Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-26-2015, 10:46 PM

50,765 posts, read 24,261,465 times

Advertisements

I expect to move from Colorado to Arizona in the fall. So I have 2 questions:

1. What documentation will I need about bird health, etc. to travel through Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona.

2. Any suggestions on making it a good trip for the bird. It will take at least 2 eight hour days of driving, and perhaps another morning.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-27-2015, 12:38 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
I expect to move from Colorado to Arizona in the fall. So I have 2 questions:

1. What documentation will I need about bird health, etc. to travel through Colorado, New Mexico, and Arizona.

2. Any suggestions on making it a good trip for the bird. It will take at least 2 eight hour days of driving, and perhaps another morning.

Thanks!
Nobody cares about your birds, okay! It's not a tiger or a wolf. It's a common pet bird.

Just stay at a national chain hotels on the way, like Motel 6 or Super 8 where you can get into our hotel room from the parking lot without having to talk through the lobby to get there. That way, you can bring your bird into the hotel and no one has to know about it. Fancier hotels may prohibit pets and stuff.

Once you're in your hotel room, let your bird fly loose.

Old 06-27-2015, 12:43 PM

Oh, my source (unlike some other posters who might chime in later) is PERSONAL experience, traveling with multiple birds, across many different states.

Old 06-27-2015, 01:44 PM

You're wrong on several counts.

First, there are states where your bird(s) are subject to confiscation and destruction without the proper paperwork. Just because you were lucky doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Second, breaking the rules of a hotel when there are plenty of pet friendly hotels is rude, to the say the least.

Old 06-27-2015, 02:35 PM

Quote:
You're wrong on several counts.

First, there are states where your bird(s) are subject to confiscation and destruction without the proper paperwork. Just because you were lucky doesn't mean it doesn't happen.

Second, breaking the rules of a hotel when there are plenty of pet friendly hotels is rude, to the say the least.
Ok, whatever. You sound like an idiot.

Go spend your time and money to get the paperwork, shots, permission from hotels, etc.

Old 06-28-2015, 02:31 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,469,825 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Ok, whatever. You sound like an idiot.

Go spend your time and money to get the paperwork, shots, permission from hotels, etc.

Oh a personal attack from the Quack, how interesting

Old 06-28-2015, 06:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
Oh a personal attack from the Quack, how interesting
Ha ha, I know, right!!

I am such a nice person, you would have to be "special" in order for me to engage in such wording with you.

Old 06-28-2015, 12:30 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
most states will only require veterinary health certificate.
however best to check with each state you will be traveling through to ensure the bird species in question is not banned int hat state also (for example many state Quakers/monks parakeets are illegal)
youd want to check with the department of agriculture to be sure, but usually a health certificate is enough.

in terms of traveling with your bird...
1: a secure but not oversized travel cage, given the distance and time traveling it realy needs to be large enough for im to move stretch his wings, and turn around in comfortably.
when I moved my Severe macaw from CT to TN I used a 24" metal dog crate, a couple of bolt in perches and bowls and a blanket over the top made a nice traveling home for him, secure incase of emergencies, not something he could chew out of and well ventilated.
keeping the transport cage on the dark side helps with stress if the bird isn't used to traveling long distances...
Id also look into a herbal product called Bachs Rescue remedy, a few drops in the waer bowl helps as a natural gentle calmant that's perfectly bird safe and wont drug him.

2: pre-plan your trip, never "sneak" an animal of any kind into none pet friendly accommodation, especially one that can scream...lol
theres many pet friendly chains with hundereds of locations that will happily take in you and your conure for the night. (I stopped at motel 6 on my move, with 2 dogs, 2 cats and 3 birds lol) never any issues.
by preplanning your route your not worrying when getting tired about finding a safe place to spend the night.

the preplanning also goes for rest stops, cars get hot...quickly and a stressed overheated bird quickly becomes a dead bird.
you can get crate fans that clip onto the crate, this is a great idea, as is always parking in the shade, but plan those stops, you don't want to get out and sit in a resturaunt for an hour while your bird is alone in the car....places with curb side or drive through services are always a good choice

3: do NOT be tempted to "let him out to stretch his wings" unless you are secure in the motel room with the doors LOCKED....even the best behaved animal can freek out in new situations and you would never forgive yourself if he got out at a rest stop...if its hot in the car and your taking a break feel free to open windows doors, the trunk or even put his crate out at the picnic area with you, but don't let him out of it.
(seems common sense...but youd be surprised)

4: BOTTLED WATER...seems silly but birds are sensitive to change, especially chemicals in water, bring bottled water or bottle up water from home for the trip and a few days after arrival at the destination....if its a permanent move ean him onto the new local water gently, if your just going on a road trip/vacation id stick to bottled.

good luck on your trip and so glad your bird gets to share it with you

Old 06-28-2015, 09:27 PM

Thank you Foxywench for the good info and the nice tone!

Old 06-29-2015, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Thank you!
You're welcome.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds