U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2013, 08:41 PM

4,567 posts, read 7,354,129 times

Advertisements

Olliesyd,

I am afraid no matter what I say will make any difference in you thoughts or opinions on the matter. I won't try to argue any further with you. I have expressed my opinions and you have yours. Let's leave it at that and avoid a flame war. Perhaps my example was not the best one and I can live with that. Hopefully you can agree to disagree with me. No harm meant.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2013, 07:34 PM

147 posts, read 264,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Olliesyd,

I am afraid no matter what I say will make any difference in you thoughts or opinions on the matter. I won't try to argue any further with you. I have expressed my opinions and you have yours. Let's leave it at that and avoid a flame war. Perhaps my example was not the best one and I can live with that. Hopefully you can agree to disagree with me. No harm meant.
Sorry I'm not arguing with you?! We haven't had any interaction at all other than when you quoted one of my comments and mentioned something about keeping children in bedrooms or something. I was just asking what the child and bedroom comment is about - honestly I am just totally intrigued.

Old 01-26-2013, 07:37 PM

147 posts, read 264,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
Sorry if I said you were painting all breeders as inhumane, Olliesyd actually did that.
Did I?

Up until I saw your above post I had only made one brief comment on this thread which was:

"Yes, personally I find keeping a bird in a cage incredibly cruel. They have wings for a reason"

Where exactly did I say "people who keep birds are inhuman"?

??

Very odd thing to make up...

Old 01-26-2013, 07:41 PM

4,567 posts, read 7,354,129 times
Olliesyd,

I am done with this debate. I apologized for my comparison of a child in a bedroom since it was a poor choice on my part. I have offered my opinion which differs from yours. Have a good day.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:21 AM

1,442 posts, read 2,355,901 times
My 19 year old Cockatiel loves his cage. The first year or two we had him, we used to let him fly around the house, but this made him a nervous wreck. He was only happy in his cage with his mirror, toys, and window to look out. So that's where he has stayed for about 17 years. All he has known/likes is his cage. Call me cruel if you want, but my bird seems happy.

Old 01-27-2013, 03:18 PM

6,591 posts, read 22,816,564 times
i belive i made the coment that a birds cage is like a childs bedroom, its SUPPOSED to be a safe comfortable space wwhen you cant supervise them

and again

Quote:
Birds have wings for the purpose of flying. Most birds in captivity are not in kept in flight cages.
jacks not in a flight cage, tough his cage is big enough for him to stretch 100% PLUS some and flap fully as hard as he can without even comming close to touching the walls.
jck is a MACAW...
jack has wings, they are NOT clipped he is fully flighted..if he wants to fly he can... and he knows he can...yet i more often than not find himself WALKING everywhere possible...he could fly form his cage to the kitchen, but instead ill turn around and hes on the floor behind my feet following me...
he CAN fly and he chooses not to...
his cage is RARELY closed (again his cage is a "bedroom" just like the dogs crates, hes in it and locked in ONLY when nessicay for his own saftey...(ie im having a shower, or have to go get groceries ect) he can come and go as he pleases during about 90% of the waking day...he can fly freely round the house...
and in the summer when i put his harness on he has a fligth line and can easily and safely fly outdoors (while still being unable to get caught in an updraft or spooked ect) and he CHOOSES not to...hed much rather be chilling on his tree, forraging/eating or snuggling with me.

bird FLY becuase they have to, parrots spend MOST of their day forraging for food, they fly form feeding ground to nesting spot and spent the maority of the rest of the day on the ground and in trees, enjoying eachother, preening, playing by hanging off branches and forraging for nuts seeds and berries by walking and climbing...

YES seeing a bird fly is a beautiful thing for us humans...but for birds its a SURVIVAL mechanism...
jack feels aboslulty no NEED to fly, or he would...so that tells me flight is MUCH less "wonderfull" in a birds life than it for a human seeing the beauty of it...most of the time if they are flying its because they HAVE to...birds in captivity dont HAVE to fly.

even in huge zoo aviaries plenty big enough for flight most hookbill species wll spend the majority of the day wandring about, climbing and swinging...you remove the threat of predation and the need to fly from food to sleep areas and many birds CHOOSE not to fly.

Old 01-28-2013, 04:46 PM

484 posts, read 739,298 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i belive i made the coment that a birds cage is like a childs bedroom, its SUPPOSED to be a safe comfortable space wwhen you cant supervise them

and again

jacks not in a flight cage, tough his cage is big enough for him to stretch 100% PLUS some and flap fully as hard as he can without even comming close to touching the walls.
jck is a MACAW...
jack has wings, they are NOT clipped he is fully flighted..if he wants to fly he can... and he knows he can...yet i more often than not find himself WALKING everywhere possible...he could fly form his cage to the kitchen, but instead ill turn around and hes on the floor behind my feet following me...
he CAN fly and he chooses not to...
his cage is RARELY closed (again his cage is a "bedroom" just like the dogs crates, hes in it and locked in ONLY when nessicay for his own saftey...(ie im having a shower, or have to go get groceries ect) he can come and go as he pleases during about 90% of the waking day...he can fly freely round the house...
and in the summer when i put his harness on he has a fligth line and can easily and safely fly outdoors (while still being unable to get caught in an updraft or spooked ect) and he CHOOSES not to...hed much rather be chilling on his tree, forraging/eating or snuggling with me.

bird FLY becuase they have to, parrots spend MOST of their day forraging for food, they fly form feeding ground to nesting spot and spent the maority of the rest of the day on the ground and in trees, enjoying eachother, preening, playing by hanging off branches and forraging for nuts seeds and berries by walking and climbing...

YES seeing a bird fly is a beautiful thing for us humans...but for birds its a SURVIVAL mechanism...
jack feels aboslulty no NEED to fly, or he would...so that tells me flight is MUCH less "wonderfull" in a birds life than it for a human seeing the beauty of it...most of the time if they are flying its because they HAVE to...birds in captivity dont HAVE to fly.

even in huge zoo aviaries plenty big enough for flight most hookbill species wll spend the majority of the day wandring about, climbing and swinging...you remove the threat of predation and the need to fly from food to sleep areas and many birds CHOOSE not to fly.
I think there's a lot of truth in what you say. We humans tend to romanticize and project human feelings where they may not necessarily belong.

Old 02-12-2013, 08:30 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,430,877 times
I wouldn't want to cage my birds.

Old 02-12-2013, 10:10 PM

6,591 posts, read 22,816,564 times
lol, if i tried that with jack jack thered be no plants left! lol!
love it though!

Old 02-13-2013, 09:27 AM

6,137 posts, read 4,430,877 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
lol, if i tried that with jack jack thered be no plants left! lol!
love it though!
That was two weeks ago. That tree no longer has leaves and all of the bark has been stripped off, it's since been replaced with a man made tree.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds