Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2013, 03:06 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times

Advertisements

I don't know why anyone would feel it is cruel--if the birds are clipped correctly they just glide to the floor, but they can't fly up, and all of the avian vets we have used recommend clipping them precisely to avoid accidents. Before I had birds, my friend had a lovebird and got him clipped and I was upset. But after having birds of my own, I totally understood why they are clipped for their own safety. The other myth is that keeping birds in cages is cruel. Our birds love their cages. I have a lovebird who makes me put him to bed in his cage every night. He stands on his cage and screams until I put him in his cage and close the door. They feel very secure in their cages--probably way more than birds who sleep outside in trees and have to worry about predators. We actually had a budgie who came to our door-- he walked through our open garage to the inside door and just stood there until I went to do laundry and saw him. We had him for 12 years and this is one bird who only wanted to come in and live in a cage--it's a dangerous world outside for small birds!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2013, 03:12 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I don't have any b irds right now, but have raised many in my life. I have clipped all of their wings for safety reasons. Usually once they are clipped and try to fly they figure out pretty quickly that they can't and don't make a big effort to try to do so. Just this summer alone I have seen 5 different ads in the paper for people who have had their bird fly out the front door and they lost them. I live in a place where right now it is in the 30's at night and will snow soon, so if these birds are not found they will not survive. There are just too many things that can happen to them so I always clip their wings.

Old 10-31-2013, 12:40 PM

1 posts, read 3,273 times
I have a cockatiel and we clipped her wings. I was worried about her getting loose and hurt. I know some people may think it's cruel, but I think it's so important to keep the bird safe as stated here: http://www.vcahospitals.com/main/pet...g-clipping/939

Old 11-03-2013, 08:10 PM

2,845 posts, read 6,012,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slithytoves View Post
My Senegal landed on a hot burner the first week he could fly. Luckily he barely touched down before the pain made him fly off, so he healed quickly. My vet said he's heard of birds going up in flames and has had to euthanize birds whose feet melted to the burner. I knew this before I got my Senegal and had a burner cover to prevent this, but I bumped the cover with a pot and my bird saw the orange glow and wanted to check it out. Awful. I felt like the worst pet owner ever.

I also know of a toddler who flushed her brother's budgie down the toilet. *shiver*. Enough of this.

My Senegal has adapted to his clip, and I've decided to keep clipping. He is easier to handle and I have seen positive changes in his temperament. I'll just have to keep an eye on his weight.

I was on a parrot owner forum that condemned people for clipping and it made me feel guilty, but my bird seems very happy clipped and it sure keeps him out of trouble.
This is why birds should be put away when you are cooking. My birds are not allowed out when I'm in the kitchen cooking. They are put in their cage until after food has been eaten. And when food is brought out they are given something to eat so they feel part of the flock. If it's not something they can safely consume (usually try to give them something from the meal) I just give them some of their treats.

And kids should not be around birds unsupervised. Also birds cages should be out of the way of small children so they can't be reached. My friends poor Quaker was attacked by her niece's terrible kid. He hit the bird with a screwdriver and broke it's leg. Luckily my friend ran downstairs the second she heard her bird scream and stopped the kid (the bird was in it's cage). Funny how the parents were upset with HER for yelling at their kid... The poor bird was okay in the end but she had to tell her niece she could not bring her son over anymore if he was going to hurt her pets.

Old 11-04-2013, 10:51 AM

11,495 posts, read 26,868,439 times
My birds' wings are not clipped. They really don't like to come out of the cage (I can leave the cage open all day and they will never come out).

Old 11-04-2013, 11:29 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hedgehog_Mom View Post
My birds' wings are not clipped. They really don't like to come out of the cage (I can leave the cage open all day and they will never come out).
Nothing wrong with that.

We can have different opinions on the matter but nobody is "right" or "wrong" in the debate. All comes down to personal preference.

Old 11-09-2013, 01:00 AM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
My opinion is that birds evolved with wings for a reason. Humans evolved to walk on two legs for a reason. I am thankful that no one has cut my legs so that I can't walk. I would never cut the wings of a bird so they can't fly. I once owned an Amazon and never once dreamed of cutting his wings. I created a safe environment for him to fly around my house. Stands in every room. Allowed him all experience all surfaces and objects. He was never hurt nor in danger...and boy did he love to fly.

Old 11-09-2013, 07:36 AM

6,474 posts, read 10,343,886 times
TVC15,

The only problem with your analogy of bird wings and your legs is that a bird will grow it's features back. Poor comparison. A more fair comparison is your toenails which will grow back when cut back. I am not disagreeing that you should or not clip your bird's wings. It is not cruel to do so in my opinion, it is personal preference/decision.

Old 11-09-2013, 02:57 PM

Location: Central Bay Area, CA as of Jan 2010...but still a proud Texan from Houston!
7,484 posts, read 10,446,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dontaskwhy View Post
TVC15,

The only problem with your analogy of bird wings and your legs is that a bird will grow it's features back. Poor comparison. A more fair comparison is your toenails which will grow back when cut back. I am not disagreeing that you should or not clip your bird's wings. It is not cruel to do so in my opinion, it is personal preference/decision.
Poor comparison my foot...no pun intended!

Birds have wings for the purpose of flying. We have legs for the purpose of walking and running. Wings are a birds primary means of mobility. A bird in the wild with a broken wing will not survive. It is absolutely wrong to take away a birds natural ability to fly. It does not matter that their wings can grow back. If our legs are damaged we resort to artificial limbs, wheel chairs and crutches. There is nothing a bird can do to regain it's ability to fly until it's flight feathers grow back...only to be clipped again by the owner.

Nice article about birds and their feathers: http://www.raptorresearchfoundation..../feather-facts

Last edited by TVC15; 11-09-2013 at 03:10 PM..

Old 11-09-2013, 03:25 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,257,063 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TVC15 View Post
Poor comparison my foot...no pun intended!

Birds have wings for the purpose of flying. We have legs for the purpose of walking and running. Wings are a birds primary means of mobility. A bird in the wild with a broken wing will not survive. It is absolutely wrong to take away a birds natural ability to fly. It does not matter that their wings can grow back. If our legs are damaged we resort to artificial limbs, wheel chairs and crutches. There is nothing a bird can do to regain it's ability to fly until it's flight feathers grow back...only to be clipped again by the owner.

Nice article about birds and their feathers: Feather Facts
Ok, so birds have wings for the purpose of flying---outside. Following that logic, it is absolutely wrong to keep birds in a cage or house, as it is not "natural."

Frankly, I'll go with the avian vets on this one--I don't care how safe one's house is. Unless you are letting your bird fly around outside, the house is not a natural habitat.

I don't think anyone can say wing clipping in regard to birds kept in a house is "absolutely wrong."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds