Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2014, 07:40 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,573,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Why are you always so rude to posters ?
Because I am NOT. Are you always accusing people of being something they are not?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-16-2014, 07:36 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
LOL Clearly you have never owned a large bird.

When my cockatoo starts screeching, I can hear her from outside of the house up to almost 1/4 of a mile away.

OP I have no advice, but you do have my sympathy, I would be heartbroken if I had to rehome my bird. Good luck finding him a good home. You might ask your bird vet for advice.
Are you kidding? You are equating a cockatoo with a grey when it comes to their screeches?!!!! You have absolutely no clue. My grey, who will be eleven this fall, is no where near as loud as my two macaws fully grown and full sized greenwings, who are no where near as loud as any large cockatoo like a mulaccan....The greys are usually most easy to deal/live with because they would rather whistle, make strange noises or talk back to you instead of screeching. Keep the bird and be discreet and smart.

Old 09-16-2014, 07:44 PM

5,788 posts, read 5,101,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swagger View Post
YOU DON'T KNOW THAT!

Like I wrote above, I lived in apartments for over 10 years with my grey, without a single complaint. Your grey isn't exactly extraordinary with it's noise. I guarantee your bird is no louder than mine.

If you truly want to keep the bird, TRY it first. Why not move in somewhere and SEE if you get complaints before banishing a member of your family? If you move into an apartment and the manager comes to you with a complaint, you can consider your options then. You can't un-giveaway your bird if you find out after moving that he would have been fine there.

I really don't understand why you're so set on getting rid of your pet. You say that you're heartbroken over it, but person after person has told you that you'd probably be fine in an apartment and you're still dead set on giving him up. It doesn't make any sense.
That's because I think deep down inside, the OP actually does want to get rid of her bird. The fear of noise and complaint is just a convenient excuse. Lots of people are like this, and they then come for the sympathies and the affirmation to lighten their feelings of guilt.

Old 09-17-2014, 08:18 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
some of the comments in this thread...just wow.

op, if you feel you need to rehome the bird it sounds like that person is a great match...

to people who say greys arnt "that loud" while its true they don't compare to a cockatoo or large macaw they are STILL LOUD, they are also loud enough that in an aparemtnet it could EASILY cause issues with the neighbors...some greys are quieter than others, some "talk" more than scream which obviously is much less offensive, but others don't, others make loud high pitched beeps that piece eardrums, other pick up fowl language, I knew one grey who repeated all the terrifying sounds of a domestic abuse situation that he lived in for 4 years...which included enough swearing crying and screaming that the woman had cops at her door for 3 years after moving out of the situation becau eneighbors thought someone was being murdered in the house...
I know one grey whos favorite thing to do all day is make the sound of a fire engine siren and a small dog howling...and hed happily do it all day every day...
a grey is perfectly capable of making sustended sounds loud enough to be heard outside of a normal building and across the street...

ANY large bird is not typically a good choice for an apartment complex as a generality...while some make it work, some don't...
personally id rather find a rental HOUSE and keep the bird, but not all people have that option...
not all folks have the option of "waiting it out" and "hoping for the best" what if there was no "plan b" ?

as for the "caged birds don't count as pets comment...
that my frined is just flat out bull!
cages animals still count...SOME "pet free" apartments do allow caged animals....others however DO NOT...
NEVER EVER EVER assume if a place says "no pets" they ONLY mean dogs and cats...
and NEVER EVER EVER play the if my landlord doesn't know it wont hurt me or my pets game...

ive seen Way too many animal come through various rescues, fosters and rehoming situations from people who assumed and then couldn't keep the pet...its unfair to the animal and completely avoidable.

whatever the ops reasoning thye need to do what THEY feel is right for their bird and their living situation, better they come here and ask about rescue/rehoming options than stick it in a bo on the local animal shelter doorstep and hope for the best...

Old 09-19-2014, 08:30 AM

836 posts, read 3,381,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
Your apology is accepted this time. Next time, be careful!
Ha I will probably NOT be careful.. I don't always read every ones post.. No need for you to be rude to me!

Old 09-20-2014, 04:08 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,851,089 times
wolfeyes...don't read too much into it lol..best to just hit the ignore" button on this one lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds