Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-19-2014, 09:50 AM

3,978 posts, read 4,548,343 times

Advertisements

Loros en cautividad-Loros mascotas. - YouTube
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2014, 11:09 AM

It didn't surprise me that much that he was able to do this with the larger parrots and love birds, what surprise me was the he was able to do this with a bunch of cockatiels.

Old 01-21-2014, 09:44 AM

Anyone knows of anyone who's doing this?

Old 01-21-2014, 12:40 PM

3,751 posts, read 7,639,412 times
Doing what? The feasibility of having an aviary? A breeding program?
My Spanish is quite rusty so I am not sure exactly what you are targeting.

If you are wondering about breeding, please don't. There are thousands of pet birds that are in need of homes. Foster Parrots has to turn away birds because they are beyond capacity. Many of the people who began breeding when the ban on importing wild birds went into effect have gone into rescue and stopped breeding.

If you are looking at rescue, awesome! It is highly needed. But feasibility in that...rescues survive on donations and they struggle with it.

It's unfortunate. I love birds and would have a rescue myself if I could, but I do what I can to help.

Old 01-21-2014, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Doing what? The feasibility of having an aviary? A breeding program?
My Spanish is quite rusty so I am not sure exactly what you are targeting.
Did you even watch the video clip before commenting?

Don't you see anything extraordinary and unusual about these pet birds?

Old 01-21-2014, 04:31 PM

9,930 posts, read 15,507,423 times
Don't lorries have a special diet where they ingest liquids? I don't speak Spanish.

Old 01-21-2014, 05:16 PM

For some of you who don't know what this video is about, just go to 9:00 for a minute and then go to 20:00.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:52 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,460,600 times
I would say it would be feasible if you are wealthy and own a large tract of land away from population. Anyone doing this is going to experience a loss to his/her flock. People with alot of money do things most of us would not.
I would not.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:01 AM

I don't think the backyard in the video is away from population. It's just a regular backyard in some suburb.

Old 01-22-2014, 02:21 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,786,881 times
freeflying birds IS possible, but should you...
NO...
why?
1: predators...now if you live in a magical country with NO birds larger than a sparrow...your fine...but parrots WILL fall prey eventually to hawks, kestrels, falcons, owls, eagles, neighborhood dogs and cats, cars, people...ect.
2: laws...most countries have laws prhobiting freeflight of parrots because many species while not native can survive in the local climate, it only takes 1 pair to decide to not come home and you've got a potentially very serious problem..this is why quakers (monk parakeets) are ILLEGAL to own in much of the USA, a few stray quakers began nesting and theres huge very destructive colonies all over the usa now...
3: defence of your flock...parrots are not naturally immune to many of the yuckies local wildlife carry around, it would only take 1 contact of a local birds poop with a parasite or avian illness and your parrot could be a gonner...and with a large flock like that, bringing an illness home...it would devastate an aviary...

while it sure as heck looks fun and cool...the logistics behind it are incredibly difficult to manage

we had a customer who had a lovebird....the 2 were increodbly bonded and the birds wings were clipped he took that little guy everywhere for YEARS with no isues...then one day something spooked the little guy he got enough of an updraft to get his wings (even clipped birds can fly) got himself into a nearby tree where a local cat got him...he was dead within seconds of his feet hitting the branch...his human was heartbroken and the entire situation could have been avoided...

and thos situations happen all too often, working at a vets clinic we had many pet birds come in after dog/cat attacks, a few come in that had been found after flying the coop and being gone for a few days that were underweight and badly dehydrated and exhausted...couple macaws that had been hit by cars, an African grey whod been grabbed off the back deck by a hawk...

NOT worth it.

as a side note the video is in Spanish, im sure while some speak Spanish many don't...if you want a specific question answered how about "it it feesable to allow pet parrots to fly freely like in this video?" or something a little more clear
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds