Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2012, 03:56 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,884 times

Advertisements

My neighbors have chickens. This is the second summer they've had them. I can't stand them.

First, let me preface this by saying that we have/had been very good friends with these neighbors for a number of years, going on vacations & family events with them. But 2 of their 4 children are really terribly behaved, & since we adopted a child 2 years ago it has been affecting our relations.

So last year they built a coop & got about 8 chicks & 3 ducks. The coop is basically outside of MY bedroom window, where as their window is around the corner on the other side of the house. After complaining about what turned out to be roosters for 2 weeks or so, they finally killed them. The ducks were incredibly noisy as well & they got rid of 2 of them.

This summer, they got more chicks. They didn't think/believe that one was a rooster, & finally EARLY one morning I ended up sending them nasty texts. The rooster is now dead, but the duck is almost as bad.

Besides the noise, the chickens come into my yard regularly & kick mulch all over the place, & dig up my compost! They at my beans before we got any. They are making a huge mess in my yard. The neighbor's yard is a disaster area & I don't think they can even recognize the mess.

I am at my wit's end with these stupid birds. I've been looking all over the internet for how to keep them out, but I'm only finding "put up fencing".

Our relationship with these people have been very fragile, not only because of this but because their 2 children have been bullying my little (adopted) girl. So I would like to resolve it myself instead of petitioning to them AGAIN about another complaint of mine.

Ideas????
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2012, 10:54 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
the only way your going to keep the chickens out is fencing, unfortunatly its that simple...
though its a shame your mulch is so important because chickens do a great job at helping rid the yard of fleas, ticks, sligs, snails, maggots, flies and mosqutoes all the while lightly fertilizing and areating the ground...

HOWEVER id be checking your municiple codes, 1: make a noise complaint, 2: a sanitation complaint...even out here in the middel of nowhere RURAL TN surrounded by farms there are rules about how far a chicken coop has to be from the property line/niehgbors house, 3: when you see them chase them out (a hose pipe works well chickens ont like to get wet.)

Old 11-06-2012, 11:20 PM

4,585 posts, read 12,363,482 times
Free range chickens are also coyote bait and will attract un-wanted preditors.

I had a neighbor who accused all of the neighborhood dogs of eating their chickens It's the 'yote's stupid.

As foxy said check local ordinances, it sounds like you live in a fairly urban environment so I'm sure there is something about livestock.

Old 11-07-2012, 08:55 AM

6,473 posts, read 10,341,133 times
Most cities have ordinances prohibiting barnyard animals within city limits. Check with your local animal control office or zoning department. It is unfortunate that you are living with this situation.

Old 11-07-2012, 03:43 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times

Old 11-07-2012, 06:07 PM

6,473 posts, read 10,341,133 times
That's one solution, I suppose.

Old 11-07-2012, 09:48 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,475,810 times
Find out if your area is zoned for livestock. It likely is not and then you can report them and they will have to get rid of the birds.

Old 11-07-2012, 10:40 PM

1,458 posts, read 4,131,884 times
Thanks for the suggestions.

I really was hoping for a home-remedy because I don't want our relationship to deteriorate any further. I feel like I have maxed out on complaints! I'm pretty sure they are about 6 birds over what is allowed.

Funny, last summer I was very concerned my dog might kill one. That might do the trick.

Old 11-09-2012, 07:53 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
yeah unfortunatly while a 4 ft fence would kepe out all but the bantams/game fowl, its ealy the ONLYopton other than filing a formal complaint.

given the typical rules for suburban chickens it sounds like at minimum thier coop is in a position to be breaking all kinds of codes (too close to your houseand the property lines) and theyll have to move it...

i hate people like your ealing with op, they give all backyard chicken folks a bad name, my mum loves her suburban chicksn and they never once bothered the neighbors because she has a fence around the yard to keep them in...4ft welded wire...(and they clip the wings on 1 little easter egger whos light enough to ump the fnece otherwise) ing clipping just means trimming the feathers so they cant use them for lift and does NoT involve pain, cutting the wing itself, blood ect...

Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Wait till they get some peacocks - then you will REALLY be unhappy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds