Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2012, 08:08 AM

5,346 posts, read 9,851,796 times

Advertisements

Although I feed my bird pellets, I occasionally gave a few seeds as a treat. I always bought a name-brand seed from our parrot specialty store.

A couple of months ago I opened a new package of seed and I was surprised to see one moth fly out of the bag. Weird. I killed the moth and didn't think too much about it.

About a week later my bedroom (where my bird lives, and I keep the seed) had a couple dozen moths flying all around! I tried chasing them and killing them for a few days but even when I killed all I could find more showed up with days.

So I went to the hardware store and bought two moth traps. They are sold flat in a box, and you have to bend them into a tent-like shape and leave them where the moths can find them.

As soon as I opened the package, before I even had the trap folded the moths started flying in and sticking themselves to the trap. They all flew in, and although I left the trap out for weeks no more appeared.

Just thought I would pass on the advice: Moth traps are very effective!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2012, 06:55 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,849,692 times
I've heard a good way to prevent this is to freeze the seed for a few days when you first buy it.

We used to store bird food for outdoor birds in a large bins in the house. There were a few weeks when it was rainy out and we couldn't put any of the food out, so we hadn't opened the bins. Then I started noticing little weevil-like bugs all over the house, especially in the kitchen and bathroom...

For some reason it still took me a few days to figure out where they were coming from. If you put your ear to the top of the bins, you could hear the millions of tiny little bugs moving in there. We ended up having to call an exterminator.

Moral of the story- don't store huge amounts of seed in your house

Old 09-23-2012, 07:56 PM

734 posts, read 1,635,918 times
What a coincidence! Just tonight I spent all evening cleaning out a closet that had moths from bird seed. I emptied the closet, threw away all the old seed, made sure everything else was securely sealed and sprayed. I hope I got it in time before they infest the whole house! I will pick up some of those moth traps!! Thanks for the info!!!

Old 09-26-2012, 03:54 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,772,406 times
We use the traps too. They work well but do not provide complete elimination. The do nothing about the grub like caterpillars you find crawling on your cieling (ick). I hate hate hate those moths. Plus then make ugly blotches on your cieling when you wack them with a towel.

I forgot abotu the freezer thing. We need to buy a bigger freezer, but I think I will keep the bulk seed in the freezer and just keep out enough for a day or two. They also live in the spent or thrown seed, so you have to vacuum a lot and clean the cages constatantly. Frankly I thin they are just something you have to live with if you have birds.

I have always wondered, some moths will eat your clothing. Will these?

Old 09-26-2012, 04:43 PM

2,873 posts, read 5,849,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Nope...pantry moths and clothes moths are different species.

Old 09-28-2012, 04:41 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,473,498 times
When I had birds I would freeze their food before I ever started letting the birds eat it. Freeze a few days and it will stop your moth problem.

Old 10-01-2012, 08:24 PM

5,035 posts, read 9,220,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
We use the traps too. They work well but do not provide complete elimination. The do nothing about the grub like caterpillars you find crawling on your cieling (ick). I hate hate hate those moths. Plus then make ugly blotches on your cieling when you wack them with a towel.

I forgot abotu the freezer thing. We need to buy a bigger freezer, but I think I will keep the bulk seed in the freezer and just keep out enough for a day or two. They also live in the spent or thrown seed, so you have to vacuum a lot and clean the cages constatantly. Frankly I thin they are just something you have to live with if you have birds.

Absolutely not. We have had birds for decades and never had a moth problem, (knock on wood).

All of our pellets get frozen for a few days, as soon as we get them, then transferred to the refrigerator prior to use. (Yes, we have a separate fridge/freezer for bird food. When we were breeding and had many birds, we had several of them.) The same goes for their other food, (ie millet). Cage & playstand papers are changed daily and with that goes most tossed dry food. We do a quick vacuum around the cages and playstands daily, (even though the dog eats most of the tossed food that hits the ground).

Honestly, I am more concerned about the possibility of having ants, since pieces of corn on the cob seem to fly for miles, as do little chunks of watermelon. I'm always afraid I'll miss something when cleaning up. I swear one of our guys in particular was a baseball pitcher in a past life.

This doesn't mean we will never get moths, but it's certainly not something you have to live with if you have birds. You just have to live with the potential.

Old 10-13-2012, 12:04 PM

11,039 posts, read 16,853,040 times
I hadn't had a problem with moths at all until I adopted my friend's parents' budgie a few months back :/ Within a week, I had moths. With my amazon, I exclusively feed him pellets and fresh food - he doesn't like seed and never has - but with the budgie, I tried pellets and he won't touch them.

I haven't tried freezing the food; thanks for the heads up, everyone. Between moth traps and a pet-safe spray (I move the birds to another room for a few hours afterwards) it's mostly under control, but... ugh, I hate those revolting creatures.

Old 10-18-2012, 05:09 PM

2,540 posts, read 6,228,936 times
I agree about freezing seed to get rid of moths. A better suggestion is to get birds on pellets. They're much better for them than a seed diet.

Old 12-08-2012, 08:45 AM

26 posts, read 117,352 times
I too was wondering about the moths coming out of my parakeet seeds. Thanks for the heads-up on freezing their food for a few days. I am going to try that for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds