Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 01:56 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,445,382 times

Advertisements

^Sounds nice but it will never happen sad to say. We can't even get humans to be educated and good about bringing kids into this planet.

I feel for the birds because they are so very intelligent. I feel sadness for all wild critters that are captured and held in captivity. Then forced to breed.

It really is not ridiculous to want to put an end to bird breeding. Many bird breeders could care less who buys the bird just as long as they can sell it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2013, 01:58 AM

147 posts, read 284,833 times
Yes, personally I find keeping a bird in a cage incredibly cruel. They have wings for a reason.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:38 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliesyd View Post
Yes, personally I find keeping a bird in a cage incredibly cruel. They have wings for a reason.

Old 01-25-2013, 07:23 AM

6,471 posts, read 10,338,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Olliesyd View Post
Unless the bird is in a cage not big enough for them to open their wings, how is that relevant ?? I believe that the majority of bird owners are very humane to them and often treat them like a member of the family. As stated by another member, is it cruel for a child to have to live in a bedroom ? (I am not referring to solitary confinement or parental abuse)

Old 01-25-2013, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Unless the bird is in a cage not big enough for them to open their wings, how is that relevant ?? I believe that the majority of bird owners are very humane to them and often treat them like a member of the family. As stated by another member, is it cruel for a child to have to live in a bedroom ? (I am not referring to solitary confinement or parental abuse)
Birds have wings for the purpose of flying. Most birds in captivity are not in kept in flight cages.

Let me ask you this...would it be cruel to not allow a child to run or walk or use it's arms as they were intended?

Stating that the majority of bird owners are humane is not accurate.

Look up all the bird rescue and rehabilitation sites around the US. The sheer numbers of birds ending up at these facilities is a good indication that most bird’s owners have no business owning a bird.

Most people just go out on a whim and buy a bird without having one ounce of knowledge on how to properly care for the bird.

In particular Parrots are high maintenance, needs a lot of attention, a lot of stimulation and exercise, a diet of fresh fruit, veggies and pellet. Showers and nail trimmings.
Most who run out and purchase a Parrot do not educate themselves about the bird and its needs. Why do you think there are so many Bird Rescue sites in the US? Actually there are not enough Bird rescue shelters...and many are overwhelmed. They have a huge responsibility. Helping abused and neglected birds is a full time job. Some birds never recover and will never be adoptable. This is where the birds usually end up after enduring years of abuse and neglect.

One Bird Sanctuary that I know of has a mission to educate people before they just run out on a whim and buy a bird.

Garuda Aviary

My advice before buying a Parrot...please go out and buy a book about the particular parrot you are interested in bringing home and learn all about it and what it takes to properly raise it BEFORE you purchase it.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:33 PM

1,399 posts, read 2,174,082 times
I don’t believe it’s cruel if the bird has an appropriate cage, food, and mental and physical stimulation. Of course everyone has variations of what all of those mean. For me, an appropriate cage is one that allows the bird to move freely, open and flap his wings, has enough room for toys and a variety of perches. Also, they need time outside of the cage. Appropriate food is healthy food, not seeds. Like veggies, fruits, and high quality pellets. I have an Eclectus and diet is so, so important for them. For mental stimulation, this could be a variety of things. Like teaching them tricks, teaching them to talk, having them be a part of your life and your family, introducing them to a variety of people, including foraging activities into their daily routine, etc. Finally, physical stimulation means allowing them to be flighted if it is safe or taking them outside in an appropriate carrier or in a harness.

Old 01-25-2013, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post

My advice before buying a Parrot...please go out and buy a book about the particular parrot you are interested in bringing home and learn all about it and what it takes to properly raise it BEFORE you purchase it.
That is good advice, but as I stated it is unfair to paint all bird breeders with the same brush. When I was an active bird breeder, I had flight cages at least 6-8 feet long by 4-5 feet wide/tall for my larger birds. I have two Amazon parrots in a large Macaw cage about 6 foot high, 5 feet tall/wide. Hardly an inhumane condition.

Old 01-25-2013, 03:39 PM

Quote:
That is good advice, but as I stated it is unfair to paint all bird breeders with the same brush. When I was an active bird breeder, I had flight cages at least 6-8 feet long by 4-5 feet wide/tall for my larger birds. I have two Amazon parrots in a large Macaw cage about 6 foot high, 5 feet tall/wide. Hardly an inhumane condition.
I really don't think I was painting breeders as inhumane. I wish bird breeders would stop the cycle.

The bird breeder’s goal is to make money from selling birds. People buy these birds and don't fully understand the enormous amount of care these birds need. I have never met a bird breeder that made it a point to thoroughly educate the purchaser. To make sure the purchaser reads the appropriate book BEFORE purchasing the bird.

Most people would not buy the Parrot after reading all that is required to properly care for a bird of that magnitude.

Old 01-25-2013, 05:20 PM

Sorry if I said you were painting all breeders as inhumane, Olliesyd actually did that. When I was a bird breeder, I was trying to make a buck (and I won't lie about that), but I also felt that there was an element of conservatism as I bred many threatened and endangered species successfully as well as working with a major college of veterinary medicine who studied several species in my facility.

Old 01-25-2013, 06:29 PM

147 posts, read 284,833 times
Quote:
As stated by another member, is it cruel for a child to have to live in a bedroom ? (I am not referring to solitary confinement or parental abuse)
Sorry a tad confused here (sorry didn't see the original post referring to your comment re child and bedroom) but can you explain - child and bedroom?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds