Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-20-2013, 06:42 PM

698 posts, read 2,841,370 times

Advertisements

Sorry in advance if this topic has been dealt with. We've been away from the forums awhile.

Yesterday I spotted a beautiful yellow budgie in our wooded backyard. It seems obvious it's someone's pet who escaped.

We saw it again today, foraging in the grass. It seems healthy and not afraid of us, but also not coming to us.

We're in the Upstate of SC. Is this pet bird going to be able to survive here in the wild, getting enough food and dealing with the cold? Will it migrate?

We have a bird feeder but it's not interested in the sunflowers. A quick look online said these birds eat grains such as oatmeal, corn, and greens.

Any info you can offer is appreciated. I have no idea how to catch a budgie but would be willing to try taking it to the humane society if we could.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2013, 07:57 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,671,533 times
Do you want to try and catch it? If you have access to a bird cage, get a stalk of Millet. They LOVE millet. The bird may not care about the cage aspect if there is Millet inside and it is accoustom to a cage anyway.
Now, getting the door closed or at least securing the bird inside. Maybe you will be able to get close enough while its eating to close the cage, if not, could approach from the side that the has the door and throw a blanket over it, then reach under and close the door.

Old 09-21-2013, 08:24 AM

23,866 posts, read 24,105,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Now, getting the door closed or at least securing the bird inside. Maybe you will be able to get close enough while its eating to close the cage, if not, could approach from the side that the has the door and throw a blanket over it, then reach under and close the door.
Or bend a paper clip into a "C" shape and use it to prop the door open. Tie a piece of fishing line or string to it and when the bird is inside, pull the string.

Old 09-21-2013, 10:52 AM

Thanks for replying. I haven't seen the little sweetie today. Hope he's ok. We have several stray cats in this neighborhood a couple of whom have been observed bird-napping our wild birds even though someone around here feeds them. Poor budgie is very vulnerable as he forages on the ground seemingly oblivious to any dangers.

I'm keeping an eye out.

Old 09-23-2013, 01:09 AM

16,488 posts, read 24,476,977 times
I hope that you find and catch him and he is ok.

Old 10-08-2013, 01:30 PM

Thank you. No sign of him (or her?) since. My next door neighbor saw it too for the same two days I did. She said he sat on her fence a long time enjoying being admired. Not sure I would have been able to catch him but would try if he stayed around long enough.

Hope he's safe.

Old 10-08-2013, 11:08 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,470,532 times
No idea where you are located but a Coopers or Sharpshined Hawk might have got it. Bright colored non-native birds usually don't last long.

Old 10-30-2013, 09:45 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,490,590 times
I had the same thing happen to me two years ago, one morning a bright blue budgerigar was in my front yard and we are in far northern California and have hawks around. He was there the second and third day still and on the third day I took one of my rabbit cages and took the bottom off, propped it up with a stick, put some cockatiel seed inside with a string attached to the stick that lead all the way into the house, when the parakeet landed and starting eating seed, I pulled the string. But the first time I pulled too hard and flipped the cage, the second time I caught the bird, but missed the four inch hole in the side of the cage for a feeder. I repaired the hole and started over and caught the parakeet on the third try and still have him with 12 other parakeets I adopted off of Craigs list for his company all in an enclosed 50 square foot aviary with 8 foot height on my front porch. I also have two parrots and 9 cockatiels, but before that blue parakeet, only had one parrot and one cockatiel that is now hitting 21 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds