U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 03:39 PM
Status: "It's not what they call you; it's what you answer to." (set 23 days ago)

25,145 posts, read 25,752,097 times

Advertisements

Apparently hens are legal here but not roosters. So if I'm going to be at all discreet about this, he's just going to have to be celibate. I can't have a bunch of chickens running around without having people notice. Probably the best thing for him is for me to catch him. He appears to be fairly tame. Maybe I could continue feeding him for a few days until he becomes even more so and then try to go about catching him. I haven't seen him fly at all. He hasn't even left the ground. He doesn't seem to be hurt or anything, but when I approach him, he'll turn and walk the other direction, but he doesn't even seem to be in much of a hurry to get away from me. He actually got so close to me once that I thought he might get close enough to eat the food that was right at my feet. He didn't, though. Thanks for the advice!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 03:52 PM

10,942 posts, read 9,491,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thank you! Thank you! This information has been so helpful!

Just one more question... There is really no place where we could build "up" and still be out of the rain. There is a window well about 18 inches deep right by where he's been hanging out. Would he possibly decide to use it, or would "down" not be an option he'd go for?

Most of my neighbors are animal lovers, so I may just try to keep him around. One thing, though... would he get lonesome for female "companionship" being all alone?

I just talked to my husband on the phone. He's been at an appointment and just called to let me know that he was on his way home. I told him he needed to hurry, so that I could show him my new pet. There was the longest silence on the other end.
I don't know how much of a commitment you want to make with this guy, but there are lots of "mini-coops" on the market nowadays that are suitable for just a few chickens:. You can google "chicken coops" and get all sorts of ideas (I was going to post a couple of links, but my computer and/or internet isn't cooperating at the moment - sorry).

If you don't want to make that kind of monetary investment, and you and/or your husband are handy, you can also pull up plans to make your own.

As far as loneliness......yeah, if it were me, I'd get him company. It's my opinion that most (all?) animals aren't particularly happy in solitary situations. And, yes, a hen.....two roosters would almost certainly fight.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:00 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,858,350 times
PETA can help you find a no-kill home for him if it comes to that. Also, you could try Karen at United Poultry Concerns--upc-online.org.

Old 02-27-2014, 04:29 PM
Status: "It's not what they call you; it's what you answer to." (set 23 days ago)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
I don't know how much of a commitment you want to make with this guy, but there are lots of "mini-coops" on the market nowadays that are suitable for just a few chickens:. You can google "chicken coops" and get all sorts of ideas (I was going to post a couple of links, but my computer and/or internet isn't cooperating at the moment - sorry).

If you don't want to make that kind of monetary investment, and you and/or your husband are handy, you can also pull up plans to make your own.

As far as loneliness......yeah, if it were me, I'd get him company. It's my opinion that most (all?) animals aren't particularly happy in solitary situations. And, yes, a hen.....two roosters would almost certainly fight.
I got in touch with my former vet, who is also a good friend (but retired as a vet). She suggested that I contact "Wheeler Farm" which is in my area (even though their website says, "We are not an animal sanctuary." That would be a perfect place for him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
PETA can help you find a no-kill home for him if it comes to that. Also, you could try Karen at United Poultry Concerns--upc-online.org.
Typically, PETA's a little extreme for me, but that's definitely an idea I'd consider. I don't want this guy hurt!

Update: He's disappeared after having hung arond for nearly three hours. I left some food out for him, though, and am hoping he'll return later tonight. If he's around tomorrow, I'll contact Wheeler Farm and see about catching him in my no-kill trap.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:00 PM

Okay, well I already said I'm not a farm girl. That is clearly a fact. My husband came home and my rooster was back in the garage. Only thing is that he clearly has more of a farming background than I do and told me that my rooter's actually a hen. I'll say one thing for her... She's big! She seems to have found herself a comfortable place to settle in and I put a couple of kinds of food down for her. My husband is fine with me keeping her, so I probably will until I can find a place for her where I'll be sure she'll be cared for and not eaten. I'm naming her Mabel, and I intend to keep her safe until I can find her a better, more permanent home.

Old 02-27-2014, 06:21 PM

About the mirror suggestion I got on as a rep comment... Thank you! Great idea!

Old 02-27-2014, 06:30 PM

10,942 posts, read 9,491,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, well I already said I'm not a farm girl. That is clearly a fact. My husband came home and my rooster was back in the garage. Only thing is that he clearly has more of a farming background than I do and told me that my rooter's actually a hen. I'll say one thing for her... She's big! She seems to have found herself a comfortable place to settle in and I put a couple of kinds of food down for her. My husband is fine with me keeping her, so I probably will until I can find a place for her where I'll be sure she'll be cared for and not eaten. I'm naming her Mabel, and I intend to keep her safe until I can find her a better, more permanent home.
lol

Well, hens are much quieter than roosters if you decide to keep her! A lot less likely to offend your neighbors.

It is entirely possibly she will reward you for your kindness and generosity with a nice fresh egg tomorrow.

It should also be easier to find her a home where she won't be eaten, too; I didn't want to say anything before, but roosters are kind of a dime a dozen and most people with chickens either eat the extra roosters themselves or give them to people who will butcher them and eat them. There are a couple of small animal auctions around here and roosters rarely sell for more than 50 cents each (unless they are some fancy-type breed), whereas a nice laying hen will bring a fair amount (I've seen them sell for anywhere from $5.00 to $20.00, depending on a number of factors). Goes to show - females are more valuable than males. lol

I think you should keep her (if your neighbors don't mind).

Old 02-27-2014, 09:06 PM

3,751 posts, read 6,979,201 times
I have chickens and have a few friends who have a single hen as a house pet. The hen has its own 'room' - a closet or area in the garage. Chickens are a lot smarter than what you might think. They can learn to use doggie doors and more.
One of our hens is extremely social. She loves to be cuddled. She will get herself into your shoulder and settle in for a nap. Someplace I have a picture of her in my arms and she's resting her head on my shoulder.
So, a pet chicken? In the house?...there are a significant number of people with house chickens that there are several sources to get chicken diapers.
However, a healthy chicken's dropping is very easy cleaning and is less of a gross mess than dog or cat poo.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
I have chickens and have a few friends who have a single hen as a house pet. The hen has its own 'room' - a closet or area in the garage. Chickens are a lot smarter than what you might think. They can learn to use doggie doors and more.
One of our hens is extremely social. She loves to be cuddled. She will get herself into your shoulder and settle in for a nap. Someplace I have a picture of her in my arms and she's resting her head on my shoulder.
So, a pet chicken? In the house?...there are a significant number of people with house chickens that there are several sources to get chicken diapers.
However, a healthy chicken's dropping is very easy cleaning and is less of a gross mess than dog or cat poo.
Hello, Owl! Nice to see you again. It's funny that I rarely even take a peek into the Paganism forum and can't recall ever having visited the bird forum before. And yet here you are again.

Mabel has found a place to spend the night in our garage. We left the door that goes from the garage into the backyard open tonight so that she wouldn't feel trapped if she wanted to leave the garage. But the funny thing is, neither of us can figure out how she got in there in the first place. Oddly enough, we do have a good size doggie door in the door we left open tonight. I'm wondering if she might possibly have gotten into the garage in the first place through the doggie door! (We had to put out last dog to sleep in October, so we have no dogs right now.) Now, what's really going to be interesting is this: We have another doggie door going from the garage directly into the house. I wonder if I'm going to wake up tomorrow morning to find a hen in bed with me!

I still feel like I ought to at least try to figure out where she came from, but I'm not sure how to go about doing so. If she's someone's pet, they're probably pretty worried about her, and I wouldn't want to keep her if someone was looking for her. I would just love a cuddling hen, though. That sounds like a lot of fun. I basically just want to do what's best for her.

Old 02-27-2014, 09:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
It is entirely possibly she will reward you for your kindness and generosity with a nice fresh egg tomorrow.
You can't be serious!

Quote:
I think you should keep her (if your neighbors don't mind).
If she'd be happy here, I'd be happy to have her. We do have a very old cat who would seriously be scared out of her wits by a chicken the size of Mabel. I saw her running for her life from a very disinterested squirrel a couple of years back. I think for right now, I'm just going to take it a day at a time.

What do I do for a bed, though? I really don't want to invest a ton of money on a hen I may have for only a few days, but I want her to be comfortable as long as I do have her.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds