Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2014, 09:48 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times

Advertisements

don't ask, im not agsint clipping wings, im FOR clipping wings, but ive also seen many birds get enough updraft to fly, ive known a number of clipped birds escape because their owners assumed clipped meant flightless...
its not eay to fly clipped but the right updraft anf a clipped bird can gain lift...

my point being was to the poster who was anti clip because of some weird association to leg amputation and not being able to walk, as I pointed out its NOT the same because birds can still get around both using their legs and via wing even if clipped.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-28-2014, 01:05 AM

6,479 posts, read 10,350,022 times
Thanks for your clarification, Foxy.

Old 01-28-2014, 12:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,860,312 times
sorry, unfortunately sometimes my brain goes WHEEEEEE and leaves all sense of clarification behind lol.

Old 02-03-2014, 08:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,013,580 times
I know I already responded, but there is nothing wrong with clipping as long as you keep your bird safe from things that can hurt it. Like other pets! Or small children...

Old 02-03-2014, 10:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beera View Post
I know I already responded, but there is nothing wrong with clipping as long as you keep your bird safe from things that can hurt it. Like other pets! Or small children...
Good point.

Old 05-05-2014, 03:03 PM

3,802 posts, read 2,997,866 times
Not anymore, 2 cockatiels and 2 lorikeets, unfortunately don't get them out of the cage enough now.
The lorikeets, Scaly Breasted and X Rainbow, are very hard to keep tame anyway.
One cockatiel will fly around and land back on your shoulder, the other won;t.
Strange the lorikeets are very social together, but the cockatiels have nothing to do with each other.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:30 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,807,721 times
We have a sun conure - no wing clipping.
I feel it's healthier for the bird. He flies from one of us to the other greeting his flock.
He was clipped when we got him, but we never clipped him again. I always put him away (or in the portable cage) when any cooking or cleaning is going on (he hates the windex bottle-but that's another story), and close all the toilets.
He's a very bratty spoiled little bird, but very happy flying all over the place.

Old 07-30-2014, 01:37 PM

Nothing wrong if you don't clip. We all are entitled to our own opinion.

Old 05-29-2015, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 834 times
I have a beautiful 4 year old Blue and Gold Macaw. I have always had her wings clipped since she I weaned her. I procrastinated and her wings grew out. She got out an open door and was out with no food or water for 6 days. Thankfully I kept track of which trees she was flying to. Thankfully we were able to coax her down low enough that we could retrieve her.

In the wild flight is "natural", but when we domesticate these creatures as our pets and family members it is no longer natural. The safety of these creatures is the most important thing. No matter how careful you are accidents can occur. My Zoey was petrified outside. She didn't really know what flight was. She only took flight when she got spooked.
These domesticated birds do not know how to hunt for food or survive on their own. There are natural predator that birds who accidently get out often fall prey to. I would much rather have my babies wings clipped than have her become prey or starve. She endured a nasty thunder storm while she was out, and I was thankful yet surprised that she survived.

Zoey walks all around my house and is quite happy and content with her wings clipped. Outside however, she was traumatized by her "flight" experience. I am so grateful that we were fortunate enough to get Zoey home safe and sound after our mistake. Everyone is not so lucky. My birds wings will always be clipped.

Old 06-01-2015, 10:00 AM

7,275 posts, read 5,285,135 times
I have a Cockatiel, Lovebird, and Sun Conure. I keep all of them clipped.

As others have mentioned, I notice when I let their wings grow and they start to fly, they are more aggressive. Also, each time they start to fly before their next clipping, they all get a bit more jumpy and fly scared more frequently. Plus, I just refuse to be one of those "stories" where my bird flies out of the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds