Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 AM

5,035 posts, read 9,220,653 times

Advertisements

Our decades old toaster oven finally bit the dust. I've been searching for a replacement, but everything these days seems to have some type of non-stick coating on the interior - which is a BIG no-no for a house with birds.

Can anyone, (particularly pet bird owners), recommend a counter-top toaster oven that isn't coated, which you have used safely in the house? Optimally I would like a toaster oven/convection unit with a broil feature, but I realize I may have to be flexible in order to keep it bird-safe.

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2012, 11:44 AM

19,855 posts, read 65,807,637 times
SOunds like one of those toaster ovens with a door is what you need (I think). Not sure what the problem is exactly.

Commendations for thinking of your birds' safety!

Old 04-07-2012, 12:41 PM

I think all toaster ovens have a door, unless it broke off.

Joking aside, the door isn't the issue. A house with birds should NEVER EVER use anything that gets very hot which has a non-stick interior. (To be safe, we don't even own non-stick cookware.) The non-stick coating emits PTFE's when heated, which is toxic to birds since they have immature respiratory systems. (It's probably not terribly healthy for humans either, but I'm not getting into that.) It's not a cumulative toxin, where decades go by and a necropsy would show it's effects. A bird could keel over and die immediately if inhaled.

In fact, many people are under the misconception that birds don't live long lives. The sad fact is that many bird owners killed their little friends and didn't even know it.This is particularly true of parakeet and cockatiel owners, who think they make a cute pet but do little to no research on their needs first.

Back to the topic... The old toaster oven we had that just crapped out had what appears to be a stainless steel or tin interior, with no coating. I need something with a similar interior to replace it and haven't had luck finding one at any price.

Old 04-07-2012, 05:54 PM

Ah, I really didn't understand the issue. Thanks for the clarification.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Realtors are welcome here but do see our Realtor Advice to avoid infractions.

Old 04-07-2012, 06:50 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
I believe [URL="http://www.waringpro.com/catalog.php?pcID=142_160"]Waring makes them[/URL].

Old 04-07-2012, 11:40 PM

Thanks, SouthernBelle. I appreciate you trying to help.

Thank you for the link, Yzette. I don't recall if I saw any Waring when I was out looking, but I gladly followed your link. The online manuals do not indicate what the interiors are made of, so I will call them Monday.

I'll let you know what I find out.

Old 04-09-2012, 09:31 PM

I called Waring. The customer service rep was a bit short with me, but did say the interiors of their toaster ovens are uncoated stainless steel.

I surfed around a bit and found the model I like best. On Home Depot's website, under product specifications, it specifically states there is a non-stick interior. I was going to call Waring back and verify that this particular model does indeed have an uncoated interior, (maybe it was an entry error by the HD webpeople), but since she was so short with me I decided to order it anyway, take a look at it, and then call Waring back if I still had a question.

This is the one I ordered. I'm trying not to get too excited until I am 100% positive it is only stainless steel.

Thanks again for the info, Yzette!

Old 04-09-2012, 09:40 PM

8,679 posts, read 15,264,809 times
You're very welcome, CheyDee! I've seen that brand mentioned on bird forums when others have asked. I don't have a toaster oven, myself.

Old 04-12-2012, 06:52 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,920,640 times
Is their a reason the OP cannot simply use her regular oven to toast bread/broil ?

Old 04-12-2012, 09:46 AM

She could, but I think it would take waaay longer and not give as even a result.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds