U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2012, 09:22 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,941,242 times

Advertisements

So we had a Cockatoo for several years in our household and we'd let it out of the cage pretty frequently. But she became very territorial and would attack people who came into her room. Just think Kamikaze Parrot! It was nuts. I don't know how many pierced ears or scratches I accumulated from her attacks, but I know she made me afraid to be in my own home.

That said, if you have a friendly bird, I'd probably let them out as much as possible. Birds are very smart creatures and they can be very entertaining.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2013, 09:18 AM

2 posts, read 4,304 times
Make bird breeding illegal! Anyone cought breeding would have to spend time in a cage (jail)

Old 01-19-2013, 09:55 AM

2,342 posts, read 3,112,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you think keep pet birds in cages is cruel?

I think the greatest thing about being a bird is the ability to fly - to soar above the skies, a freedom that other creatures can only envy. So to confine a bird to a cage where it can barely fly at all is, I think, kind of cruel.

Some may think I'm a hypocrite because I'm an aquarist, but I think the two are fundamentally different. For a start, fish still get to swim in tanks, while birds hardly get to even fly at all in cages, unless you have a very large aviary. Also, most fish are pretty small relative to the size of their tanks. I also consider keeping goldfish in bowls or bettas in tiny containers equally cruel.

Ideally, bird owners would allow their birds to 'roam free' for at least an hour every day - although that is obviously problematic. I'm not crusading against bird-keeping as a hobby, although I personally feel keeping birds in cages is denying them an inborn right.
How would you like to live in prision in solitary confinement ? ? ?

Old 01-19-2013, 11:33 AM

4,533 posts, read 7,285,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
How would you like to live in prision in solitary confinement ? ? ?
Solitary confinement would imply that the confined would have no interaction with the outside world or any other person/animal. Not even a close comparison !!

I interact with my birds several times a day. Even when the door is wide open on their cage, they prefer to stay inside and are rather protective of their cage. Get real !!

Old 01-19-2013, 12:18 PM

2,342 posts, read 3,112,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Solitary confinement would imply that the confined would have no interaction with the outside world or any other person/animal. Not even a close comparison !!

I interact with my birds several times a day. Even when the door is wide open on their cage, they prefer to stay inside and are rather protective of their cage. Get real !!
So do many people in prision ! ! !

Old 01-19-2013, 12:47 PM

2,059 posts, read 1,219,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bumpus7 View Post
So do many people in prision ! ! !

LOL Bumpus

I am not a bird person, but I had a little parakeet live with me for awhile. He never left his cage. I would leave the cage door open, but he didn't like it and he would fuss about it. He liked his cage cleaned every day and would call me if I was late doing it. He watched with interest while I cleaned up. I kept his cage near me around the house unless he was napping, and he spent lots of time on the porch among my plants. He enjoyed his toys and new foods. I think he was a happy little bird. He did a lot of posturing and wing flapping.

I was disappointed that he preferred his cage, but I don't think his previous owner ever took him out. I wouldn't do that if I was starting out with a young bird, but I respected this bird's apparent wishes.

I love my personal freedom. I used to think birds must yearn to be free. I think you have to know freedom to yearn for it.

I have no desire to fly.

Old 01-19-2013, 07:08 PM

484 posts, read 736,837 times
It's not a black-or-white issue. You have to assess cruelty to a bird, or any animal, in the context of its entire care and life. My conure is fully flighted and spends hours a day outside of her cage. She's a great flyer and follows me wherever I go. I am also aware that she lives in an environment that is very different from that in which her ancestors lived, which can be considered a detriment that I have to make sure I balance out with enhancements to her life. She is fully protected from predators, provided a healthy diet, not exposed to harsh elements, and protected from diseases because she is captive. She has the ability to fly and knows what that feels like (although not for long distances outside), and gets a ton of attention from me. I think this all balances out pretty well from a moral standpoint. I also think we cannot know whether a captive bird feels it is missing something by not being able to fly outside ... even purposefully trying to escape might be instinctual and very different from what humans might consider a yearning for "freedom." If I take my conure to the windows of my apartment, she flies in the other direction, which leads me to believe she doesn't feel she's missing anything.

A friend of mine recently took his dog on a four-hour flight to visit his family. The dog was locked in a crate and kept in the plane's cargo hold. He sedated the dog for one leg of the trip. Was that "cruel" to the dog, or did it balance out in terms of cost and benefit (getting to be with his master)?

Old 01-24-2013, 03:47 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 9,254,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyhelpwilldo View Post
Make bird breeding illegal! Anyone cought breeding would have to spend time in a cage (jail)
I totally agree!

Most people are clueless about the horrific home after home after home and years of abuse birds endure at the hands of idiots that own birds. I am only talking about the idiots not the responsible bird owners. The only way this cycle will end is when the bird breeders are stopped (which will never happen) OR when people educate themselves about this situation (which will never happen) Humans are something else!

Just contact these guys and comb over their website to learn about the abuses these birds have gone through.

http://garudaaviary.org/

Last edited by TVC15; 01-24-2013 at 04:31 AM..

Old 01-24-2013, 06:56 AM

4,533 posts, read 7,285,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anyhelpwilldo View Post
That is an absolutely ridiculous statement.

Some folks might be abusive to their birds in breeding facilities, but don't paint the entire industry with a broad brush. Believe it or not, some exotic birds have been saved from the brink of near extinction by the act of captive breeding by individual breeders and zoo breeding programs.

Old 01-24-2013, 08:53 PM

6,591 posts, read 22,727,714 times
looks over at my macaw whos cage door is open...hes currently sat on his swing with a 1/2 wiffle ball on his head like a hat telling himself what a pretty boy he is and saying "jack jack dino RAWR"

yup...INCREDIBLY Cruel *rolls eyes*

jack can fly...he prefers to walk (or hitch a ride)
jack can leave his cage at any time he wants (when supervised because otherwise he tries to eat the wall..or the fish tank) and hes currently content to sit there with a ball on his head like a hat...
jack get more attentio in any one day than most people give thier human children
when the weather is nice jack spends time outside (on leash wiith me or in an outside cage) when outside he loves to chatter to the birds and say "oooo nuts" when he sees a squirrel, but if i leave him out in his outside cage and im not out thee with him ater bout 15 mins he stresses...
Jack is FULLY flighted!

jacks cage is HUGE (about 3 times larger than reccomended for his breed)

the cage is no different than a childs bedroom...its a safe zone...

saying bird breeding should be illigal is ridiculous...
just because some MONSTERS get their hands on these animals (just like people do cats, dogs, rabbits, livestock...CHILDREN) none of us shoud be able to be blessed with their company?

dd to that that Contact, exposure and education of humans by exosing them to these animals is the ONLY chance their wild cousins have at any kind of preservation.
jack frequently does educational seminars we talk to kids...these kids SEE him up close and personal, are told of the plight of these animals in the wild due to destruction of habitat...they develop a real world connection to these aniamls they see in person and can talk to and interact with...its been proven that real life exhibition does MORE for conservation efforts than books and movies...
theres something about personal exposure that forms a stronger connection to the plight...

we NEED GOOD captive breeding, GOOD bird owners and GOOD education in captivity in order to protect those flying free in an ever dwindling world.

What we do need is some kind of test before people can own ANY kind of anima or reporoduce...and stronger reprocussions for abusers/animal neglect ect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds