U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2014, 05:22 PM

24,966 posts, read 25,640,410 times

Advertisements

News Flash! Mabel went AWOL for about 24 hours, and I'd given up on ever seeing her again. Matt and I just got back home from going out to dinner, though, and guess who was waiting for us when we got here? I guess Mabel wasn't able to find her way home, but she did find her way back to our place. She is now locked in my garage with some food and water, and is perched where she spent the night two nights ago. I called Johanna and she's going to come over and take Mabel home to her house where she'll have a lot of other chickens for company. I never thought anyone in my area had chickens. I'm still trying to get my head around that! Anyway, all's well that ends well, and I'm happy to report that Mabel has found, if not her old home, well then at least a new home where know she won't end up as soup stock!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2014, 06:13 PM

Johanna just stopped by to pick up Mabel and Mabel was gone. We'd locked her in the garage. Absolutely the only way that chicken could have gotten out was through the doggie door! Nobody is ever going to be able to convince me again that chickens are stupid. Mabel is clearly smarter than Matt and me put together.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:18 AM

6,591 posts, read 23,362,239 times
chickens easily learn to use doggy doors
but don't worry she now knows where food and kind people are now :P
shell be back

Old 03-02-2014, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
chickens easily learn to use doggy doors
but don't worry she now knows where food and kind people are now :P
shell be back
She's back!!!!! (And thank you for the compliment.)

This time the doggie door is baracaded shut. Johanna is at some kind of a family function this afternoon, but I'm going to give her a call this evening, just before it gets dark. No more "final updates" until Mabel is safe with her new family. That chicken is just too smart for her own good.

Old 03-02-2014, 11:29 PM

Good news! Mabel is safe and sound in her new home! Thanks to all of you for your support and encouragement as I tried to find her a nice place to relocate.

Old 03-03-2014, 12:30 AM

3,751 posts, read 6,957,738 times
Being a Rhode Island Red, explains why she is so big.
So now that you have had a chicken experience, are you going to get you a pair?
Here are the reds
Rhode Island Red from My Pet Chicken
This is what Isis, our house chicken is: Easter Egger Bantam from My Pet Chicken
These are the best for egg production (beautiful birds and friendly): Australorp from My Pet Chicken
We have all these three and then two 'misfits'. A Brahma and an unknown that someone had left at a vacant house and a co-worker caught it, so we took her in. I think she is some sort of Asian breed.

and Isis, kickin' it with the kid.

Old 03-03-2014, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OwlKaMyst View Post
Being a Rhode Island Red, explains why she is so big.
So now that you have had a chicken experience, are you going to get you a pair?
Here are the reds
Rhode Island Red from My Pet Chicken
This is what Isis, our house chicken is: Easter Egger Bantam from My Pet Chicken
These are the best for egg production (beautiful birds and friendly): Australorp from My Pet Chicken
We have all these three and then two 'misfits'. A Brahma and an unknown that someone had left at a vacant house and a co-worker caught it, so we took her in. I think she is some sort of Asian breed.

and Isis, kickin' it with the kid.
Now most people I know would call "the kid" by name and not the chicken! It would be "Susie and the hen" not "Isis and the kid." Both are charming!

It was a fun experience, and maybe at some point, it would be fun to get two or three. No plans for the immediate futuer, though. I think I'd stick to the Rhode Island Reds, though. I loved reading what people had to say about their chickens. I never realized that people actually got close to their chickens and that they have personalities. I do know that with Mabel, it was love at first sight (though I don't know that it was reciprocal ). I'm just glad she felt safe enough at our place to make it her home for four days.

Old 03-03-2014, 05:37 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,362,239 times
that's a cute little EE owl!!!

heres my little banty cochins

Old 03-30-2014, 09:53 PM

Quick update on Mabel...

Johanna stopped by today with a half dozen fresh eggs for us. One of them had been laid by Mabel. It's been four weeks today since we turned her over to Johanna who, as you may recall, already had five hens. I asked her how Mabel was doing and she said she's having a little bit of a hard time adjusting. Apparently the other five have quite a little clique and haven't been particularly keen on having a newcomer join them. They haven't actually been hostile to Mabel, but they've let her know that she's not really one of them and that she needs to not make herself too muh at home. Johanna says the situation is gradually improving, but it's still not great.

So, I guess all I need to know from you good people now is this... How typical is this situation and will it likely resolve itself in time? I'm hoping you can all reassure me that I did what's best for Mabel.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds