U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 02:11 PM

24,887 posts, read 25,608,998 times

Advertisements

Okay, so I live in the Salt Lake City suburbs. Today I came home from getting my hair done, pulled into the garage, got out of my car and started to walk towards the door to my house. There, walking around the other side of my garage, where my husband parks (he's gone right now), there was a rooster! We don't live anywhere near anyone who has hens or a rooster -- at least not that I know of. The rooster has been hanging out in my front yard for the past hour. It's raining, and he can get shelter under the eaves. He's a little shy, but not terribly. He comes out from hiding every time I attempt to do a rooster crow! Seriously! I must be pretty good! I broke up some whole wheat bread and tossed it out to him. He seemed to be happy to eat it, and I sprinkled some sunflower seeds on the driveway. We use them to feed wild birds, but I have no idea how roosters like them.

So anyway, what do I do now? I'm such a sucker for animals, and I'm worried about him. This is a seriously bizarre thing to have happen in my neighborhood.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2014, 02:15 PM

2,975 posts, read 2,837,483 times
Awww...just be careful who you call, so he doesn't get euthanized as a "nuisance rooster". Nothing surprises me with people these days.

I have no idea how far they venture from their roosts or how long they can live just wandering around!

Old 02-27-2014, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeLW View Post
Awww...just be careful who you call, so he doesn't get euthanized as a "nuisance rooster". Nothing surprises me with people these days.

I have no idea how far they venture from their roosts or how long they can live just wandering around!
I called the Salt Lake City IFA, and they said if I could catch him they'd put him in a cage and offer to find him a free home in a nearby farming community. (That would be somewhere about a 30 to 45-minute drive from Salt Lake City.) He said farmers in the area often come into the store and see the free roosters they occasionally get and take one home.

I just don't want to turn this bird over to someone who's going to kill him. The guy at IFA sounded like he was on the up and up, but I just don't know.

Old 02-27-2014, 02:34 PM

10,942 posts, read 9,472,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Okay, so I live in the Salt Lake City suburbs. Today I came home from getting my hair done, pulled into the garage, got out of my car and started to walk towards the door to my house. There, walking around the other side of my garage, where my husband parks (he's gone right now), there was a rooster! We don't live anywhere near anyone who has hens or a rooster -- at least not that I know of. The rooster has been hanging out in my front yard for the past hour. It's raining, and he can get shelter under the eaves. He's a little shy, but not terribly. He comes out from hiding every time I attempt to do a rooster crow! Seriously! I must be pretty good! I broke up some whole wheat bread and tossed it out to him. He seemed to be happy to eat it, and I sprinkled some sunflower seeds on the driveway. We use them to feed wild birds, but I have no idea how roosters like them.

So anyway, what do I do now? I'm such a sucker for animals, and I'm worried about him. This is a seriously bizarre thing to have happen in my neighborhood.
Roosters (and hens) love sunflower seeds.

He may have ended up at your place because 1) he's an escapee from someone close by who has chickens (although you may not have realized they were there) or; 2) he got run off/chased off from where he was - possibly by a more dominant rooster and/or dogs - and then eventually found his way to you.

He'll be fine as far as the weather goes - he will find shelter under your eaves, under a car, or on your porch (lol). If you're really concerned about shelter, and you want him to stick around, if you have a pet carrier of some kind, you can put that out for him and see if he goes in (although they prefer to roost up high rather than to go into a small area on the ground).

Seriously, though, I have chickens, that although they can go into a perfectly good coop at night, choose to roost in trees......or on my front porch railing - regardless of the weather (snow, wind, rain, freezing temperatures....).

Your biggest concern for him, more than the weather, would be predators (most especially dogs and/or raccoons, coyotes, if you have them in your neighborhood).

As far as food, bread, the sunflower seeds, any bird seed, some veggies, etc. would be adequate (I doubt you want to go to your local feed store and buy a 50-pound bag of chicken food for one little rooster).

If you don't want to encourage him to stick around and you want to find him a new home, you could probably put an ad on Craigslist (although there's no guarantee he won't end up as soup stock). If you want to try and find his owner, you could always put flyers up.

Maybe you'd like to keep him? For bug control this summer?

Last edited by Cinebar; 02-27-2014 at 02:48 PM..

Old 02-27-2014, 02:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Roosters (and hens) love sunflower seeds.

He may have ended up at your place because 1) he's an escapee from someone close by who has chickens (although you may not have realized they were there) or; 2) he got run off/chased off from where he was - possibly by a more dominant rooster and/or dogs - and then eventually found his way to you.

He'll be fine as far as the weather goes - he will find shelter under your eaves, under a car, or on your porch (lol). If you're really concerned about shelter, and you want him to stick around, if you have a pet carrier of some kind, you can put that out for him and see if he goes in (although they prefer to roost up high rather than to go into a small area on the ground).

Seriously, though, I have chickens, that although they can go into a perfectly good coop at night, choose to roost in trees......or on my front porch railing - regardless of the weather (snow, wind, rain, freezing temperatures....).

Your biggest concern for him, more than the weather, would be predators (most especially dogs and/or raccoons).

As far as food, bread, the sunflower seeds, any bird seed, some veggies, etc. would be adequate (I doubt you want to go to your local feed store and buy a 50-pound bag of chicken food for one little rooster).

If you don't want to encourage him to stick around and you want to find him a new home, you could probably put an ad on Craigslist (although there's no guarantee he won't end up as soup stock). If you want to try and find his owner, you could always put flyers up.

Maybe you'd like to keep him? For bug control this summer?
Thank you, Cinebar! I wouldn't mind in the slightest if he were to stick around, and as my husband has finally figured out, when I make my mind up about an animal, there's little he can do about it. The problem is that I think roosters are illegal in my area -- because it's not rural enough and people object to their crowing. Personally, I'd love a rooster! I'm glad to hear that they can handle the cold. I think the worst of the winter weather around here is past. The temperatures will be in the low 40s tonight and shouldn't get too much colder than that in the coming weeks. Do I need to put anything down on the ground for him to make a bed out of? (I know that's probably a stupid question, but I am not a farm girl and I know nothing about roosters.)

If I do end up having to take him to IFA, do you have any suggestions as to how I should go about catching him? I know many birds don't see well in the dark (though obviously some see very well). I'm wondering if I should wait until dark to try to catch him. I have a no-kill raccoon trap. I wonder if that might be an option.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:06 PM

10,942 posts, read 9,472,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Thank you, Cinebar! I wouldn't mind in the slightest if he were to stick around, and as my husband has finally figured out, when I make my mind up about an animal, there's little he can do about it. The problem is that I think roosters are illegal in my area -- because it's not rural enough and people object to their crowing. Personally, I'd love a rooster! I'm glad to hear that they can handle the cold. I think the worst of the winter weather around here is past. The temperatures will be in the low 40s tonight and shouldn't get too much colder than that in the coming weeks. Do I need to put anything down on the ground for him to make a bed out of? (I know that's probably a stupid question, but I am not a farm girl and I know nothing about roosters.)

If I do end up having to take him to IFA, do you have any suggestions as to how I should go about catching him? I know many birds don't see well in the dark (though obviously some see very well). I'm wondering if I should wait until dark to try to catch him. I have a no-kill raccoon trap. I wonder if that might be an option.
Yeah, unfortunately, if it is illegal to have a crowing rooster, you may not have many options.

I don't now what kind of neighbors you have, but if you're on good terms with them, you might ask around and see if anybody would have any objection to his being around. Illegal or not, if nobody complains, you may not have a problem just letting him "hang out."

As far as a bed, like I said, you could see if he will go into a pet carrier at night, but I think it would be much more likely he will want someplace where he can roost up off the ground - maybe you and/or your husband can fashion him some little setup where he could be a few feet up off the ground and under some type of cover?

If you have to catch him, your best bet would be to wait until after dark and he's roosting (wherever that may be), and then just grab him from behind - you can grab him by the legs, one handed, and then hold him upside down; they're pretty helpless that way and it doesn't hurt them, no matter how loud they squawk and flap their wings. lol

You can also use a fish net. Put some of his favorite food out, and while he's busy with that, slip the fish net over him.

I have a live-trap, too, and have been setting it for the raccoon that's been getting my ducks and chickens, and I can attest to the fact that chickens will go into the trap. lol Just bait it with his favorite food.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinebar View Post
Yeah, unfortunately, if it is illegal to have a crowing rooster, you may not have many options.

I don't now what kind of neighbors you have, but if you're on good terms with them, you might ask around and see if anybody would have any objection to his being around. Illegal or not, if nobody complains, you may not have a problem just letting him "hang out."

As far as a bed, like I said, you could see if he will go into a pet carrier at night, but I think it would be much more likely he will want someplace where he can roost up off the ground - maybe you and/or your husband can fashion him some little setup where he could be a few feet up off the ground and under some type of cover?

If you have to catch him, your best bet would be to wait until after dark and he's roosting (wherever that may be), and then just grab him from behind - you can grab him by the legs, one handed, and then hold him upside down; they're pretty helpless that way and it doesn't hurt them, no matter how loud they squawk and flap their wings. lol

You can also use a fish net. Put some of his favorite food out, and while he's busy with that, slip the fish net over him.

I have a live-trap, too, and have been setting it for the raccoon that's been getting my ducks and chickens, and I can attest to the fact that chickens will go into the trap. lol Just bait it with his favorite food.
Thank you! Thank you! This information has been so helpful!

Just one more question... There is really no place where we could build "up" and still be out of the rain. There is a window well about 18 inches deep right by where he's been hanging out. Would he possibly decide to use it, or would "down" not be an option he'd go for?

Most of my neighbors are animal lovers, so I may just try to keep him around. One thing, though... would he get lonesome for female "companionship" being all alone?

I just talked to my husband on the phone. He's been at an appointment and just called to let me know that he was on his way home. I told him he needed to hurry, so that I could show him my new pet. There was the longest silence on the other end.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:25 PM

6,591 posts, read 23,347,719 times
chickens are pretty easy to catch if you catch them after dark roosting...depending on what type of chicken he is though they can get pretty high in a tree, if he roosts down low enough, wait till dark, make sure hes comfortably roosting and just quietly walk up behind him, while you CAN hold them upside down like cin suggested its NOT recommended to do it for a long time, once you get him keep 1 hand on both legs and tuck him UNDER your arm keeping his wings close to his body. roosters have spurs (large claws on their ankles) so DO NOT let go of those legs, most chickens are faily calm once up and secure, but some will kick out or flap (and those wings are STRONG) (only reason I suggest holding the feet is because of those spurs!
gently put him head first into a carrier or cage and tada
a large net also works...

Chicken Keeping Basics - How To Pick Up A Chicken - YouTube

that's assuming hes a barnyard roo...
if that's the case hes likely been a rooster that was sold as a hen (many cities allow backyard hens but don't allow roos for noise issues) as a chick and tuned out he wrong gender, the family likely just let him wander off (or released him purposely) or he got over a fence...

however, I don't know what your areas like for game birds (**** fighting rooseters) there often kept in tiny cages in garages and sheds that have been soundproofed, its usually easy to tell a game ****, they'll have little to no comb on the head, be generally smaller and slimmer and fast...
if hes a game bird id suggest a net, they tend to be much more aggressive and those big spurs on a barnyard roo are bigger on a game roo and he wont be afraid to use him. game roos often escape...
ive got a neightbor who raises game chickens...and one of the ways they "test for gamenes" (see if there fight worthy) is to put a foot or hand up against the cage and se if the rooster tries to attack...these are prime fighting birds" (he claims he doesn't fight them but wants to "keep the gamness" (I belive that...NOT...but the authorities wont do diddly squat, ive tried)
so if you think he might be a game roo...id generaly leave him be unles syou can lure him into a cage or net him.

a big enough crate with some cracked corn and oats and sunflower seeds inside however might also be a good option stay close enough that once he enters you an close the door with a brrom handle or soething...

my chickens eat right out of my hand so like in the vid I generally lure em over and just reach down lol
if you don't mind him sticking around though talk to your neightbors, chickens are great at keeping ticks, fleas and flys away, they also LOVE lawn grubs and Japanese beetle larvae, and those nasty tomato horn worms too..
only downside is they do stratch and can make a serious mess in flower gardens.

Old 02-27-2014, 03:27 PM

if you decide to keep him, while hed enjoy female companions if its not legal to keep hens in your area it wouldn't be worth the risk, however as I said MANY cities now have ordinances allowing a couple of backyard hens...and youd tell anyone who asks the truth...I dunno where the rooster came form he just showed up one day must have been loney, ive not been able to catch him...

Old 02-27-2014, 03:28 PM

Salt Lake City Utah Chicken Ordinance - BackYard Chickens Community
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds