choice, she sill walk (waddle) rather than flying to her desired destination.

We have a cockatiel. He is allowed to fly around the house. Still he does nto fly a lot. Certain types of birds to not soar, they just flutter to a tree or from tree to tree to escape danger. The rest of the time, they walk around and chew up things.

We have 10 finches. They are in a large cage and will soon be in an aviary. They can fly in their cage, but seem to prefer to sit. When we had a huge aviary at a prior house, the finches did nto fly much. They woudl flit from branch to branch and fl to the ground or to their nests, but they did not seem to like to just fly around.

When birds get out of a cage, they usually just fly to a high place where they feel safe and sit there. They do not go flying around. I am nto sure that many birds fly becasue they enjoy flying. More to find food or escape danger. Birds live in a constant state of panic. A cage provides them a safe place. For some birds it may actually be a better life. For others, it my be oppressive and boring.

What is really cruel is to take on a pet bird and then ignore them. They crave attention and play time. Without it, they get bored to insanity and start pulling themselves apart.

Old 07-11-2012, 09:04 PM

3,070 posts, read 6,794,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Padgett2 View Post
However, can the caged bird miss something that it has never known? It has never ever learned to fly. It's something that they learn to do.
It is? I never "taught" my Sun Conure how to fly, but it's something she does very well. She started in the cage holding onto the bars with her feet and flapping her wings. Once she had enough exercise, she had no trouble flying to me from the cage the first time. I guess if a bird was in a cramped cage where they do not have sufficient room to exercise there wings will not be able to fly, but I wouldn't mistake it for not knowing how to fly.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds