Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 02:25 PM

14 posts, read 30,537 times

Advertisements

I had the same problem with moths also. I called the place where I had purchased the bird seed and they told me to place the bird seed in the freezer a few days, like many of you have indicated here. It seems that the freezer is the answer to many of our problems. So, I store most everything in the freezer nowadays, cereal, coffee, all types of batteries, and other things as well, including the bird seed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2013, 08:46 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
I've been in the bird business since 1979 and freezing the seed is the best preventative. I always keep some of the sticky traps around but they in themselves will not eliminate the problem. The wife and I also have a couple of electronic tennis rackets around the house to zap the occasional flyer.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:27 PM

1 posts, read 5,179 times
Okay, I've had parakeets for 12 or more years. With my first 2 birds, I never had a problem. After they died I decided to purchase 2 new birds. Now I have moths that I never had before. I bought the traps and yes they work but they capture so many, I can't imagine where they're hiding. I purchased sealed food and freeze it. I then fill a container with a twist top and I still have moths! I've moved the birds out of my room and even got rid of the old dresser they were on and cleaned and vacuumed every molding etc and still the trap catches them!! The birds are in a spare room (basically empty) for the summer and in my bedroom, the trap is still catching moths! What the heck? I can't figure this one out except that my other birds were tame and I could take the entire cage and clean it in the shower which I'm not able to do with these 2 crazies. I guess I'll have to let them out more and just dunk the cage in hot water every couple days. Got to go out and get more traps~think I'll order a 6 pack or more and try again to eliminate this issue.

Old 08-31-2013, 03:57 PM

194 posts, read 444,493 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snocaps View Post
Okay, I've had parakeets for 12 or more years. With my first 2 birds, I never had a problem. After they died I decided to purchase 2 new birds. Now I have moths that I never had before. I bought the traps and yes they work but they capture so many, I can't imagine where they're hiding. I purchased sealed food and freeze it. I then fill a container with a twist top and I still have moths! I've moved the birds out of my room and even got rid of the old dresser they were on and cleaned and vacuumed every molding etc and still the trap catches them!! The birds are in a spare room (basically empty) for the summer and in my bedroom, the trap is still catching moths! What the heck? I can't figure this one out except that my other birds were tame and I could take the entire cage and clean it in the shower which I'm not able to do with these 2 crazies. I guess I'll have to let them out more and just dunk the cage in hot water every couple days. Got to go out and get more traps~think I'll order a 6 pack or more and try again to eliminate this issue.
Once you see the moths, it's too late. To solve the problem, you have to kill the larvae which, for lack of a better description, look like inchworms. They hide in cracks and crevices and then work their way up to the ceiling and closet moldings. Look for worm like creatures and their cocoons and remove. Spray the cracks and crevices along the molding and baseboard with a pyrethrin based insecticide such as Cy-kick or 221L which are both manufactured by BASF. Also, if you store your bird feed in plastic containers, inspect the lids closely for the larvae. Indian meal moths also flourish in flour based products such as pasta, dried flower arrangements, DeCon mouse bait, and the dried garlic wallhangings which grace many Italian kitchens.

Last edited by paperman1111; 08-31-2013 at 03:59 PM.. Reason: i do know the difference between a personal and possessive pronoun

Old 08-31-2013, 04:40 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,668,835 times
Wow. In all my years of having all different kinds of birds. I've never had any moths.
Did not know about the trick to freezing seed either. But never found moths in the seed to begin with.
If I did, I'd stop buying that brand.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:19 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
I have to thank you guys for helping me to start clearing up my moth problem! Never heard of "moth traps" before but see that WalMart sells them. Yippee! I also am now freezing my parakeet and parrot's food before I open them. Great idea. Thanks so much.

Old 09-21-2013, 12:46 PM

3,041 posts, read 7,930,791 times
We bought a home in CT,estate sale,vacant but heated etc.had infestation.After 3-4 weeks work got rid of moths.We now have moth traps from Home Depot,expensive but work.They have chemical which will attract the moths.

Old 10-23-2013, 01:07 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,184,303 times
I have to thank you guys for making my life better. With the tips of freezing the seed and moth traps, my home is almost moth free now. Can't thank you all enough!

Old 10-23-2013, 02:24 PM

23,856 posts, read 24,091,732 times
They're Indian meal moths. Had a heck of a time keeping them in check when I was in the pet biz. Usually had one or two flying around the store at any given time.

Freeze the seed when you get it home. That should take care of them.

Old 01-26-2014, 12:32 PM

16 posts, read 27,619 times
We have a couple of spiders that roam the kitchen at night, once the Moths are gone the Spiders disappear soon afterwards…or you can just freeze the seed first
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds