U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2015, 07:17 PM

33,566 posts, read 14,107,962 times

Advertisements

So, today I contacted both the New Mexico and Arizona state vets to find about any paperwork needed to carry a parrot across the state lines. The New Mexico state vet basically said no, why would you need something for a pet bird (although their website actually says differently). The Arizona vet said I absolutely need a health certificate from a certified vet.

So things do differ from state to state.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2015, 03:45 PM

61 posts, read 72,472 times
I am just reading your posts and thought I'd share my experience with my Senegal parrot and travelling by car from NJ to Floridal earlier this year. Here are some lessons learned - oh, I didn't think to check on State laws for transports -
1. We clipped his nails too close to our leave date; he was not able to hold onto the perch in his cage and instead clung to the side of the cage; since I was travelling with my husband, after an hour and a half, I got into the back seat and took him out for a few minutes just to give him a rest. Next time - we'll do at least two and a half weeks before we leave.
2. Be sure you have sun shades on your side windows; even with covering the cage with a sheet - the sun will peak in more than you'd like.
3. Bring bottled water and fill the cup - but not fully; hit a bump and there is water all over...
4. Bring toys - my Senegal likes to chew so we brought some chew toys to keep him occupied.
5. As long as they can see you they will be ok; that was told to me by other posters and it was true.
6. Bring newspaper to put on floor of the hotel room in front of travel cage as seed will get all over (our bird will stay on the top of his cage so we did let him out for awhile and also let him ride on our shoulder. They do need to be out of cage a bit every day.
7. We bought a small carry cage - with a screened vent at the top - and carried him into McDonalds with us when we stopped for a bite. IT was small enough that people didn't notice and the bird was quiet. Just looked at us like he was thinking - "and where are you taking me now". this was in addition to the car cage we bought for the back seat; that cage was carried into the hotel room at night and worked out perfectly; the small carry cage transported him from the hotel room back into the car and car cage; be sure to keep your doors and windows closed when you switch him/her.
8. Bring some treats and food - like an apple - that you can cut up and feed through cage. We also brought peanut butter crackers which he seemed to love. Not sure how good it is for them though, but he basically just tore it apart.
9. Call ahead for hotels that may be listed as not pet friendly; if they are in a small area and you explain you have a small caged bird they may let you stay; we lucked out at one hotel; but not larger chains like Marriott's and some others.
10. We made sure the air conditioning vent didn't blow in his direction in the car or hotel room
11. Overall, my husband and I were a lot more stressed than the bird ever was; he adjusted fine and actually on our trip home, he just sat on his perch and slept or watched us most of the trip; even sang to the radio music.
12. Oh, bring a small water spray bottle if you are taking a long trip; he might enjoy a spritz or two to keep his feathers in good shape; but watch hotel air conditioning.
13. We also called ahead to hotels and asked for no aerosole sprays to be used in the room or strong detergents. I told them I had allergies - which I do. I've been told birds might be sensitive to those sprays and smells.
Bring wine for yourself; you'll need it after your first road trip! Feel free to pm me with any questions.
Have a good trip!

Old 07-31-2015, 08:58 PM

Thanks, Hancock52!

Most I had already thought of, a few I hadn't. My vet had a good suggestion -- do a few trail runs on the interstate. She said her birds freaked out going under overpasses.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:33 PM

24,383 posts, read 21,237,424 times
I took my Senegal for a road trip from MA-Texas and stopped in Fla. on the way home. It never occurred to me to call any state officials about our trip! It was just he and I. I have a small carry case that I put him in with a perch and water bottle with paper towels on the bottom for quick clean up. I use the cage my two parakeets used to live in for when we got to a motel or wherever we were staying. That had water and food cups, perches and toys in it.

I was surprised at the number of "cheap" hotels that aren't pet friendly. Motel 6 seemed to be the best. One place in Savannah, Ga. only charged me $5 for him. I only ate take out so I didn't have to leave him in the car by himself. I even took him to restrooms off the highways with me! There's a great rest stop just over the Texas border from La. on Rt. 10 that has a nature walk along some byous. I took him with me. I made sure his wings and nails were clipped "just in case". He sat in the front seat next to me and was as happy as he could be in his situation.

I took his carry case into the hotel rooms and then brought the bigger one in and had him stay in that for the nights. He was a good boy. He usually screams but he kept quiet the whole time especially when I told him goodnight and covered him. I kept him covered except for the corner next to me when we drove in the daylight. I had all the a/c vents pointing at me so he didn't get a chill. I don't keep him in hot temps anyway, just what occurs naturally and sometimes with a/c on at home. I also don't crank up the heat when winter's coming. I let him acclimate to cooler temps and then raise the heat little by little.

He's a tropical bird but doesn't know it.

Your bird is very pretty, phetaroi. I wish you a safe and happy trip. I doubt you will run into any problems. TwoBee and I spent almost two weeks on the road and we were fine. Met a lot of nice people at the rest areas when we stopped for drinks, eatting and potty runs. They always loved seeing a traveling bird.

Old 08-02-2015, 12:08 PM

Thanks, Tamiznluv!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds