Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2014, 09:29 PM

1,417 posts, read 2,181,198 times

Advertisements

I am heartbroken to part with our Grey. Circumstances out of our control have us moving to a 2 bedroom apartment. Our Grey talks up a storm, is funny and sweet but he has a definite screeching time in the early morning and evening. That will be unacceptable in an apartment.
The other issues are that he is very bonded to me and bites anyone else.
I dont know a soul who will take him.
What do people do in these cases?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-04-2014, 06:50 AM

7,102 posts, read 4,825,782 times
Check out ParrotFestival.org . They are a parrot rescue group in the Houston area. I didn't read the entire page, but they must have a "contact us" section.

Good luck!

Eta that website looks old, but if you follow the link to petfinder there's a page for the National Parrot Rescue and Preservation Foundation with contact info.

Old 08-04-2014, 07:49 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
I am heartbroken to part with our Grey. Circumstances out of our control have us moving to a 2 bedroom apartment. Our Grey talks up a storm, is funny and sweet but he has a definite screeching time in the early morning and evening. That will be unacceptable in an apartment.
The other issues are that he is very bonded to me and bites anyone else.
I dont know a soul who will take him.
What do people do in these cases?
When an apartment says "no pets," they are referring to cats and dogs, not CAGED birds.

If you keep your birds in a room during his screeching time, your neighbors wouldn't even notice.

And don't be stupid and voluntarily disclose to your landlord that you have a bird. You don't tell, no one will ever know. Unless your neighbor complain. If it comes to that, you go to your Plan B. Have a Plan B in place just in case you need to get there.

Old 08-04-2014, 11:38 PM

1,110 posts, read 2,471,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post
When an apartment says "no pets," they are referring to cats and dogs, not CAGED birds.

If you keep your birds in a room during his screeching time, your neighbors wouldn't even notice.

And don't be stupid and voluntarily disclose to your landlord that you have a bird. You don't tell, no one will ever know. Unless your neighbor complain. If it comes to that, you go to your Plan B. Have a Plan B in place just in case you need to get there.
And what would your plan B be Quaker?

Old 08-05-2014, 11:39 AM

7,102 posts, read 4,825,782 times
How to Donate Your Bird | Birdlink Sanctuary, Inc.

Old 08-05-2014, 11:45 AM

6,044 posts, read 24,095,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaker15 View Post

LOL Clearly you have never owned a large bird.

When my cockatoo starts screeching, I can hear her from outside of the house up to almost 1/4 of a mile away.

OP I have no advice, but you do have my sympathy, I would be heartbroken if I had to rehome my bird. Good luck finding him a good home. You might ask your bird vet for advice.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:42 PM

23,861 posts, read 24,115,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vicket View Post
Our Grey talks up a storm, is funny and sweet but he has a definite screeching time in the early morning and evening. That will be unacceptable in an apartment.
I lived for a total of over 10 years in two apartments with my grey, who is also very noisy in the mornings and evenings (like most birds). I never got a single complaint.

Keep your bird - s/he is a member of your family.

Old 08-05-2014, 12:54 PM

836 posts, read 3,382,999 times
I agree with swagger You should keep your bird! We have an African Grey and a Red Lored Amazon parrot. These types of birds can get attached to their owners... I would suggest you find a bird owner, so your grey isn't devastated because It can go into depression and pluck all his/her feathers out..Just think more on it and if you do decide to find it a home...please choose new owners wisely..

Old 08-05-2014, 04:54 PM

3,978 posts, read 4,578,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeyes View Post
I agree with swagger You should keep your bird!
I posted the same advise BEFORE swagger and you totally did not acknowledge my post. Anyways....

Old 08-05-2014, 05:07 PM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
yep gotta say keep your bird Im sorry I listened to some stupid dr and re homed mine because of my asthma and now my new dr says that there are things you can do to avoid it like putting the bird in a separate room , etc wow and my husband was kind of yeah get rid of the bird ...wow I still resent him for that . Oh well take care and have a great day and keep your bird but yeah they can be loud and keep a plan b in place just in case .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds