U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 PM

1 posts, read 3,469 times

Advertisements

i have a normal gray that i have had for 1 1/2 years now. he loves his whistles and making noise.. I figured i would get him a friend.. as i am not very smart when it comes to this... i have been reading anything i can find on breeding and just cockatiels in general... But my Q is my little guy and his new girl dont seem to like one another sometimes she is ok and other times he is ok... they nip at eachother when they get to close but then at times they get close and my guy starts whistleing and singing to her.. but for the most part they keep their distence from each other.. please help any one....
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2007, 09:54 PM

3,099 posts, read 2,327,511 times
sounds normal to me.

Old 11-21-2007, 09:59 AM

1,310 posts, read 6,292,666 times
ya, give it some time. I am not a big fan of getting two of the same breed due to I like being able to bond with them better with me. I have a cockatiel and a parakeet and they have their own cage and keep each other company thought my parakeet tortures the cockatiel when ever she has an opportunity.

If you have an extra cage, I'd say have them have their own space and get to know each other better that way, but I could be wrong. Remember, birds like their space so the new addition might be an adjustment.

Old 11-21-2007, 11:14 PM

8,204 posts, read 33,776,255 times
Are they in the same cage, Chellepop?

I have 2 birds - different species (African Grey and Conure) - and I house them in separate cages right next to each other. This is usually preferable unless they are introduced together as babies or are breeders/will breed.

Is your plan for them to breed?

Old 11-23-2007, 08:27 AM

6,023 posts, read 12,915,777 times
I have a yellow sided green cheeked conure and a blue ring neck parakeet and one will kill the other if they contact each other. They just seem to hate each other. The ring neck has serious anger issues. I also long ago had a Patagonian conure in a large parrot cage. I told a housemate not to let his little half moon conure out unsupervised and he did. The small bird went into the big birds cage and the mean old guy ate the half moon up entirely. I am not joking, while we were at work it completely devoured the poor little thing. There was nothing but a couple of pieces of bone and feathers left and some blood.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds