Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-02-2015, 09:03 AM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times

Advertisements

they typically mix fledeglings of the same age range, its actually VERY good for them, they help teach eachother to fly and forage in these pens...
no they wont "learn the wrong song" so to speak, because theres no such thing, fledeglings in the nest are exposed to thouhsands of other birds songs every day of their early life...and then over the following years they piece together their own, EVERY birds song is different, every song a compliation of what its been exposed to over the years (some species are more adept to pickuing p other birds songs easily and teach themselves very complex numbers, others (like catbirds) are not and tend to keep a fairly simple song, but every song is unique to thebird rather than the species...
they are also not likely to be ptting him in some tiny little cage...
FINCHES are highly territorial once SEXUALLY mature, however that behavior is not typical in youngsters (no territory or raging hormonal needs a this age) AND they use large aivaries not small hose cages...in these settings the birds interact in ways that NORMAL wild birds would...and they teach each other how to be birds...something humans cannot do...

ive rehabbed a nmber of song birds (and raptors) and this is a normal typical way of rehabbing youngsters...
WE as humans are not birds, we cannot teach a wild bird how to be a brd...they learn that watching other birds and "testing" (jumping and flapping, pecking a the ground ect) when these birds are exposed to eachother in the same general age group they learn much faster and are much better adapted to release...
at time of release these aviaries with a number of birds of about the same age are then opened and left open, the youngsters come and go as they wish for a few weeks, food is provided in the aviary for about 2 weeks) once the birds are fre flying, secure and know how to forage in the outside world, the aviary door is closed and they are left to go live their little birdy lives...(though most rehab facilities maintain lots of wild bird feeders in the open spaces around the property for the birds that choose not to travel far, or need a little extra help...

its understandable that youd be worried, but honestly you did the right thing...this is a wild bird, and he needs to learn how to be a bird from other birds...
the rehabbers at his age wont do much with him, hell be pt in a safe flight cage, they will provide lots of easy acess food and water and hell be left to learn how to be a bird and not be dependant on people.
he has the best chance at being a NORMAL HEALTHY wild bird this way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2015, 03:05 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,201,370 times
Foxy, I meant putting a fledgling in with other, bigger birds would not be a good idea. I don't think the OP has any idea what kind of bird sanctuary this is except for being a multi-million $$$ private home. I may have the wrong idea about this place.

Thanks for your, as usual, great info. I've missed seeing you!

Old 08-07-2015, 04:14 PM

6,591 posts, read 24,862,283 times
in with other much older/larger birds or none song bird species yes that could be a big issue, but if they are a real rehab place (and id hope a vet wouldn't suggest them if not) then its perfectly normal and fine to mix with similar age range song birds (which is what I HOPE they do...)

thanks, lifes been a little nutty and I'm battling some bad health (fibro stuff) but I'm chugging along lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Birds