U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-23-2014, 10:04 AM

5 posts, read 6,279 times

Advertisements

Hi I'm taking care of two lovebirds for my bf brother he's going to be gone and won't be back for 6 months. Im new at caring for birds and need some help. Any tips would be very appreciated.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2014, 11:47 PM

3,978 posts, read 3,775,635 times
Make sure it has seeds and water at all time and away from direct sunlight for a lengthy time. That's it!

Old 09-09-2014, 05:16 AM

5 posts, read 6,279 times
Is there any advice on how to stop the birds from biting? The female is really aggressive she's bites my fingers and have broken through skin a few times and just today she attacked the male where she bit a chunk of his feathers he was bleeding. The birds are scared of my hands and I've tried using a stick but they just attack it or run away. I recently made a furry tent for them and my bf made their cage a lot bigger we've added lots of sticks for them to climb on we put their cage outside in the shade. And at nighttime when we bring the cage back inside the house and open the cage so they can stretch their wings and explore.. But even though I've done all that but they continue to bite me and my bf. any tips on the biting?

Old 09-09-2014, 07:26 PM

4,533 posts, read 7,283,063 times
The biter might be protecting it's mate. I don't recommend that you try to "discourage" the female, just be aware.

Old 09-09-2014, 09:11 PM

Why are you try to tame it. You're pet sitting. Just feed them and leave them alone. That's it!

Old 09-10-2014, 08:43 AM

6,591 posts, read 22,727,714 times
theres nothing harder to "tame" than a bonded pair of lovebirds...
unless your bf's brother bought them specifically as hand tame pets personally id just leave them be...
the nly realy way to tame down a TRUE pair (male and female/bonded same sex couple) is to separate them..and with lovebirds the stress of that could avery well kill them...
Love birds bond VERY strongly with their partner...if you've got 2 lovebirds sharing a cage that partner will NEVER be the human...EVER.

she probably bit him as a safety measure, birds talk with their beak (bites, nips, faking it ect) if she was stressed and felt her mate was in danger she would rather correct him harshly by biting and possibly drawing blood than let him do something stupid that in her mind could have been very dangerous...
she was very likely just stressed and telling him to back off...

I honestly highly doubt youll ever tame down a pair of lovvies...if you want a handleable pet lovebird you have to get a handfed bird whos been handled frequently or a youngster, keep them single so they bond with you ad spend ALOT of time with them.
in all my experience with birds, lvoebirds are one of THE most difficult in terms of pemperment/personality...those little guys have HUGE personalities and tend to like to show it.

Old 09-10-2014, 11:17 AM

4,533 posts, read 7,283,063 times
It isn't the OP's decision to try to tame the lovebirds unless they own them. Just take care of them for the next 6 months like you offered to do so and don't try to modify their behavior.

As per the original question, you should offer raw vegetables/fruit and see what they prefer in addition to a seed diet. Strictly seed diets are not the best thing, but the birds can live on it.

Old 09-12-2014, 08:42 AM

6,591 posts, read 22,727,714 times
actually the op didn't put wether or not the owner wants them handled, wants them tamed/trained/whatever, mabe the owner asked the OP to handle them or try to make them friendly ect...

we only know what the original question is and that's HOW...the answer is, with a pair, expscielaly untamed and bonded..its not likely they will ever be truly tame.

Old 09-13-2014, 08:46 AM

We are just pointing our that the OP is going into the wrong direction as the OP is ignorant.

Old 09-13-2014, 09:29 AM

2,192 posts, read 2,159,182 times
The advice given here so far is correct.

1) Love birds that are paired do not take to being hand tamed. In fact most unpaired lovebirds also do not take well to hand taming and would preer another love bird for company. It is their nature.

2) Once they are bonded separating them is a recipe for one or both of them dying.

3) It would be wise for the OP to stop trying to handle these animals. Especially since they do not belong to her.

4) The OP should get some books on the subject and become informed as to the proper care and needs of these birds.

And I will add

5) If the OP would like to play with a bird that can be handled and hand tamed I recommend she go out and buy a budgie. Just one. Preferably male and young. And get literature o their care and needs and how to train them. They are a more appropriate choice for someone who wants birds that they can interact with physically.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds