Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2012, 08:00 PM

506 posts, read 1,155,765 times

Advertisements

When it comes to budgies, a green budgie cost the same as a lutino, blue, or albino.

When it comes to cockatiels, a lutino or other fancy cockatiel mutation cost only slighly more than a regular cockatiel.

Questions:

When will Lutino Quaker cost only slighly more than a green Quaker, just like cockatiels and budgies?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2012, 10:51 PM

6,391 posts, read 10,181,986 times
A yellow (Lutino) quaker is more expensive.

For example, I used to breed Ringneck parakeet mutations. A green was the cheapest, a Lutino was about $50 more and a Blue was about $100 more than a green. Don't know how much they are sold for now since I am out of the business.

Old 07-23-2012, 11:09 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,769,932 times
i dont know they ever will...

mutations in various breeds have various difficulties, its also based on the actaul availability of said color mutation.
Budgies and teils are highly common and their gentics so heavily diversified and breeding is so prolific that mutations are very easy to get even accidentally...
however in other bird species those mutations are more difficult to aquire, manipulate ect.

general rule of thumb is 1 color doesnt become "cheaper" untill a new color becomes available... so right now say theres the green, lutino and blue...blue being most expensive...when breeders develop a new color through selective breding eventually the other colors become a little cheaper...BUT due to gentics some species of bird only have so many variations possible no matter how you play with it...
in those cases the colors will only become cheaper as more animals (of any color) enter the market...

Old 07-24-2012, 03:47 PM

484 posts, read 818,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
i dont know they ever will...

mutations in various breeds have various difficulties, its also based on the actaul availability of said color mutation.
Budgies and teils are highly common and their gentics so heavily diversified and breeding is so prolific that mutations are very easy to get even accidentally...
however in other bird species those mutations are more difficult to aquire, manipulate ect.

general rule of thumb is 1 color doesnt become "cheaper" untill a new color becomes available... so right now say theres the green, lutino and blue...blue being most expensive...when breeders develop a new color through selective breding eventually the other colors become a little cheaper...BUT due to gentics some species of bird only have so many variations possible no matter how you play with it...
in those cases the colors will only become cheaper as more animals (of any color) enter the market...
I agree. You may be aware that a few years ago someone bred a completely red African Grey. I think the breeder conducted an auction for the bird, starting at around $100,000. A Google search would reveal the details. I have also seen solid blue yellow-naped amazon mutations on-line that have sold for tens of thousands.

Old 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM

Quote:

Wrong! If a green quaker costs $100, a blue would be about $300, but a lutino costs about $800.

Old 07-25-2012, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunset2000 View Post
Wrong! If a green quaker costs $100, a blue would be about $300, but a lutino costs about $800.
I know with ringneck parakeets a Lutino was less than a Blue mutation and an Albino was more expensive than a Blue. The Lutino mutation is easier to breed than a Blue or Albino. I would have to imagine it is similar as a quaker parakeet. I still have the genetic profile sheets for Indian Ringneck Parakeets that confirm the percentage chance of each color mutations based on the genetic traits of the parents.

Old 07-25-2012, 07:00 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,769,932 times
acutally not wrong because i said SUPPOSE, as in, i was simply giving an example, i dont own ringnecks or quakers, or conures ect so have no idea how much they in particular cost as ive no interest in owning one so i havent looked...

i have a macaw and lineolated parakeets...dont have many color mutations in macaws and linnies are relitivly new to the pet market so cant realy use their color mutations as an example.

i could have just as easily said "supposed there wa a pink, a purple and a polka dotted...polka dotted being most expensive"...it was an EXAMPLE, nothing more or less...

the short and sweet is, the harder to breed the mutation the more expensive it wil be, and untill that mutation becomes more saturated in the market or a rarer mutation comes along the price wont drop...
supply and demand...people want "rare" and will pay for "rare" so "rare" sells for more and most breeders wil charge whatever the market is willing to pay...

Old 07-25-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
dont have many color mutations in macaws ..

Old 07-26-2012, 08:28 AM

14,785 posts, read 23,946,607 times
You do realize that color mutation are also sterile correct ? and you can try all you want to to breed them but it will never come to reality because all color mutations are sterile . Nope color mutations will never go down in price because they are so hard to come by thus the supply and demand comes into play . I no longer have any birds i used to own quakers but became horribly allergic to a protein they put off in their feathers so now can never own birds again .

Old 07-26-2012, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
You do realize that color mutation are also sterile correct ? and you can try all you want to to breed them but it will never come to reality because all color mutations are sterile . Nope color mutations will never go down in price because they are so hard to come by thus the supply and demand comes into play . I no longer have any birds i used to own quakers but became horribly allergic to a protein they put off in their feathers so now can never own birds again .
Absolutely false. Birds with color mutations are not sterile. As mentioned, I used to breed Indian Ringnecks and I had breeding pairs of Green, Lutino and Blue mutations and was one generation away from a pair of albinos.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds