U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-28-2019, 09:06 AM

155 posts, read 66,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you. He is doing better, not falling over as much, but he is still very relucatnt to put any weight on that leg.
After a few days, is birdie back to using both legs?

I've had my birds *almost* injure their legs. One took a couple days of pretty much using only one. Then he went back to normal use of both feet. It was obviously jostled.. i won't say how.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2019, 09:09 AM

155 posts, read 66,290 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Budgies do not live long and they are inexpensive. Frankly, I would not be inclined to take a budgie to the vet any more than I would take a sick fish to the vet. At the same time it is not right to leave him in pain if he is suffering endlessly. If he does not heal in a week I would probably just kill him and buy another one. Sad and maybe cruel seeming, but are you really going to go to the vet and spend $1200 on a $12 budgie? Some pets I simply will not spend the money to take them to the vet. Mice, frogs, fish, finches, canaries, budgies, rats, ants, hermit crab, gekko, tarantula. . .

A tarantua may cost a lot more than a budgie, but if she gets sick - no she does not go to the vet. Like in nature, some pets live or die on their own. Sorry.

On the other hand, I can understand how you get so attached, you just cannot let them go. My cockatoo discussed above was fine from the foot injury, but in 2017 he had a prolapsed rectum. We spent $700 for surgery and then he died three days later. After thrity years together, it was devastating. I would have paid $15,000 if it would have kept him alive for what should have been his normal lifespan (another 30 years). .
Very, very happy you said this.

Was on a bird forum. They seemed almost militant about taking birdie to a vet... for every thing. I pretty much explained the natural order of pets, as you did. They did not understand. The loss is theirs..

Had a birdie die on me last week. Laid him by the lake. OF COURSE I was sad. Did not bury. Had a little ceremony. I'll see him again.. in the afterlife. Brings a tear to my eye. That said, I know that all things live once...

Old 10-19-2019, 09:08 PM

2 posts, read 491 times
It's disgusting to tell someone to kill their pet, and it's disgusting to buy a pet and then let them die

Old 10-19-2019, 09:12 PM

2 posts, read 491 times
@Homi It's natural for things to happen to humans too, so based on your logic, hospitals shouldn't exist, and we shouldn't take people to doctors

Old 11-21-2019, 09:38 PM

2 posts, read 454 times
Coldjensens now that’s just cruel

Old 11-21-2019, 10:01 PM

2 posts, read 454 times
Telling people to kill their pets just because they aren’t a fancy 500 dollar cockatoo is like telling poor people to take a swan dive off a building. And you can’t just replace pets like a broken toy

Old 05-21-2020, 02:57 PM

2 posts, read 264 times
Hey. I adopted a 1 month old love bird one day ago and she hasn't been able to stand on her left foot since we got home. She seems to have a lot of pain every time she needs to put her weight on the foot and can't grip or use her claw in anyway. It's maybe a bit swollen but no bruises and looks normal but she clearly is in pain. Her foot was fine before the man caught her I think that's when she got injured because she is wild. Other than that she has eaten and been moving around using her beak and her other foot. I'm worried if it's broken and I need to something about it?!

Old 05-21-2020, 05:56 PM

4,535 posts, read 7,290,778 times
Sounds likely to be a broken leg. If you are willing to, take it to a vet for X-ray and possible splint on the leg to encourage proper healing. Keep the bird in a warm environment but do not overheat it, keep any and all breezes off of him/her. Swelling of a broken limb is a fairly good indication of such an injury.

Old 05-21-2020, 06:29 PM

2 posts, read 264 times
I've booked a time to take her to a vet tomorrow but I'm so worried about catching her again, her cage is huge and every time I get close to it she screams and flies around like crazy. Do you know a good way to catch her without causing her more pain?! By the way is it okay to keep her in a large cage when she is in this situation or should I
be moving her to a smaller one? Thank you!

Old 05-21-2020, 08:45 PM

4,535 posts, read 7,290,778 times
When I need to capture a reluctant bird and I have no net available, a towel works well. I would suggest a smaller cage while the bird is under care, just not too small to move around and/or open its wings.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds