U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-24-2012, 06:45 AM

24,682 posts, read 50,531,164 times

Advertisements

Do you think keep pet birds in cages is cruel?

I think the greatest thing about being a bird is the ability to fly - to soar above the skies, a freedom that other creatures can only envy. So to confine a bird to a cage where it can barely fly at all is, I think, kind of cruel.

Some may think I'm a hypocrite because I'm an aquarist, but I think the two are fundamentally different. For a start, fish still get to swim in tanks, while birds hardly get to even fly at all in cages, unless you have a very large aviary. Also, most fish are pretty small relative to the size of their tanks. I also consider keeping goldfish in bowls or bettas in tiny containers equally cruel.

Ideally, bird owners would allow their birds to 'roam free' for at least an hour every day - although that is obviously problematic. I'm not crusading against bird-keeping as a hobby, although I personally feel keeping birds in cages is denying them an inborn right.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 06-26-2012, 07:15 AM

7,100 posts, read 25,794,597 times
How do you feel about making people wear clothes? Certainly the small child prefers to run around without any. Why do we insist that he or she put on clothes?

But I agree with you, the whole thing of having a caged bird seems like a selfish thing. However, can the caged bird miss something that it has never known? It has never ever learned to fly. It's something that they learn to do.

Wouldn't it be more cruel to allow it to fly a little, roam freely for an hour, and then shut it back up?

Old 06-27-2012, 05:01 PM

13,493 posts, read 17,483,209 times
Trimac20...Yes, I think keeping birds in a cage is cruel.....but if the bird was raised in captivity it would know nothing else, and would probably die if turned loose....so what can we do?... Every one I have known who's had a bird, also lets them fly out of the cage occasionally.(they love it)...and when/if you do let them out, the birds always go back into their cages by themselves...as they see that cage as their own home sweet home. As long as people are allowed to harvest birds from exotic locations and then sell them..this practice will go on...and especially in the case of birds bred and raised in captivity, they know no difference and can live long and healthy happy lives in our homes as pets...like dogs and cats..and like the fish that you keep caged...same thing.

Old 06-27-2012, 07:42 PM

90,437 posts, read 86,479,323 times
When I was a kid, I was given a canary in a cage. That little bird was so happy, always singing, splashing around in its little bath, such a bright spirit! Due to an unfortunate accident the bird later died, and was replaced with another one. The second canary had a completely different personality. Not so much singing. In short order, it figured out how to open the door to its cage, and got out, and flew around the house. After being recaptured and returned to its cage, the third time was the charm--it got out and found an open window, never to be seen again.

It really makes you think, doesn't it? I suppose if we polled the birds, we might get two different answers to the OP's question.

Old 06-27-2012, 08:33 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,333,449 times
my macaw is fully flighted...he can fly, he knows he can fly and he is allowed to fly whenever he wants...and yet...he prefers to ride around on my shoulder...if i leave him in the livingroom and head into the kitchen hell fly to the floor and then WALK to come find me...there are days when he likes to stretch his wings and fly around like a crazy bird...but 9 times out of 10 he prefers to climb and walk or be "cheuffered" by riding ON me (and he'll literally sit on my foot while im walking if im not wearing cloths condusvie of climbing my leg lol.)
jack jack is a mini macaw (severe) and his cage is 6ft tall by 4 ft wide by 3 ft deep...and the door is open any time im inside the house, hes only closed in if i have to go out to do stuff, or if im outside with the dogs (and thats because he liked to try and EaT my fishtank (and has chipped the corner)

my 2 lineoated parakeets...they are also fuly flighted, and ye tthere another species that prefers to climb...infact the species is well known to fly like a rock! lol, wings or not there just not built for realy sustained flight and prefer to climb around than try to fly...

do i think its cruel to put a bird in a small cage, with only an hour a day to get out and explore (if any) YES...but i dont think cages themselves are cruel...infact jack jack loves his cage and tells the dogs and cats off when they get to close (no literally he tells them "Baaaaad" and tries to bite them...lol.)

he also gets to spend lots of time outside...but hes always harnessed outside (for everyones saftey hes a young macaw with a big beak)

Old 06-28-2012, 08:41 AM

852 posts, read 1,180,230 times
Ok, I have 7 pet birds, and 4 baby cockatiels on top of that I am selling (I've taken up breeding cockatiels as a hobby since my two have tremendous "lust" for each other, but anyway...). Therefore, I figure I should have an opinion on the matter.

We do let ours out almost everyday, but it depends on breeds. Our parrot is out for hours at a time, and she is well behaved and used to it. The cockatiels are out for an hour tops, just because they are breeding right now, or they are babies and need to be limited due to needing to have additional warmth. However, when they are not breeding, I'd say an hour or two. I keep them all clipped, or they will fly toward the window and get hurt. So, what is better...freeedom to roam with limitations, or less freedom and chance of injury? I also clip the parrot, but only major flight feathers so she doesn't fly into things, but can coast from floor to floor in our house without injury. Besides, as Foxy stated, some birds like to climb not fly. Our parrot and cockatiels are climbers.

I also have 4 parakeets, they are not clipped right now, and actually do not fly into the windows. However, I rarely let them out because they have to be in the mood to be out (they will sometimes stay in cage when door is opened and have no interest in coming out). Ho

That being said....we have shower perches (yes, I take all my birds in the shower with me), we have stands, special ladders going from the floor back into their cage, and we have areas where the birds can sit and look out the window. If you are going to let them out as much as we do, you might as well have fun things from them that are totally bird friendly.

But anyway, are cages cruel - for the parrot yes, she is spoiled and hates her cage. For the cockatiels, no - it is where they have their young. And for parakeets, no - it is there home and they don't like to be far from it for long.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:02 AM

3,088 posts, read 4,991,319 times
Birds raised in captivity, most especially birds imprinted on humans, would certainly not survive for long, in most parts of the U.S. if set free. The avialability of a flight cage is no substitute for real freedom. The question is better addressed by understanding the needs (physical and psycological) of the particular bird (or specie) in question. Most birds can live a "good" life, if provided with food, water, shelter, an appropriate physical climate (temperature, etc.). If they have been raised in such a climate, most birds would experience fear and panic if "set loose".

My opinion is colored by the fact that I volunteer, 3 days a week, for an organization that rescues and rehabilitates wild birds. Our main focus is large raptors, eagles, hawks and owls, but we take in and care for any bird that is brought to us for treatment. Those birds that can be healed, rehabilitated, and released, are. These birds are handled as little as posssible, consistent with necessary care, and are shielded from contact with humans as much as is possible. Unfortunately, we do get many birds that due to grevious injury will never again be able to survive in the wild. Those birds that can be healed, and can become accustomed to humans, are placed in wildlife education programs, if possible. Some of these birds that are not tempermentally suited to human contact, can be used as "foster parents" for young birds of the same specie. Those that cannot be placed or released are usually put to sleep, as that is the kindest option available. Our education birds show little sign of any "distress" from not being free. I have seen birds that accidentally got out of their enclosures, voluntarily return to them.

I believe that "pet" parrots, born and raised in captivity, would not be happy without the human contact that they rely upon and are accustomed to. While providing flight cages for pet birds may be the ideal, it is not practical for most people, and I do not believe it is necessary for the bird to live a full and "happy" life.

Old 06-28-2012, 10:16 AM

1,794 posts, read 4,439,555 times
Yes, keeping anything in a cage is cruel.
How would you like it if I put you in a cage
as a pet? Do you think you would like it?

Old 06-28-2012, 10:18 AM

7,300 posts, read 6,164,732 times
That's a great point! I think it is cruel because it denies their method of moving around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
Do you think keep pet birds in cages is cruel?

I think the greatest thing about being a bird is the ability to fly - to soar above the skies, a freedom that other creatures can only envy. So to confine a bird to a cage where it can barely fly at all is, I think, kind of cruel.

Some may think I'm a hypocrite because I'm an aquarist, but I think the two are fundamentally different. For a start, fish still get to swim in tanks, while birds hardly get to even fly at all in cages, unless you have a very large aviary. Also, most fish are pretty small relative to the size of their tanks. I also consider keeping goldfish in bowls or bettas in tiny containers equally cruel.

Ideally, bird owners would allow their birds to 'roam free' for at least an hour every day - although that is obviously problematic. I'm not crusading against bird-keeping as a hobby, although I personally feel keeping birds in cages is denying them an inborn right.

Old 06-28-2012, 12:42 PM

8,595 posts, read 4,810,120 times
Do you think cats and dogs should roam free? Should we humans even have pets at all? Just let all domesticated animals run free? Have dogs and cats be run over by cars, get sick and diseased, etc., just because keeping them as indoor pets is "cruel" and unnatural If you were a cat would you rather die FREE outside at 2 years old, or live indoors as a pet until you were 22 years old?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds