U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 12:30 AM

1,110 posts, read 2,174,207 times

Advertisements

We have a great 8 year old female Senegal. She is a comic and imitates a number of sounds. I know Senegals are not known for speaking abilities. Our bird "Reba" has never said a clear word and just wondered if anyone had one that could speak clearly .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-10-2015, 03:36 PM

6,591 posts, read 22,890,161 times
ive got a buddy with a Senegal that kinda talks, not much...and only VERY VERY simple words (hi, hello, pretty boy, yummy, ba-nnnnnaannnnaaaaas (that's how he says it lol) but no real chatter, its more 1 clear word with a lot of garbled stuff inbetwen, he loves to imitate other sounds though.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxywench View Post
ive got a buddy with a Senegal that kinda talks, not much...and only VERY VERY simple words (hi, hello, pretty boy, yummy, ba-nnnnnaannnnaaaaas (that's how he says it lol) but no real chatter, its more 1 clear word with a lot of garbled stuff inbetwen, he loves to imitate other sounds though.
Yep thats pretty much what mine does, she laughs, does the wolf whistle and imitates a fart sound

Old 01-11-2015, 05:24 PM

3,978 posts, read 3,814,716 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dober1 View Post
imitates a fart sound
He imitates what he hears on a regular basis.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:33 PM

33 posts, read 35,750 times
My wife and I Had a Senegal that would say our names Bob,Holly and she knew my name was Bob and wife's was Holly. I know this because if Holly was not home she would only call out Bob and vice a versa. When we were both home she always called out for Holly unless she was mad at her then she wanted me. Laugh, fart sound, dog bark.cat meow, the mocking birds sounds out side. The most unusual thing was when she would be sitting on my shoulder and I would be talking to someone she would wait for a break in the conversation and whisper in my ear telling me all the secrets of the world or so she thought I think. I never could quite make out the words but it seemed to be important. If she did not like the person or conversation she would nipple my ear and for really strong dislike bite the crap out of it. She didn't always say clear words but my wife and I always knew what she was saying.
Thanks for having that ? up. Our Yatsey has passed and you brought back some good memories of her. We do miss her. Even after 2 years there is still a hole in our hearts.
Hear not the words but what they are saying,
Fishinfor

Old 01-12-2015, 12:39 AM

Got any photos fishinfor? We love our girl, how long did your Senegal live?
Attached Thumbnails
Anyone have a Senegal that talks-reba.jpg  

Old 01-14-2015, 08:19 PM

61 posts, read 73,517 times
My Senegal is about 13 years old now; he loves being talked to and will bob his head to music (as most birds will do). His vocabulary isn't as good as my African Grey, but here is a list of what he says: (not in any order)
good morning, take a bath, come'ear, it's ok, oh what a pretty bird, hi, go poo po, more,
When he hears the kitchen water running, he will say take a bath; if I don't stop and get him he will climb down his open cage, run, and I mean run, across the kitchen floor, hop on my foot, climb my leg until he gets to my arm and work his way down my arm till he reaches the faucet. It usually means we both take a bath! - and my dishes don't get done.
Love this bird; he is so social but spoiled and always wants to be with either my husband or myself (mostly hubbie)

Old 01-15-2015, 12:23 AM

Hancock could a stranger understand your Senegal? I've noticed many times people who own the birds say they understand the bird but strangers cannot.

Old 01-15-2015, 03:07 PM

61 posts, read 73,517 times
for sure...but he won't talk on request

Old 01-17-2015, 12:44 PM

24,393 posts, read 21,362,391 times
My Senegal is 14 years now. He says "goodnight, hi baby, Mommy, can you see me?, I love you, I'll be back, bahbye, nite-nite,". He calls whatever cat/dog or other bird I have by name. He's outlived 1 dog, 3 parakeets, 1 finch and 2 cats. Called them all by their names. The only sound he used to mimick was the sound of my late hubby's beer cans popping open.

Senegals are known to be the best talkers, next to African Greys. Don't know where the OP heard they weren't known for talking. I'm glad he brought them up though. No, won't talk on request. As a matter of fact, won't talk around strangers.

Little side story....

TwoBee, my Senegal, did not like Daddy (my late hubby). One day when I was getting off of work, hubby called to tell me TwoBee had flown right through a screen on the partioroom and flew away. I was devastated. I spent the rest of the afternoon walking up and down the streets of the hill I lived on at the beach. I could hear him but couldn't find him. On the 3rd day, I was talking to Daddy when I beard "Mommy! Mommy!" I could tell where it came from and saw his orange and yellow. I ran down the street and tried to coax him down, to no avail. He took off and I followed his trail calling him. I once again heard "Mommy, Mommy"! There he was on a lady's front lawn. I started to walk towards him and he ran to me, up my arm and onto my shoulder. The lady wanted to drive us home but that would have spooked Toobs again. I walked up the Hill scared crazy that a hawk would swoop down. Crying all the way, tears of joy that I had my baby back. That was 4 years ago and Daddy, Salem, Missy(cats), Charlie(parakeet), Sunny(finch), Mickey(dog) have all died on me so Toobs has no one to be jealous of except the new cat I adopted last year. (Missy was 26 years old!)

I know TwoBee would talk more if we had been home more when he was a baby to talk more to him but we were gone 12-15 hours a day for work.

He used to scream like crazy at Daddy until I put him to bed and hubby was always threatening me with the bird or him. I'd calm him down until the next time. Then one day I had had enough of the screaming and hubby going crazy over it since it drove me nuts too, so I gave up and told hubby I would find another home for my baby. Hubby then said no, he would be dead and I would be without both of them. He didn't want that. (We knew hubby was dying) So now Toobs has me all to himself, almost.

Sorry to side track but that's a story about my Senegal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds