Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2013, 10:25 AM

12,406 posts, read 18,968,335 times

Advertisements

We feed wild birds daily in our driveway. We get a lot of sparrows and pigeons, some squirrels and crows and starlings and cardinals and bluejays and an occasional grackle.

We are on the East Coast and it's what they like to call a wintery mix - snow and rain and cold. I heard the jays yelling for a long time, looked out the window, and saw a hawk in the street trying to fly with a pigeon in it's talons and feathers all over the place.

I ran out and the hawk had to drop the pigeon in order to get away from me. I swear I would have killed that thing if I caught up with it. The pigeon could not fly but scurried under a car.

I chased that damned hawk. It lit in a tree and I ran after it in my slippers in the snow, yelling. The neighbors probably did not know what was going on and thought I'd lost it. After throwing some seed under the car I stayed indoors and near the door.

That damned hawk came back onto the street again.
I chased it away again and it just sat in a nearby tree staring back at me. I was screaming at it again.

I stayed there for about an hour and so did he, staring at each other. Some birds landed and ate.

Finally the rain probably became too much for the hawk as it flew away.

God, do I hate that bird.
Now the neighbors will probably stay away from the kook who was standing in the snow in the middle of the street and looking up at the sky and cussing and shouting. THey must pity my poor husband!

Darn, now they probably think I take drugs or something. Dang!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2013, 11:33 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,786,099 times
Ok, I'm Nuts

Do not let your bird friends know this or they will eat you.

As for your hawk problem:

Costs about $100, but you will find other uses for it I am sure.

Old 02-08-2013, 11:47 AM

568 posts, read 961,966 times
Hawks have to eat too! It is all in nature and the food chain....chill

Old 02-08-2013, 05:13 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,855,538 times
yup $100 for the gun, and $10,000+ in fines and up t 5 yrs in prison if you get caught...
the hawk is doing what hawks do...trying to eat...
how would you like it if a vegitarian came running into a reasutraunt you were having steak at screaming and waving things in your face?!

without hawks keeping the pigeon population down it wouldnt be long before ya no longer liked the pigeons...there nicknamed rats with wings for a reason, they transmit disese and parisites (particularly to other Native song birds...) let the Hawk do his thing...now you likely have dead/dying pigeon AND a hungry hawk, had you let him be the pigeon would have ben killed uickly the hawk would have had his meal and moved on, and you would thave been running round in the yucky weather in your slippers

Old 02-08-2013, 05:32 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
Reps to pooter and foxy. I love and feed songbirds. I also love to see the hawks soaring. Tried to learn hawk identification for a short time. Man is that hard! Yes, they have to eat. And there are many pigeon size birds that will raid birds nests for eggs. Nature isn't always pretty, but it is beautiful. I have to admit my husband and I stood and watched a hawk eating a cardinal just outside our front window one time. That wasn't pretty, either, but the chance to see the bird so close for such a long period of time was awesome. I was sorry for the cardinal, but it is the circle of life. And I'm not a vegetarian, how can I hate an animal for eating another animal?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Ok, I'm Nuts

Do not let your bird friends know this or they will eat you.

As for your hawk problem:

Costs about $100, but you will find other uses for it I am sure.
Yeah, but I live in a congested area and it is next to impossible to get a gun.
Maybe a slingshot and a bunch of marbles would do it.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pooterposh View Post
Hawks have to eat too! It is all in nature and the food chain....chill
That's what my husband first said. I threatened to divorce him. These are OUR birds, dammit. We've been lugging three kinds of seeds and peanuts home from the supermarket for a very long time and we are not fattening them up to attract any bloomin' hawks!

Nature also creates pedophiles and killers and all sorts of malcontents that prey on the rest of us. We don't tolerate that. Pigeons, sparrows, and the like are pretty peaceful birds and seedeaters.

What warned me of that hawk and pigeon was the bluebirds really crying up a storm out there.

Crows even seem to hold hawks in disdain. I have seen, many times, a bunch of crows or even one hounding a hawk out of their area.

Even when the pigeons started circling again to get the remaining seed, the crows knew the hawk was in the trees and called warnings.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
yup $100 for the gun, and $10,000+ in fines and up t 5 yrs in prison if you get caught...
the hawk is doing what hawks do...trying to eat...
how would you like it if a vegitarian came running into a reasutraunt you were having steak at screaming and waving things in your face?!

without hawks keeping the pigeon population down it wouldnt be long before ya no longer liked the pigeons...there nicknamed rats with wings for a reason, they transmit disese and parisites (particularly to other Native song birds...) let the Hawk do his thing...now you likely have dead/dying pigeon AND a hungry hawk, had you let him be the pigeon would have ben killed uickly the hawk would have had his meal and moved on, and you would thave been running round in the yucky weather in your slippers
Yeah. They're rats with wings and we are the disease that is killing the entire planet. We hear of all those cases of human rescue by dolphins. You probably think those humans actually should be dead. It's nature, what some god wants, no? By your analogy a greater power should be preying on us, too. Maybe we deserve it, no?

No. I don't think the pigeon is dead. He was not under the car when it was moved. There was no blood on the concrete, just some feathers.

There are large injustices in the world that we can do nothing about, but there are little things in our lives in which we may be able to help others, including other animal life.

Old 02-09-2013, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by subject2change View Post
Reps to pooter and foxy. I love and feed songbirds. I also love to see the hawks soaring. Tried to learn hawk identification for a short time. Man is that hard! Yes, they have to eat. And there are many pigeon size birds that will raid birds nests for eggs. Nature isn't always pretty, but it is beautiful. I have to admit my husband and I stood and watched a hawk eating a cardinal just outside our front window one time. That wasn't pretty, either, but the chance to see the bird so close for such a long period of time was awesome. I was sorry for the cardinal, but it is the circle of life. And I'm not a vegetarian, how can I hate an animal for eating another animal?
Once it is caught and dead, who cares? But I think we share a common cycle of life. We are a part of that cycle and in my opinion one of our lessons on this planet is compassion. It pulls at your heartstrings for a reason. To move you.

Nature/god thins the human population by wars and disease. Isn't it better that we intervene and just limit our breeding? We are given brains for a reason, no?

Old 02-09-2013, 05:32 PM

7,329 posts, read 16,421,693 times
What if the hawk had babies and they were starving and needed some food? Not deserving of compassion? God made the hawks too. And lions, and other predators.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds